Whole albums in one go!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

KOL in Newcastle again, great gig. Nice to hear a band with bass in the live mix for a change - apart from Rush I saw twice the back end of the year. Top.
emotion-5.gif

Love (and own) the rest of your list too - apart from the Simone thing - ain't heard of them.

matthewpiano

Pretty much all the classical stuff I own. Beyond that:

Late For The Sky (Jackson Browne)
From The Witchwood (Strawbs)
Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)
A Kind of Blue (Miles Davis)
Headhunters (Herbie Hancock)
Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
Liege & Lief (Fairport Convention)
Clouds (Joni Mitchell)
Blue (Joni Mitchell)
Metallica (Metallica)
Elite Hotel (Emmylou Harris)
Time Honoured Ghosts (BJH)
Animals (Pink Floyd)
Anything by Diana Krall.

Thats just for starters...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="laserman16"][quote user="JoelSim"]Elgar hasn't brought anything out for a while now[/quote]
Why, has he retired?????[/quote]

I heard he is making a comeback tour headlining with the Spice girls.

But I could be wrong.

A

Anonymous

pink floyd - dark side of the moonpink floyd - the wallpink floyd - wish you were herethe who - tommyFGTH - welcome to the pleasuredomejeff wayne's war of the worldsgenesis - seconds outcoldcut - sound mirrorsELO - time

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bluetorric"]
[quote user="laserman16"][quote user="JoelSim"]Elgar hasn't brought anything out for a while now[/quote]

But I could be wrong.

[/quote]
If that were true that would mean one of them would be able to sing.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="laserman16"][quote user="bluetorric"]

But I could be wrong.

[/quote]
If that were true that would mean one of them would be able to sing.[/quote]
I suppose he would be billed as "Enigma Spice"

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]pink floyd - dark side of the moon
pink floyd - the wall

pink floyd - wish you were here

the who - tommy

FGTH - welcome to the pleasuredome

jeff wayne's war of the worlds

genesis - seconds out

coldcut - sound mirrors

ELO - time[/quote]

I like your taste Richard! Could I add Radiohead (Ok Computer) and Moby (Play)?

A

Anonymous

Elvis Costello - Juliet Letters
Roddy Frame - Surf
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

A

Anonymous

moby - Play !!! how did I not think of this first time round!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]
moby - Play !!! how did I not think of this first time round!

[/quote]

How could you put the strokes in and forget moby? Shame on you!
emotion-5.gif

*And Matthew, I was wondering if anyone would put Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, I didn't have the guts to say it!
emotion-7.gif

matthewpiano

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="richardjlarby"]pink floyd - dark side of the moon

pink floyd - the wall

pink floyd - wish you were here

the who - tommy

FGTH - welcome to the pleasuredome

jeff wayne's war of the worlds

genesis - seconds out

coldcut - sound mirrors

ELO - time[/quote]

I like your taste Richard! Could I add Radiohead (Ok Computer) and Moby (Play)?

[/quote]

Definitely agree about OK Computer. Have just purchased the box set of all the Radiohead EMI albums (Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief) and, having lost track of them after OK Computer I am thoroughly enjoying rediscovering their earlier work and getting to grips with Kid A and Amnesiac.

A

Anonymous

ok computer is the only album i have ever bought that i gave away after a couple of listens. I have pablo honey and the bends and i like kid a, but i just didnt get ok computer. I hear so many people saying its one of the best albums of all time but I just dont get that. it was tedious. do you have to be high to enjoy it? someone enlighten me please.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jetjohnson"].....Jeez Clare ...Elvis ...Sinatra ......you like the retro stuff! ......you dig anything after 1970 baby???[/quote]

You know the Sixth Sense quote: "I see dead people"?

In my case:"I hear dead people".
emotion-2.gif

But seriously, yes I listen to modern stuff, too - one of the benefits of buying loads of new discs every month for our test rooms.

However, when i'm relaxing at home I gravitate towards the classics. Just now i'm listening to Nat King Cole in analogue splendour... very Christmassy indeed!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]I like your taste Richard! Could I add Radiohead (Ok Computer) and Moby (Play)?[/quote]
yes, i think roger waters' story albums were great, and the dsotm in SACD, wow. Yes to Radiohead and Moby. When you think about it, there are quite a fair few well put together albums.

matthewpiano

Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree by U2.

I think, quite often, one of the things a careful upgrade if a component or system can bring is an enhanced appreciation of music we've perhaps not quite latched on to before or lost interest in. I'm listening to Achtung Baby now. Its been a long time since I've really enjoyed this album, but that is what I'm doing now!! The NAD/MS combo just seems to bring all the life back to these tracks. Fantastic.

I'd also have to add Tales of Mystery & Imagination (Alan Parsons Project), Front Parlour Ballads (Richard Thompson), Hokey Pokey (Richard & Lind Thompson), Mock Tudor (Richard Thompson), Absolution (Muse), anything by Nat King Cole or Louis Armstrong, Queen II (Queen), Byrds Sing Dylan (Byrds), all 5 American Recordings albums (Johnny Cash), Hotel (Moby), Seasons (Magna Carta), Harvest (Neil Young), American Stars 'N Bars (Neil Young), Deja Vu (Crosby Stills Nash & Young), The Gershwin Songbook (Oscar Peterson)............

I've seen Richard Thompson, Roger McGuinn, Ralph McTell, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, BJH, Sting, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and many others live and I love it when really good hi-fi gets me as close as possible to that live experience (although that could only ever be about 50-60% because live music is just so electric).
On the classical side favourite composers include Chopin, Beethoven, Milhaud, Shostakovich, Schubert, Schumann, Schoenberg, Berg, Ades, Brahms, Haydn, Bartok, Britten and Prokofiev. I also love opera, particularly Verdi, Puccini, Wagner, Purcell (more musical drama than true opera) and Britten.

In terms of performers I could listen all day to Artur Rubinstein, Dinu Lipatti, Carlo Bergonzi, Renee Fleming, Joan Sutherland, Horowitz, Glenn Gould, and Clifford Curzon (amongst many others), but my biggest all time hero as a pianist myself, is the wonderful Alfred Brendel. I had the privilege of seeing him play at Bridgewater Hall a few years ago and it remains one of the highlights of my life.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree by U2.

I've seen Richard Thompson, Roger McGuinn, Ralph McTell, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, BJH, Sting, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and many others live and I love it when really good hi-fi gets me as close as possible to that live experience (although that could only ever be about 50-60% because live music is just so electric).

On the classical side favourite composers include Chopin, Beethoven, Milhaud, Shostakovich, Schubert, Schumann, Schoenberg, Berg, Ades, Brahms, Haydn, Bartok, Britten and Prokofiev. I also love opera, particularly Verdi, Puccini, Wagner, Purcell (more musical drama than true opera) and Britten.

[/quote]

I have an LP of Fleetwood Mac Live in the early 70s, found it in the BHF charity shop. Havn't played it yet, I wonder if it is any good?
emotion-40.gif

I like your classical taste - Wagner (or W-agner as the Americans say) is fantastic, but a bit OTT at times...I also like Tchaikovsky.

My other favourite is late fiffites stuff such as Sinatra and Darin. Very good stuff whether its "audiophile quality or not".
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]ok computer is the only album i have ever bought that i gave away after a couple of listens. I have pablo honey and the bends and i like kid a, but i just didnt get ok computer. I hear so many people saying its one of the best albums of all time but I just dont get that. it was tedious. do you have to be high to enjoy it? someone enlighten me please.[/quote]

I think its one of those albums which you need to listen to late at night...in a dark room...with no-one else...after reading a scary story. Very good stuff in my opinion - my favourite song on the album is Paranoid Anadroid.

A

Anonymous

Id have to go with ...

Fat Freddys Drop - Based on a True Story, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (has been said few times), Pink Floyd - Pulse (Live), Peter Gabriel - SO, nearly a couple of Metallica albums...

A

Anonymous

I may very well be alone here but...Pulp - A Different Class?????

A

Anonymous

Love - Forever Changes
The Band - The Band
Sol Seppy - The Bells of 1 2
David Bowie - Heathen
John Lester - So Many Reasons
Loudon Wainwright - Unrequited

Will add more later.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="joeparnell"]
I may very well be alone here but...Pulp - A Different Class?????
[/quote]

Agreed. With "This Is Hardcore" coming in a close second. If you add "His N Hers" to the list it makes for a wonderful, rueful study of Fame: before, during & after. As Jarvis sings, "I'm not Jesus Christ but I have the same initials". Great line, brilliant songwriter.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="laserman16"][quote user="laserman16"][quote user="bluetorric"]

But I could be wrong.

[/quote]
I suppose he would be billed as "Enigma Spice"[/quote]

Or Dead Spice

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Stone Roses - Stone Roses (timeless)[/quote]

While it's one of my favourite albums of all time, I would always skip 'Don't Stop'... Without that backwards mess, I'm with you.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="laserman16"][quote user="laserman16"][quote user="bluetorric"]

But I could be wrong.

[/quote]
I suppose he would be billed as "Enigma Spice"[/quote]

Or Dead Spice[/quote]
Maybe that would apply to all of them

TRENDING THREADS