Why are people so interested in 4K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm happy watching SD, never mind HD. 4K for me is irrelevant. I'll get 4K when that's all that is available and I need a new TV.

I do like to buy Blue rays of 1 or 2 films a years...other than that, it's DVDs for the cheaper price.

4K will go the way of 3D...ie every TV will have it, but (next to)nobody will care.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
I'm happy watching SD, never mind HD. 4K for me is irrelevant. I'll get 4K when that's all that is available and I need a new TV.

I do like to buy Blue rays of 1 or 2 films a years...other than that, it's DVDs for the cheaper price.

4K will go the way of 3D...ie every TV will have it, but (next to)nobody will care.

Fancy buying some DVDs off me for £2-3 a go. depending if it's a single disc, 2 disc or special edition. I could sent you a list if you are interested?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
fr0g said:

Fancy buying some DVDs off me for £2-3 a go. depending if it's a single disc, 2 disc or special edition. I could sent you a list if you are interested?

Sorry :shame: trading is not allowed on this forum.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The only place 4K is currenlty worth having it is the Cinema. Yes you can see the difference on a 50" 4K TV but whats the point on watching that much picture detail on a postage stamp. A 100" screen might be worth it but how many of us have lounges big enough to warrent a screen that size.

I will only go with a 4K projector when I can afford one and the technology has matured enough and of course there actually being something to watch on it.

I'm pretty sure every film made these days, big budget at least will have an 8K master made and a 4K one too. Most films in the cinema now are shown in 4K. I think it looks amazing, finally I can get the same picture quality on a huge cinema screen as I can with 1080 on my 50" plasma of course I mean comparing how the different pictures look on the respective screen. 2K looked better on the cinema before HD was widely availible in the home the home looked better than the cinema and I stopped going. No I will gladly witness a film on the silver screen. I just have to hope they have the sound system set up right.

Yes as has been said. Manufactureres have to find a way to keep us buying otherwise they will lose their place in the market. What does my head in is Pioneer at one point had the best screens in the world but had to shut down production due to not enough people willing to spen almost twice the amount on a 50-60 Pioneer than all the other brands. Of course the picture for the other brands never came close to looking as good as the pioneer. The plasmas might of but most of them went to LCD cause it was cheaper and couldn't tell they were looking at an infereor picture. Most people won't even set up their picture properly any so waits there money watch a very unnatural picture thinking it looks great.

Personally I think all the other brands should have matched the Pioneer picture quality instead of putting all this smart technology in and kept TV and Smart screens for the home seperate. I know...that would be silly having a designated screen for Broadcast and Media viewing and another screen for skypeing, and the like.

What they could have done though is do what Pioneer did with the KPR series TVs and have a seperate media box. Then you could have your awesome quality picture from the processors in the screen pannel and all the smart tech stuff in the media box. Have I got that wrong in any way? You know what I mean.

It all has to be done to keep us buying. They can't get away with making something to last us 20 years like CRTs could and longer. So they have to use up materials at a much faster rate to keep themselves afloat.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Unfortunately, it's features like smart TV, 4K etc. that sells TVs with minimal investment rather than picture quality. Also, a separate media box is not desirable by most in this age of minimalism.

Although a budget smart/ networked blu ray player can turn any tv in existence into a smart tv with minimal investment.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Unfortunately, it's features like smart TV, 4K etc. that sells TVs with minimal investment rather than picture quality. Also, a separate media box is not desirable by most in this age of minimalism.

Although a budget smart/ networked blu ray player can turn any tv in existence into a smart tv with minimal investment.

T

theflyingwasp

Marsbardark said:
Alantiggger said:
"I'm happy watching SD"

How sad is this ?

I presume from your signature you have access to all the HD channels? Does make me laugh that currys etc. are trying to flog 4k tellies to watch the world cup!

It won't just be 1 or 2 people who fall for that one,there is going to be a lot of angry football fans expecting to sit down and watch 4K football matches on their shiny new 4K TV.

T

theflyingwasp

:) yes .apologies to all those concerned.

i still haven't seen much 4K ,just the demo stuff in john Lewis.

I'd have to watch a movie from start to finish in black out conditions before I made a 4k decision regardless of screen size.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
It won't just be 1 or 2 people who fall for that one,there is going to be a lot of angry football fans expecting to sit down and watch 4K football matches on their shiny new 4K TV.

The BBC are hoping to broadcast the World cup in 4K. So those people rushing out to buy 4K TVs my have a better experience than us 2K viewers. Howerver if they don't set them up properly they will have a terrible experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts