Why is Arcam so controversial?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
griffy:Cypher:Eddie Pound:
Arcam?

It's just boring.

zzzzzzzz

My opinion also. Arcam doesn't let you enjoy your music, it sounds so lame.

Surely you want to listen to your music, untainted from the cd player and amplifier. Not add something that wasn't already on the recording? If you do, why don't you buy a cheap Aiwa and a graphic equaliser so you can fiddle!
Even if the original recording is exciting, on the arcam it sounds lifeless and dull. But that's just my opinion.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Cypher:griffy:Cypher:Eddie Pound:

Arcam?

It's just boring.

zzzzzzzz

My opinion also. Arcam doesn't let you enjoy your music, it sounds so lame.

Surely you want to listen to your music, untainted from the cd player and amplifier. Not add something that wasn't already on the recording? If you do, why don't you buy a cheap Aiwa and a graphic equaliser so you can fiddle!
Even if the original recording is exciting, on the arcam it sounds lifeless and dull. But that's just my opinion.

Which Arcam? That's like saying all Hondas are slow.

John Duncan

JoelSim:Which Arcam? That's like saying all Hondas are slow.

Hear, hear....this is why I've kept out of this
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

In my opinion, Arcam make well built, well designed hi-fi that suits a huge number of listeners. They are an excellent company who look after their customers and sit right at the epicentre of the British hi-fi industry.

However, I believe their best sound per pound is largely from their more expensive kit. The entry level components (on which most people tend to base their judgement of Arcam) do not, in my opinion, represent particularly good value being equalled by some less expensive kit from other manufacturers and easily bettered by price comparable competition. The entry level amps have been consistently disappointing since the first days of the DiVA range, with the A65+ and A70 being particularly weak products. I think the previous Alpha range was much more impressive. The CD73 was a true exception - a brilliant CD player, though perhaps getting a bit long in the tooth by the time they finished it off.

It is when you start bi-amping and/or getting into the more expensive amps that Arcam come into their own and, although it still isn't a sound that suits me, I have huge respect for the capabilities of both the equipment and the company.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think all these comments about Arcam sounding slow/mushy are very interesting. In many cases the components in question may have been done a disservice by partnering equipment and/or peripherals. In other cases I'm sure that some of the brand's less successful products may have fallen short of the mark. In my experience the right Arcam components partnered correctly and with decent stands cables etc. has the warmth and richness that typifies the Arcam sound, but doesn't give away anything in the speed, timing or detail stakes. I've had experience of both, but suspect that some views here have been tainted by either a poor experience or a sloppy demo.

Currently I regularly hear 2 Arcam set-ups, namely my own as listed on the original post, and my mate's which consists of a CD192, A90 and Acoustic Energy AE1s. I'd defy anyone who heard them to say that either sounded bad, rather than (even if their personal tastes lay elsewhere) that one set of strengths had simply been traded for another?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Arcam? I think my feeling about the brand started when Alpha 7 SE was a must have CDP, it won many awards (including product of the year by this very own magazine) so I bought one! To say "I didn't get on with it" would have been an understatement
emotion-6.gif
It sounded not much different than cheapo CD players that was sold by Richersound at the time (£50 Technics came to mind). The build quality was er...plasticky to be kind.

The later Arcam are much better, the early FMJ was stunning when first come out and build quality were also much better even though they were not as good as similar price Musical Fidelity at the time (pre Taiwan build MF were highly regards ,X-ray, A3.2 & such like) and since then all Arcams I have heard always have been good but never a class leading. I always wanted a bit more in treble bite and bass slam.

They made some of the best AV amps and DVD players on the market but when it's come to Hifi I guess that what people like to call "safe sounding hifi"....never offended no one (but never rock my world either)

I actually purchased my Alpha 7R from Richer Sounds - I still have the same amp today, albeit feeling a bit sorry for itself sitting in the attic.

I take TM's point about build quality of the Alpha's. However, the sound quality and styling was very good for the money.

A

Anonymous

Any sweeping generalisation regarding Arcam should be sweapt away by a listen to an A32. The A32 with the P35 does not sound Arcammy at all. It sounds bright, clean as a whistle and has plenty of slam to boot! Infact, that's where its problem lies - it has so much bite and slam that it needs a big room to be placed in! It's an awsome sound that is incredibly neutral and the timing...oh, the timing! Sadly, the A32 on its own isn't quite as good - it's still great, but it lacks that "drive". I need to buy a P35 soon!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Any sweeping generalisation regarding Arcam should be sweapt away by a listen to an A32. The A32 with the P35 does not sound Arcammy at all. It sounds bright, clean as a whistle and has plenty of slam to boot! Infact, that's where its problem lies - it has so much bite and slam that it needs a big room to be placed in! It's an awsome sound that is incredibly neutral and the timing...oh, the timing! Sadly, the A32 on its own isn't quite as good - it's still great, but it lacks that "drive". I need to buy a P35 soon!

ÿDon't get a power amp Mr Hughes. ÿWhat you really want is one of these babies!

ÿ

http://www.rane.com/pdf/pi14dat.pdf

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

griffy:
Hughes123:Any sweeping generalisation regarding Arcam should be sweapt away by a listen to an A32. The A32 with the P35 does not sound Arcammy at all. It sounds bright, clean as a whistle and has plenty of slam to boot! Infact, that's where its problem lies - it has so much bite and slam that it needs a big room to be placed in! It's an awsome sound that is incredibly neutral and the timing...oh, the timing! Sadly, the A32 on its own isn't quite as good - it's still great, but it lacks that "drive". I need to buy a P35 soon!

ÿDon't get a power amp Mr Hughes. ÿWhat you really want is one of these babies!

ÿ

http://www.rane.com/pdf/pi14dat.pdf

ÿ

ÿ

I needed a bit of this and that in my current system...
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Your point being...?

ÿ

That is exactly my point

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Andrew Everard:
honda-legend.jpg

matthewpiano

Actually, I think the Honda/Arcam analogy works pretty well. Honda = well engineered, mostly understated and very reliable cars. Arcam = well engineered, mostly understated and very reliable cars.

Trouble is I'd always go for a VW Group car...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:That is exactly my point

I think you miss my point. Clicky.

slippers.jpg

It's the drivers Andrew, always the drivers...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Oh dear, I can sense Andrew is going to unleash his pipe and slippers picture on us. . .

That picture has rendered pipe and slippers redundant. Now where's my driving hat and gloves?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Hughes123:It's the drivers Andrew, always the drivers...

Yeah, cos Rubinho was pants in a Ferrari, wasn't he?

Julie_Andrews_sound_of_music_worried_about_children.jpg

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's the old story: the society photographer, socialite and man about town, discovers drugs and it all goes horribly wrong.

No idea what that picture of Julia Wells was all about, but shouldn't you be doing homework or directing Spider-Man 4 or fixing the LHC or something?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
It's the old story: the society photographer, socialite and man about town, discovers drugs and it all goes horribly wrong.

No idea what that picture of Julia Wells was all about, but shouldn't you be doing homework or directing Spider-Man 4 or fixing the LHC or something?

Just did my mocks GCSEs, I'm having a break this week while I'm off for xmas. I may not be fixing the LHC at the moment, but I'm having a go at a Pioneer Elite M-90 at the moment which is a very tasty amplifier!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts