Why is Arcam so controversial?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:I read a review recently on the A32 and it was gushing in its praise. By a Mr A Everard.

Mind you, that is six years old.

Yes it is, but having heard an A32/P35 combo through some Neat speakers recently you were right.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:Nor in fact in HFC or HFN where Arcams have recently won Product of the Year.

There are rules about swearing on this Forum, you know...

Well I just like a balanced opinion...ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Well I just like a balanced opinion...
emotion-11.gif

Well one of those has as an editor a supplier to Arcam, so not sure about balanced...

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Captain Destructo:JoelSim:Captain Destructo:crusaderlord:Captain Destructo:

Maybe you're taste in music is very different and maybe you listen for different reasons.

...but I think I've heard enough of Arcam amplification at least to have a clue (the WHF A38 review was spot on and could apply to any of the amps) They are not good for rock, end of story.

to say the comments of the A38 could apply to any of their amps is absolute nonsense. in fact the A38 was awarded the gold award for best amplifier in its price in another publication. i have compared Arcam directly to most amps in the same price range and i found the A32 was the best (better than Roksan, Cambridge, Naim and NAD) that said i dont listen to much rock so maybe we look for completely different requirements which then puts a big questionmark over your previous generalised comments about them sucking the life out of all music.

You mean that it put's them into perspective. Since you don't listen to much rock, this applies to your comments/preferences also.

I think components that cost hundreds of pounds should be able to reproduce ALL genres of music reasonably well. That anyone would recommend Arcam as better all-rounders than the other mainstream brands is crazy. They are no good for rock/punk, dance etc.

I agree that they aren't much good for rock/punk as they show the warts up too much. They are however, very good for dance music

And extremely good for voice and acoustic...amongst other things. I think you'll struggle to find a system that does everything brilliantly.

It isn't about showing up the warts, I think they are okay/average in the detail department.

It's the boredom that occurs when you try and play that sort of music through them. Without the energy, timing, cohesion etc it sounds lame (as someone else put it).

Maybe on one or two of the models but certainly not mine, or in fact on the reviews I posted above, if you care to read. Nor in fact in HFC or HFN where Arcams have recently won Product of the Year.

Yeah but those magazines have a different.... way of judging equipment. WHF has a more of a "common-man, what most people ENJOY listening to" approach.

They often overlook a LOT of the similiarly priced competition aswell. I'm not sure whether HFN or HFC have reviewed the Roksan K2 amp or cdp for example (maybe they have).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Captain Destructo:JoelSim:Captain Destructo:JoelSim:Captain Destructo:crusaderlord:Captain Destructo:
Maybe you're taste in music is very different and maybe you listen for different reasons.

...butÿI think I've heard enoughÿof Arcam amplification at leastÿtoÿhave a clue (the WHF A38 review was spot onÿand could apply toÿany of the amps)ÿÿ They are not good for rock, end of story.ÿ

to say the comments of the A38 could apply to any of their amps is absolute nonsense. in fact the A38 was awarded the gold award for best amplifier in its price in another publication. i have compared Arcam directly to most amps in the same price range and i found the A32 was the best (better than Roksan, Cambridge, Naim and NAD) that said i dont listen to much rock so maybe we look for completely different requirements which then puts a big questionmark over your previous generalised comments about them sucking the life out of all music.

ÿ

ÿYou mean that it put's them into perspective.ÿ Since you don't listen to much rock, thisÿ applies to your comments/preferences also.ÿ

ÿ

I thinkÿcomponents that cost hundreds of pounds should be ableÿtoÿreproduce ALLÿgenres of musicÿreasonably well.ÿÿThat anyone would recommendÿArcam asÿbetter all-roundersÿthan the other mainstreamÿbrandsÿis crazy.ÿ Theyÿare no good forÿrock/punk, dance etc.

ÿ

I agree that they aren't much good for rock/punk as they show the warts up too much. They are however, very good for dance music

And extremely good for voice and acoustic...amongst other things. I think you'll struggle to find a system that does everything brilliantly.ÿ

Itÿisn't about showingÿup the warts,ÿI think they areÿokay/average in the detail department.ÿ

ÿIt's the boredom that occurs when you try and play that sort ofÿmusic through them.ÿWithout the energy, timing,ÿcohesionÿetcÿit soundsÿlame (asÿsomeoneÿelseÿput it).ÿÿÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Maybe on one or two of the models but certainly not mine, or in fact on the reviews I posted above, if you care to read. Nor in fact in HFC or HFN where Arcams have recently won Product of the Year.

ÿ

ÿ

Yeah but those magazines have a different.... way of judgingÿequipment.ÿÿWHFÿhas a more of a "common-man, what mostÿpeople ENJOY listening to" approach.ÿÿÿ

Most people enjoy listening to iPods. Need I say more

ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Captain Destructo:JoelSim:Captain Destructo:JoelSim:Captain Destructo:crusaderlord:Captain Destructo:

...butÿI think I've heard enoughÿof Arcam amplification at leastÿtoÿhave a clue (the WHF A38 review was spot onÿand could apply toÿany of the amps)ÿÿ They are not good for rock, end of story.ÿ

ÿ

ÿYou mean that it put's them into perspective.ÿ Since you don't listen to much rock, thisÿ applies to your comments/preferences also.ÿ

ÿ

I thinkÿcomponents that cost hundreds of pounds should be ableÿtoÿreproduce ALLÿgenres of musicÿreasonably well.ÿÿThat anyone would recommendÿArcam asÿbetter all-roundersÿthan the other mainstreamÿbrandsÿis crazy.ÿ Theyÿare no good forÿrock/punk, dance etc.

ÿ

And extremely good for voice and acoustic...amongst other things. I think you'll struggle to find a system that does everything brilliantly.ÿ

Itÿisn't about showingÿup the warts,ÿI think they areÿokay/average in the detail department.ÿ

ÿIt's the boredom that occurs when you try and play that sort ofÿmusic through them.ÿWithout the energy, timing,ÿcohesionÿetcÿit soundsÿlame (asÿsomeoneÿelseÿput it).ÿÿÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Yeah but those magazines have a different.... way of judgingÿequipment.ÿÿWHFÿhas a more of a "common-man, what mostÿpeople ENJOY listening to" approach.ÿÿÿ

Most people enjoy listening to iPods. Need I say more

ÿ

Thats why they, and mobiles (thats telephones, people) are in the mag so much.

Ahem.

Taxi!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:Well I just like a balanced opinion...ÿ

Well one of those has as an editor a supplier to Arcam, so not sure about balanced...

They supply test equipment to Arcam?

So? ÿÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts