Whole albums in one go!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
My fave albums to listen to all the way through are

Arch enemy - Rise of the Tyrant

In Flames - Colony

Metallica - And Justice for All

Machine head - Burn my Eyes

Idlewild - Scottish Fiction (best of)

P.J Harvey - Stories from the City

Any Pantera & Ozzy album

Led Zeppelin - Mothership (has all their best tunes)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hang on, I think we should discount "Best Of" albums and general comments like, "all albums by Ozzy or The Cranberries". Surely such a phrase undermines the notion that very few albums are really good in their entirety. Pedantic interventionist rant over!

Then again, is any album by The Cranberries actually listenable to all the way through?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I find all Ozzy Osbournes albums great all the way through.

Same with Pantera.

Ill nominate an Ozzy album and Pantera album which I think has no filler.

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

Best of albums are hit and miss as some artists dont include their best tunes and only their single releases..

Can be misleading but Mothership and Scottish Fiction are definately 2 I would recommend.

Cranberries - The voice becomes weary after a few tracks.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Hang on, I think we should discount "Best Of" albums and general comments like, "all albums by Ozzy or The Cranberries". Surely such a phrase undermines the notion that very few albums are really good all the way through. Pedantic interventionist rant over!Then again, is any album by The Cranberries actually listenable to all the way through?[/quote]

You have used the phrase "all the way through" one time too many and should delete the second occurrence.

:)

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

How did I forget that. That album you can listen to 5 times over and not be bored. All the tunes could have been singles.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I love the diversity.

Stone Roses - Stone Roses (timeless)
Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline According to (beautiful debut)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey, The Bends and Ok Computer (genius)
Paul Weller - Stanley Road (perfect album)
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (astounding talent)
Nirvana - Nevermind (will be a classic in 20 years still)
The Jam - All Mod Cons (my fave band)
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak (I love their sound)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Simon Lucas"][quote user="Nigel Proctor"] Or how about One World or The Apprentice by John Martyn?[/quote]

Solid Air's my favourite John Martyn. Or Bless the Weather.

Of course, I heard he's put his foot down lately. Now he doesn't know where it is.
[/quote]

That's a bit lame. Groan.

I saw John in Salisbury last year and he was still good, although he looked awful. The years seemed to disappear when he played May you Never.

A

Anonymous

I think some John Martyn is about to go on the system while I write the last few * Christmas cards. If I can persuade the wife finally to go to bed. What does it take to get somebody who is (i) exhausted (ii) nauseous and generally unwell and (iii) has two kids to look after while I go to work tomorrow because unlike the last few days I can't skive off (on holiday), to go to bed at a sensible time. Answers on a postcard please.

* Hah! I wish.

A

Anonymous

the the- soul mining ,

the the- mind bomb ,

The Stranglers- rattus norvegicus ,

the stranglers- black and white ,

Pixies- doolittle ,

Air- 10000hz legend ,

The Clash- London calling ,

Smashing pumpkins- siamese dream ,

Spiritualized- lazer guided melodies ,

Fun lovin' criminals- come find yourself ,

Dandy warhols - 13 tales from urban bohemia ,

faith no more- the real thing ,

Jeff Buckley- grace

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some excellent inspiration there - can't believe it took that long for all of us to name Jeff Buckley's Grace. Sheer class of the hair-raised-on-the-back-of-the-neck kind.

Though I suppose technically it's an EP rather than LP....
emotion-5.gif

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds (both CD's natch)

12 Songs Neil Diamond (although there are in fact 14 songs on the album !! (2 bonus tracks)

I'm sure there are more but I'm far too tired to think.

A

Anonymous

Evening Train by Mick Flannery.Its a stunning debut album telling a story of two brothers. If you want a taste check out his myspace page, http://www.myspace.com/mickflannery

T

the record spot

Johnny Cash - Solitary Man, Elton John - Madman Across The Water, Billy Joel - The Stranger, Charlie Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, U2 - The Joshua Tree, Led Zeppelin - II, Counting Crows - August and Everything After, Phil Collins - Face Value, Radiohead - Kid A.......ach hell, there's too many to mention!

A

Anonymous

Time for a touch of class,

Natalie Clein - Elgar cello concerto,

This talented young lady makes the cello weep.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]all albums by Ozzy[/quote]

The reason being that I can listen to all the Black Sabbeth Albums which have Ozzy on it (Which are the early/mid era). I listen from start to end. It was like that when I had the LP's and I am like that with the CD. The actual sonic quality of the CD version arn't nearly as good as they could be but we are talking about the music content and the buzz it gives you. I still get a buzz when I hear the Sabbath stuff despite the cd not being Audiophile quality (its a measure of how good I think the music is). They all take me back to when I was at college and the good times I had there. Its also nice to see how the band has evolved during that period.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Still not a patch on the DuPre/Barbirolli recording, IMHO. And if you want an interesting historical sideline, try the recent Naxo Historical release conducted by Elgar himself - he takes it very fast!

A

Anonymous

I dunno, I have both the Clein and the Du Pre and I prefer the Clein far less aggressive and some nice Elgar short pieces that she plays very well imo on the same CD, Although I confess that I have never heard the Masters own version.

A

Anonymous

Everything I own, as I have taste.
emotion-2.gif

Today's choice - Vaughan Williams, A London Symphony (1913 version LSO/Hickox) Whaddya think Andrew E?

A

Anonymous

Sigur Ros - Takk

The Strokes - Is this it

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Au Revoir Simone (both albums)

Air (both albums)

Coldplay - Parachutes (cannot believe this has not been mentioned yet)

But without a shaddow of a doubt the best....Interpol - Antics, absolutely magic and simply untouchable, I love every single second of this album....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]
Sigur Ros - Takk

The Strokes - Is this it

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Au Revoir Simone (both albums)

Air (both albums)

Coldplay - Parachutes (cannot believe this has not been mentioned yet)

But without a shaddow of a doubt the best....Interpol - Antics, absolutely magic and simply untouchable, I love every single second of this album....

[/quote]

Our Love to Admire is better IMHO...... I missed them live as they cancelled Newcastle on the night earlier this year - then rearranged to the same night as Kings of Leon, which I already had tickets for.
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

No way!! I went to the Kings too! Birmingham one?? Me and my mate were also gona buy tickets last minute for Interpol at alexandra palace on 30th but couldn't get any :(

Interesting you prefer OLTA though, don't think I know any big Interpol fans that do tbh. There's no doubting there are some truely magnificent bits in there (what else would you expect form Interpol) but the level is not sustained in my opinion quite like in Antics or BOTBL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts