Why no section for DACs?

idc

In the awards issue DACs are in with digital media and accessories and in the buyers guide with CD players. Between Firestone, Cambridge, Musical Fidelity, Chord, Pro-ject, Beresford, Naim, Cyrus and Benchmark surely they deserve their own space now? Or are DACs still in a minority with a smaller market share than projectors, multichannel power amps and processors which do get their own sections?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc:....Or are DACs still in a minority with a smaller market share than projectors, multichannel power amps and processors which do get their own sections?

You just answered the question. DACs are a minority interest accessory. Even if we disagree about their importance, most people don't know what they do - or what they are for - and neither do most of them care. (Plus DACs look boring.)

They probably rank right 'up there' with phono pre-amp boxes in aesthetics and relevance for most readers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We will have a separate online section for DAC reviews in the coming months, but not imminently - some black magic required before that's possible
emotion-5.gif

And we review Awards categories each year and add/amend as we feel is necessary. It was only when we finished judging, for example, that we realised how many winners we had in the Digital Media category. That'll probably be divided up somehow next year.

idc

Thanks Clare. Out of interest, a while back you had some sort of sales figures list which had headphones very high up, or rising significantly or something. How are DACs doing?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That'd be this blog on CE sales figures earlier this year. Sadly, Gfk - the research company that tracks industry data - also don't break out DACs separately yet, so they haven't been able to give us a definitive figure. They'll get there eventually: it's only been a while since we've been able to track Blu-ray player sales separately from DVD!

daveh75

idc:Thanks again. Now I know, I quite like the idea of being an early adaptor, in the minority, it makes me feel special.Not really an early adoptor since seperate DAC's have been around getting on for 20 years...We're all just putting them to a greater use by feeding them with various sources.

John Duncan

idc:Well both you and I have one, as does JD. Is that not enough? Or does Joel have to get one as well?

Joel has one too. He bought his new CD player specifially because it had a digital in...

But no, I think you overemphasis our importance in the big scheme of hifiness. And apart from that, adding new subchannels on the site is a total pain in the ----.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
one off:more to the point why no section for oppo
Especially for you:

http://whathifi.com/Oppo/

Whoa! The Oppo got 4 stars? Mr Harris must have achieved critical mass when that happened! (I did not hear about about the meltdown on BBC news.)

I would go look at 'that thread', but last time it was growing faster than I could read it so I gave up.

TRENDING THREADS