Which XLR cables for NAD M51?

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
What XLR cables should I try for NAD M51?

I tried van den Hul "The Valley" but that made my system sound extremely bright.

I'm using this too:

- Vincent SP-997 mono power amps

- Dynaudio Excite x32

Then I stream music from my pc to my tv with wifi, then run it digital out to the M51.

I know it's not optimal, but it means I can use the tv's menu system with it's remote to choose and play music from my pc's hard drive.

Thanks!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microphone-Lead-Mic-Cable-with-Lifetime-Warranty-Balanced-Male-Female-XLR-/261528919493?pt=UK_Musical_Cables_Leads_Connectors&var=&hash=item3ce4569dc5

Lifetime warranty and a colour to suit your decor, if you care.

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
BenLaw said:
hybridauth_Facebook_1175383980 said:
That's really funny. No, wait: It really isn't.

I wasn't trying to be funny. They're very similar to the ones I use. What's wrong with them?

Oh, ok! Sorry :) I realize that in my original post I should have mentioned I'm currently using a couple of £5 XLR-cables, and that I'm interested in trying relatively expensive XLR-cables instead.

abacus

As I have said many times before, forget what HI Fi cable manufactures say or produce and also ignore most Hi Fi dealers & magazines say, instead go down to your local professional music store, explain what equipment you have and they will give you the appropriate cables to use, that way you will be using the cables that the professionals use to master the music that you listen too.

Hope this helps

Bill

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
To add to what Bill has said, the ones I recommended are pro microphone leads, ie the type used by those who record your music. They are entirely transparent and they have a lifetime guarantee.

Unless the VDH cables were faulty, them making your system 'extremely bright' seems unlikely. Can you arrange for someone to swap cables without you knowing what has been changed?

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
BenLaw said:
To add to what Bill has said, the ones I recommended are pro microphone leads, ie the type used by those who record your music. They are entirely transparent and they have a lifetime guarantee.

Unless the VDH cables were faulty, them making your system 'extremely bright' seems unlikely. Can you arrange for someone to swap cables without you knowing what has been changed?

Hmm. One of the VDH cables has red markers on it, the other has blue markers. Silly question: Does it matter which cable is used for left and right channel, respectively? Those cables are identical despite the color markers, aren't they? Or?

I'm gonna give more expensive hifi cables a try to see what it's like using them, but I see your and Bill's point about microphone cables being used by the pros who make the music I'm listening to.

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Thinking this over, I've decided to call these guys tomorrow and ask them for advice:

http://www.4sound.dk/tilbehoer/kabler/mikrofonkabler#sort=popular

I think it's the biggest pro audio group of stores in Denmark and I often bought pro audio equipment from them back when I was making music myself. They know their stuff.

I wish I could trust my girlfriend to assist me in a blind test, but whatever cables I'd say sounded the best, she'd just say: "Those were the cheap ones! I told you so: You're just a HIFI snob - in reality you can't hear the difference between cheap and expensive gear!" :) :) :)

Thanks for all advice given here. I appreciate it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts