Why is the same speaker branded with another companies brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dappygit

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys.
I set a trend at school for buying turntables and mixers. Together we found looking through djmag and sound-on-sound magazines that the exact same budget turntable was being rebadged with a different company logo.
What is this called and what are the principles?
Alex Edgar

It’s OEM sourcing, which is very common. There are some generic Chinese turntables, that mostly look like cheaper Technics SL1200s to my eyes. And massively successful European manufacturers like Pro-ject make a vast range, as well as EAT and other brands. Clearaudio make for Marantz and Naim.

Have a think about VW cars, and Seat, and Audi, and Skoda. They all share parts, ‘chassis’ designs, and especially the engines.

Reactions: WayneKerr

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
It happens all over the place for various reasons, the best brand I can think of here in the UK/EU is Vauxhall and Opel cars they are literally the same car with a different badge. And it's not just sharing the same parts they are identical.

It boils down to the marketing and the heritage of that band in that country.

Some brands make products for other factories under a different name eg sharp made pioneer DVD players for a short time, now they make Onkyo products and by virtue pioneer again. BUT sharp aren't silly enough to stick their name on though they could in certain regions I'm sure.

Reactions: Al ears
It’s OEM sourcing, which is very common. There are some generic Chinese turntables, that mostly look like cheaper Technics SL1200s to my eyes. And massively successful European manufacturers like Pro-ject make a vast range, as well as EAT and other brands. Clearaudio make for Marantz and Naim.

Have a think about VW cars, and Seat, and Audi, and Skoda. They all share parts, ‘chassis’ designs, and especially the engines.
Those cars you mention all come under the umbrella of the VAG Group. Same with Alfa Romeo, owned by FCA (FIAT/Chrysler Automobiles). They share same/similar components.
That's very different to hi-fi components that look familiar but are made by companies not well known for making a product.

Hi guys.
I set a trend at school for buying turntables and mixers. Together we found looking through djmag and sound-on-sound magazines that the exact same budget turntable was being rebadged with a different company logo.
What is this called and what are the principles?
Alex Edgar
it simply means nobody has the ability to produce a decent turntable without considerable expenditure on development costs so simply buys one in from China and sticks their own name plaque on it.....
Brand engineering as somebody has already said

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts