Visit site
as another post has said blu ray is slow on the take up
just how many of whathifi forum users have actually bought one
and how long ago was this, also do you think it will survive as hi def
format..

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive a PS3. Its slowly gaining momentum so yes, I think it will survive (Simply as theres so many PS3s in the world now which is also increasing monthly)

A

Anonymous

Yes i have one and think it will be around for a long time. They just need to speed up loading times and bingo!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have both a PS3 and a standalone Blu-Ray player - PS3 bought day it was released in the UK (March 2007) and then the Sony standalone player bought last December.

I think it will survive, just because the movie studios will be pushing it more and more and, eventually, as people start to see more and more HD from the likes of Sky HD, Freesat and Freeview HD etc. and Blu-Ray players get below the magic £100 mark, people will start investigating them to make the most of their shiny new HDTVs.

A

Anonymous

soulstyle:Yes i have one and think it will be around for a long time. They just need to speed up loading times and bingo!

Disc loading time has never bothered me......

Put the blu-ray disc in the player.

Walk to kitchen to collect cans of beer, cork screw and Rioja.

By the time you're back the film is ready to go.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I bought one around October/November IIRC.

Loading time is on a par with the RDR-HXD910 DVD/HDD recorder I was using for DVD duties before I got the 350, ( which is now serving time in the bedroom hooked up to my 26" LCD.)

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i got 2 ps3s and a bd350 and i will now only buy blurays if available.i have also been really impressed with alot of the sky hd stuff.ive also convinced about 3 others to convert to bluray and all have been happy with results

A

Anonymous

I have a PS3 and a Panny BD35. I can't see it dying, at least not unless a new supercheap and even better format arrives. Almost all TVs sold these days are HD, and the picture is visibly superior.

Saying that, I still buy more DVDs than BRs... simply because you can get old DVDs 3 for a tenner etc etc.

For anything I really care about I get BR... In fact I need to go and order the BR version of The Matrix...even if I have seen it countless times...!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Son's had PS3 over a year but no HD TV in house till I got my screen last November and bought player at same time. Cheaper offers seem to coming quicker after a movies release to the format so hopefully this will continue and prices will continue to drop.

I don't have a Arcam tho.

lauwereyssens ludo

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm still wating because my dealer who spoke with a manager from Arcam says there will be a new update in a few months and Arcam is waiting wich update that will be so they can insert in there blu-ray player wich in the pipeline. My dealer said to me to wait untill the new update is known and used by the new blu-ray players.

I have an Arcam AVR 600 surround receiver with a pioneer DVD LX50 + an DVD Denon 3910 and as TV a fujitsu 50' inch plasma hd ready with speakers from Audio Physic front and Kef's dipols in the back with a sub from Rel.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Bought a PS3 in December 2007 (mostly for Blu-ray), and now awaiting delivery of my new Panasonic DMP-BD80ÿ.

I think the format is awesome, although the rest of the household is pretty apathetic about it (which I can understand, but I do wish there was a bit more enthusiasm tbh). The majority of new titles I buy are now BDs, and I'm glad there are now more and more BD releases of TV shows on the way (can't wait for 24 Season 7!).

I also think Blu-ray is here to stay, but I don't expect it to usurp DVD as the default home video medium anytime soon.ÿ

A

Anonymous

bought a bdp-S550 in January for the HC and then a BDP-S350 in May for the bedroom.

sadly not bought many blu ray's as i already own most of what i want. Hopefully new stuff will entice me.

A

Anonymous

Son has a PS3 and am currently looking for a decent Blu-Ray All-in-One as Mrs Kev doesn't like too many boxes under the TV. All other boxes banished to the other room for sake of clean lines.

Yes, I know...

Kev.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I bought my BD30 in March '08. I waited for the first standalone that could send bitstream output of all the major sound formats via HDMI before dipping my feet in as I've always been a believer in decoding in the receiver and not buying products twice. I absolutely love it. The BD collection is getting quite large now at >75 discs and with the amount of catalogue titles getting released I think the format is here to stay. I certainly hope so at least. I have Sky HD and an Xbox 360 and while watching compressed HD on both of those formats is better than SD presentations, they don't compare at all to the bitrates and depth of detail offered on BD.

A

Anonymous

I got the Sony 350 last December for the HD sound. I'm using it on a Toshiba Picture Frame 3 CRT. I can't see the format failing at all.

A

Anonymous

Got a launch day PS3. I think we'll have Blurays for another 6-8 years, then i think downloading will begin to dominate. Big issue for me is cost of BR disks but over last couple months prices have begun to fall quite a bit. Saw 28 days/weeks later boxset for ?14 locally, a good bargin.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
After auditioning quite a few, bought an LX71 last Christmas, and really pleased with the picture quality. I think it'll be a long, long time before the broadband infrastructure in the UK will support downloads at Blu-ray quality, so the format will likely be around for a while.

The only obstacle, now that player prices have come down, is the price and quality of the disks. The prices charged in high street stores are totally unrealistic, and are often £20 or £25. That's a lot of money to spend unless you're sure of the movie, so most of my purchases have been films I already know I love.

And the quality of the disc (and whole experience) can be very poor. Quite apart from dodgy or lazy transfers, the packaging usually consists of the disc and nothing else, and a few recent disks have made you sit through a load of trailers that you can't skip. That is not the best way for studios to address piracy or hasten uptake of the format. It just alienates customers in a way that the music and movie industries seem incapable of not doing!

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't buy another dvd again as the quality of blu ray is worth the extra outlay for me. If you wait a while after the release date the cost comes down, recently I purchased Quantum of Solace for under £10. And also if you read the reviews before buying you get an idea as to the tranfer quality. Reference quality discs cannot be beaten for sound and picture quality, I think the format is here to stay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts