Whole albums in one go!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Green Day - American Idiot [/quote]

The words 'Green Day' should never EVER appear in such a thread...

A

Anonymous

They wouldn't make my list but i can appreciate why others may feel they deserve to make the list. Greenday however are just plain dull. It's beggars belief that such an unimaginative group are labelled 'artists', with their busted-esq sound, both lyrically and melodically boring and incomplete, the fact half their singles make the top 40 genuinely frustrates me............

...oh, and they wear make up too...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh dear oh dear. Happens to be my opinion of most the music herein. Now, dont take that personally folks! I dont mind if people genuinely like what they listen to, its poseurs who are keeping up with trends or trying constantly to be more eclectic than the next man that wind me up. Just a general point, that, not aimed at anyone here. I'd need to have a better sense of people before making that call.

T

the record spot

I'm more of a closet Renee and Renata man m'self. "Save yer luv my darlin', save yer luuuuuuuuuuuuv.........". Genius. Pure genius likesay.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"] I dont mind if people genuinely like what they listen to, its poseurs who are keeping up with trends or trying constantly to be more eclectic than the next man that wind me up. [/quote]

I wouldn't know a trend if it slapped me round the face with a wet kipper, I'm lucky enough to be a few miles away from a couple of very good second-hand record stores and I like nothing better than picking up a couple of albums by people I have never listened to before.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gwyndy - nice one. i must admit im not that brave, but im becoming conscious that i dont listen to much "new" music (there is a hard core of 3/4 bands whose music ill always buy, but theyre established acts, hardly new), so i look on youtube and myspace every time something sounds interesting. its normally dross. 29, and already i feel jaded by new music. Now where did i put my slippers...?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Gwyndy - nice one. i must admit im not that brave, but im becoming conscious that i dont listen to much "new" music (there is a hard core of 3/4 bands whose music ill always buy, but theyre established acts, hardly new), so i look on youtube and myspace every time something sounds interesting. its normally dross. 29, and already i feel jaded by new music. Now where did i put my slippers...?[/quote]

I must confess I don't use youtube and myspace anywhere near as much as I should, even though I'm on a part-time degree course with the lead singer in this band,

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=18795177

I understand how you feel about new music, a one point I only tended to buy new and back catalogue albums by the bands that had influenced my musical tastes in my teens (Aerosmith, Bad Company, Bon Jovi- though I preferred Richie Sambora's solo albums, Def Leppard, pretty much anything that was Rock/Metal early to mid 80's)

John Duncan

I understand how you feel about new music, a one point I only tended to buy new and back catalogue albums by the bands that had influenced my musical tastes in my teens (Aerosmith, Bad Company, Bon Jovi- though I preferred Richie Sambora's solo albums, Def Leppard, pretty much anything that was Rock/Metal early to mid 80's)
In which case...........Moving Pictures by Rush.

A

Anonymous

Lots of fantastic albums already mentioned in this thread, and I thought I would add one to the list. It's one of those albums that every time I put it on, people stand open mouthed and cry 'who is this?', and it never ceases to amaze me that not one person has ever heard of it, or the band. I'm sure many of the readers here have heard of it, I've probably lived a sheltered life surrounded by Radio 1 listeners, but this is it...

Yello - 'Flag'

It's brilliantly produced, sounds awesome from start to finish and will really test your kit to the limit. If you can find the recently remastered copy with the added bonus remixed tracks, then even better.

This has been my favourite album for the last 15 years or more, and the one I always turn to when testing new kit.

I don't care about street cred, this is just my 2 cents worth :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Headrush"]Yello - 'Flag'[/quote]

Great sounding album indeed. They always struck me as a wonderful hybrid of electro-pop and prog. The crazy soundscapes are brilliant, although I did sometimes find the voices/narration irritating. I recently unearthed 12" copies of The Race & The Rhythm Divine. Fantastic.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Headrush"]
Lots of fantastic albums already mentioned in this thread, and I thought I would add one to the list. It's one of those albums that every time I put it on, people stand open mouthed and cry 'who is this?', and it never ceases to amaze me that not one person has ever heard of it, or the band. I'm sure many of the readers here have heard of it, I've probably lived a sheltered life surrounded by Radio 1 listeners, but this is it...

Yello - 'Flag'

It's brilliantly produced, sounds awesome from start to finish and will really test your kit to the limit. If you can find the recently remastered copy with the added bonus remixed tracks, then even better.

This has been my favourite album for the last 15 years or more, and the one I always turn to when testing new kit.

I don't care about street cred, this is just my 2 cents worth :)

[/quote]

You've sold that album quite well! Will be my next random buy, you can't beat a bit of experimenting...never heard of them I must admit!

A

Anonymous

My favorite albums that I can listen to from start to finish :-

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Leftfield - Leftism
Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Craig Armstrong - The Space Between Us
Tricky - Maxinquaye

A

Anonymous

Depeche Mode "Violator"

The Beloved "Happiness"

Showin gmy age now!

A

Anonymous

One which springs to mind (partly because it's my most recent buy) is The Flying Club Cup by Beirut. Brilliant stuff - hard to believe the guy is only 22. When I first heard it, it felt like music I'd been waiting to hear all my life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts