Why no THX optimiser on Star Wars blu rays??

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

I received my Star Wars complete saga bluray set yesterday and was really surprised to find no THX optimiser on any of the discs (that i could find), so i'm just wondering why this is the case?

I saw an article in the WHF news section about the discs carrying some sort of THX codec for auto calibration with compatible equipment which doesn't seem to exist right now so to leave out any other form of calibration tool on the discs does seem to be a big oversight imo especially as THX branded dvd's carried the calibration tool, i was looking forward to a revamped version of it for HD screens....it seems my hopes were misplaced.

The blurays as whole i'm really happy with but this has been the one disappointment i wasn't expecting so if anyone could shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Lee H said:
Use your eyes Luke. You must feel the settings around you. ;)

PS - The Dark Side is acceptable in this instance

So the force is strong in this one after all??

Gone back for a 2nd look but i still can't find it, am i blind or is there some kind of jedi mind trick going on here?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
13846_1267508613326_1398145009_30753086_8016075_n.jpg

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The answer is there just doesn't seem to be one! I've been through the menus on every film now and i can't find any sign of a THX optimiser anywhere...it does seem like one hell of an over sight for such a major release.

I even went through the bounus discs just to make sure it wasn't hidden away somewhere stupid but it would seem the dark side has prevailed in this instance...nooooooo.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The older DVD release had this, why not pop that in and use it. I got my copy too yesterday and it did not dawn on me. However I am tempted to go 6.1 for these films alone..... over the top i know!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
The older DVD release had this, why not pop that in and use it. I got my copy too yesterday and it did not dawn on me. However I am tempted to go 6.1 for these films alone..... over the top i know!

I do use the thx optimiser on dvd but i was looking forward to a HD version for bluray with a revamp for HD tvs in the hope that it would reap better results for screen calibration as the dvd version was produced a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Going to 6.1 is not over the top atall! I've got 7.1 and have to say that the soundtrack to the star wars blurays sounds lovely and really makes the most of that extra surround channel...go on go to 6.1, you know you want to :grin:

manicm

And in the absence of that wonderful technology, good old trial and error is the best bet. Forget so-called optimisers. Yes it took me a week of fiddling but I finally made settings I was happy with across the board. And these optimisers also surprisingly ignore backlighting adjustment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts