Why is Arcam so controversial?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Obviously it's all down to personal taste, but few things on the forum divide opinions like "the Arcam sound".

I'm going to nail my colours firmly to the mast here - CD37, A32/P35, PMC TB2+. Absolutely love it.

So why is it that Arcam can create such strong opinions for and against - based on how WHF often descibe the sound of Arcam components (not that I'm saying I agree mind) you'd think no one could have a particularly strong opinion either way, but not so. I rarely hear other brands attracting blame for the ills of their owners' systems so frequently, or conversely to have such die-hard advocates (on this forum at least).

So what do we reckon?

P.S. I'm not trying to start a fight I promise, just interested what people think because I'm sure this must have occurred to others here as well......

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The number one brand in any marketplace always comes in for more than its fair share of criticism

ÿ

I know you'll be surprised by this but I personally love the Arcam sound.ÿ

nads

never got on with the Arcam products.

But what do i know i have Nads
emotion-10.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
nads:
never got on with the Arcam products.

ÿ

But what do i know i have Nadsÿ
emotion-10.gif

You do know that's a criminal offence Nads.ÿ

(I like NAD as a brand too actually).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Arcam, well, a great sound IMHO - for CD players - not amps.

Although, my Beresford DAC gives it a good run and sounds slightly 'cleaner' and 'tidier' and 'taughter' in the bass if that makes sense. But not as full or lush.

JoelSim:

The number one brand in any marketplace always comes in for more than its fair share of criticism

emotion-10.gif

I know you'll be surprised by this but I personally love the Arcam sound.

Could not agree more - it's the British mentality, unfortunately. When I get some money behind me I will upgrade my A65 Plus but not because I dislike the sound. . .It's purely because I fancy a slightly more aggressive sound.

I will not slag off a product or a brand that has given me years of pleasure.

A

Anonymous

Once I was having trouble sleeping.

The doc prescribed Arcammm, Spendorzz and a dose of Bland den Hul cabling.

It left me in a trance. Everything appeared a few BPM slower than usual.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Loyalty should be for those we care about, our countries and our faith (if we have one), not consumer durables!

Hmmm - loyalty to consumer durables has never resulted in the deaths of hundreds of millions of people throughout history, killed in the name of god.

Back on topic - listened to some Arcam gear in a demo and found to have a warm, detailed sound. Didn't buy it in the end but it did sound very good.

A

Anonymous

Drummerdave:chebby:
Loyalty should be for those we care about, our countries and our faith (if we have one), not consumer durables!

Hmmm - loyalty to consumer durables has never resulted in the deaths of hundreds of millions of people throughout history, killed in the name of god.

Back on topic - listened to some Arcam gear in a demo and found to have a warm, detailed sound. Didn't buy it in the end but it did sound very good.

Drummerdave, I want your amp and CD player...and your speakers!

I have found that Arcam is a brilliant choice, if, and only if, it is well-matched. Like you wouldn't put Cyrus gear with bright equipment, you shouldn't put Arcam gear with darker equipment. Monitor Audio, Mission, Ruark and Dali are some good choices for Arcam gear. Spendor, Wharfedale and B&W (normally) are not. However, it is subjective and a little experimentation with the tone controls doesn't hurt...

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:

Drummerdave, I want your amp and CD player...and your speakers

Well, seeing as it's nearly xmas.....

They do sound very good - I intend to experiment with different cables in the new year to see if it's possible to wring any improvement out of the system.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I don't think Arcam is more controversial than other brands... It is just more popular than most and so is debated more often...

Personally, I've found Aram to be rather boring... but I've only heard it with Totem, B&W and Dynaudio Speakers... Never with Monitor Audio (supposedly a good match & also my favorite speaker brand)...

Speaking of Monitor Audio, some of us think they are the best speakers in all their price categories.. while others think they are utter rubbish... That's what make this hobby so interesting, so many different choices and opinions.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Eddie Pound:
Arcam?

It's just boring.

zzzzzzzz

My opinion also. Arcam doesn't let you enjoy your music, it sounds so lame.

A

Anonymous

No Musical Fidelity fans here then? :)

Musical Fidelity with Monitor Audio - British Dream!!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:

I agree - although i use a MF Xray v8 CDP and DAC with a MF Pre Amp but use two Arcam P35 power amps two drive my speakers - great combination - was connected to MA RS8s but sold them for an upgrade but will prob buy a pair of GS 20s, GS 60s or maybe even the PL100s in the near future

A

Anonymous

Vinny7:

I'm an MF fan without the money! One of my all-time favourite amplifiers is the MF A1! The MF A1 with a pair of MA GR20s would be awsome system!

A

Anonymous

Cypher:Eddie Pound:
Arcam?

It's just boring.

zzzzzzzz

My opinion also. Arcam doesn't let you enjoy your music, it sounds so lame.ÿ

ÿ
Surely you want to listen to your music, untainted from the cd player and amplifier. ÿNot add something that wasn't already on the recording? If you do, why don't you buy a cheap Aiwa and a graphic equaliser so you canÿfiddle!

A

Anonymous

griffy:Cypher:Eddie Pound:
Arcam?

It's just boring.

zzzzzzzz

My opinion also. Arcam doesn't let you enjoy your music, it sounds so lame.ÿ

ÿ
Surely you want to listen to your music, untainted from the cd player and amplifier. ÿNot add something that wasn't already on the recording? If you do, why don't you buy a cheap Aiwa and a graphic equaliser so you canÿfiddle!

Mmm...graphic equaliser...
JVC_SEA-70_7_x.jpg

Photograph thanks to JVC GRAZ

A

Anonymous

Arcam certainly isn't neutral.

It's a bit mushy and warm.

It can be nice actually, and makes everything listenable.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:

Very, very true. I always thought Arcam was bad for classical, but I actually have found now it is quite suited to it! Heavy rock too, is very good! It's the stuff in the middle which I actually listen to which it doesn't do so well...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say that the CD192 with A85/P85 is anything but mushy and warm, in fact it's crystal clear to the power of 10 through my Dalis, and slightly faster through my ProAcs. There's nothing mushy about it at all.

In fact I've said this before but a mate of mine has X-Ray V8 and MF amp/power amp plus Tannoy floorstanders and his system sounds like you are listening to it through a pillowcase compared to my Arcs.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Eddie Pound:

Very, very true. I always thought Arcam was bad for classical, but I actually have found now it is quite suited to it! Heavy rock too, is very good! It's the stuff in the middle which I actually listen to which it doesn't do so well... Mr Hughes. It seems you change your opinion in hi-fi more often than you change your underwear!

A

Anonymous

Arcam and ATC speakers, a great combination and not dull at all. ÿVery clear and precise
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts