Which TV should I buy the Panasonic OLED or the LG 65E6V OLED?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
well technically the best 2d picture comes from watching 4k..
Meaning?

gel wanted the best 2d picture, yet he didn't like 4k and thought it was a con, which means if he won't watch the format he won't get the best 2d picture.
My understanding of 4K is that it's dimmer and darker, how can that be better?

no, it's not..

you've already seen native 4k at the cinema when some films are shown in 4k. did that look dim or dark??

you just had a tv that made it look dark possibly, as some i've heard don't look that great. this shouldn't be the case with the new lg tv's..
Even HDTV test said it was to dim for daylight. I am talking about 4K HDR blu Ray here not 4K.

i've watched films in hdr during the day with light leaking in and the overall brightness of the stuff that matters isn't darkened to so speak..the only thing that affects the picture is reflections, where i can see the curtains and stuff reflected on part of the screen which completely takes away from enjoying it fully, but it doesn't darken the image for me anyway

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
Meaning?

gel wanted the best 2d picture, yet he didn't like 4k and thought it was a con, which means if he won't watch the format he won't get the best 2d picture.

no, it's not..

you've already seen native 4k at the cinema when some films are shown in 4k. did that look dim or dark??

you just had a tv that made it look dark possibly, as some i've heard don't look that great. this shouldn't be the case with the new lg tv's..
Even HDTV test said it was to dim for daylight. I am talking about 4K HDR blu Ray here not 4K.

i've watched films in hdr during the day with light leaking in and the overall brightness of the stuff that matters isn't darkened to so speak..the only thing that affects the picture is reflections, where i can see the curtains and stuff reflected on part of the screen which completely takes away from enjoying it fully, but it doesn't darken the image for me anyway

Your TV is LCD which is excellent for day time viewing unlike OLED and Plasma.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Series1boy said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
Meaning?

no, it's not..

Even HDTV test said it was to dim for daylight.  I am talking about 4K HDR blu Ray here not 4K.  

Which is why i said the new 2016 oleds from lg will be better. They can go a lot brighter than previous models which will help.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The only way to watch a calibrated display, is to watch it in a darkened room.

Whether its lcd, projector, OLED, Plasma, and in HDR the calibrator will calibrate the ISF Night mode to a darkened room. You can also have ISF day, but you wont get that extra bit you get in a darkened room.

I have to put my tv to ISF day in the day because the ISF night mode is simply too dark. This sounds obvious, but this may have been the issue with your Panny OLED on HDR, it may have been calibrated for a pitch black room and your room isnt a bat cave is it??

Having your new TV calibrated to your room conditions is the way to go, but please keep this TV GEL and stop wasting your time on this, you wont get this time back...

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
Series1boy said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
Meaning?

no, it's not..

Which is why i said the new 2016 oleds from lg will be better. They can go a lot brighter than previous models which will help.
Here's hoping.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
To me this is the issue for Gel - the memory of something being a certain way is powerful until you go back to it and realise it wasnt as good as you thought it was. Going back makes you appreciate what you had.

I said to Gel for ages the LG he had I didnt think looked great from the photos but the panny oled on the other hand truly did, without even seeing proper content on it which is only just emerging and will take months to be top notch.

55 was never going to be big enough after having a 65 that was obvious, silly to go that route in the first place

What will happen when he has the LG calibrated - it will look like the panny did, which looks a LOT like the VT did - a calibrated image is just that the same - hence the purpose of it.

Now your used to OLED all other TV's wont cut it thats for sure, so advice to by another tech is wrong because all the flaws of that tech will stand out to you like a saw thumb.

You got used to a certain size - watching TV on a 55 is fine - its when you put a letter box 2:35 film on and boom all the magic is gone. You will never be free of that unless you go PJ - but trust me you would hate a PJ because its flaw city without the maximum attention to things, even beyond what I am doing.

Also the cyle of Big OLEDs being expensive is not going to break while there is no competition on the market. As the newer TV's come out and the Marketers can quote higher and higher figures related to the UHD Alliance UHD HDR Specs do you think the TV's will get cheaper no chance.

LED's from Samsung might but not OLED - I cant see it happening for a good few years because the scope of the improvements is massive allowing for them to hold a high price justified by the tech.

So I think for a few years to come Gel can keep changing his TV every couple of months back and fourth to his hearts content becasue round the corner there will always be something that appears better on paper with glowing review. Nothing anyone will say will stop - best off just let him get on with it. Its obviously something he loves to do for some real odd reason - he has a TV fetish :)

Could have a worse fetish like .......... :) all meant in a nice way btw

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
The problem is, gel is at risk of going bankrupt if he constantly keeps changing TVs and loses money. His savings are only going to be limited, which basically was for the rainy day, not TVs.
True.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
To me this is the issue for Gel - the memory of something being a certain way is powerful until you go back to it and realise it wasnt as good as you thought it was. Going back makes you appreciate what you had.

I said to Gel for ages the LG he had I didnt think looked great from the photos but the panny oled on the other hand truly did, without even seeing proper content on it which is only just emerging and will take months to be top notch.

55 was never going to be big enough after having a 65 that was obvious, silly to go that route in the first place

What will happen when he has the LG calibrated - it will look like the panny did, which looks a LOT like the VT did - a calibrated image is just that the same - hence the purpose of it.

Now your used to OLED all other TV's wont cut it thats for sure, so advice to by another tech is wrong because all the flaws of that tech will stand out to you like a saw thumb.

You got used to a certain size - watching TV on a 55 is fine - its when you put a letter box 2:35 film on and boom all the magic is gone. You will never be free of that unless you go PJ - but trust me you would hate a PJ because its flaw city without the maximum attention to things, even beyond what I am doing.

Also the cyle of Big OLEDs being expensive is not going to break while there is no competition on the market. As the newer TV's come out and the Marketers can quote higher and higher figures related to the UHD Alliance UHD HDR Specs do you think the TV's will get cheaper no chance.

LED's from Samsung might but not OLED - I cant see it happening for a good few years because the scope of the improvements is massive allowing for them to hold a high price justified by the tech.

So I think for a few years to come Gel can keep changing his TV every couple of months back and fourth to his hearts content becasue round the corner there will always be something that appears better on paper with glowing review. Nothing anyone will say will stop - best off just let him get on with it. Its obviously something he loves to do for some real odd reason - he has a TV fetish :)

Cheers buddy, I am really hoping just to stay with this one now, anything else will just be not as good.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I hope you do because as soon as the next round comes out within a matter of months thats better and the next round and the next etc they will all have glowing reviews and be the next best thing since sliced bread - you have to accept that yours isnt as good as that.

Trust I know how hard that is - but without endless deep pockets it will always be the way, you can never keep up

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I know my VT isn't as good as the new oleds in terms of the ultimate black levels, but it's not far behind I know. My point is this; the same as ellisdj the grass is always greener but it really isn't.. Please gel try to learn to enjoy what you have and be proud to have what you have in your life.

The latest isn't always the best, it can be the 2 steps back..

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
I know my VT isn't as good as the new oleds in terms of the ultimate black levels, but it's not far behind I know. My point is this; the same as ellisdj the grass is always greener but it really isn't.. Please gel try to learn to enjoy what you have and be proud to have what you have in your life.

The latest isn't always the best, it can be the 2 steps back..
Cheers mate.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:
Its obviously something he loves to do for some real odd reason - he has a TV fetish :)

correct there are worse things he could be doing... ;)
People on AV Forums are far worse than me too.

Paul.

I'm still sat on my 2012 51E6500, after borrowing that JS9000 I thought I would hate going back to the plasma. For about three weeks I did, then I forgot! It's good enough that when I watch a film I'm not thinking about the picture, that should be the aim I guess.

Paul.

gel said:
Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:
Its obviously something he loves to do for some real odd reason - he has a TV fetish :)

ah, the old tale of a straight laced young lad hanging out with a bad crowd? Always say no to cigarettes...

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
I'm still sat on my 2012 51E6500, after borrowing that JS9000 I thought I would hate going back to the plasma. For about three weeks I did, then I forgot! It's good enough that when I watch a film I'' not thinking about the picture, that should be the aim I guess.
I am finding I am not watching many films anymore though, because I am bored of the same picture quality, I am itching for something new and really good and I really nearly got that with the Panasonic OLED. It was a lot of money though, and I found the LG 55eg960v good but not as good as I thought it would be then the humming from the TV ended that one otherwise I would've kept it. I wish I had never got rid of my lg 55ea980w. Now I am trying to find one I like again.

I got the money and not much in my life changes from year to year and I can't see that changing either. I know what you are saying though about the picture not changing much. I had a Panasonic 50V20 and then a Panasonic 50vt30, then a Panasonic 50gt50, Pioneer 5090 and a Panasonic 50vt65 and not much changed at all, that's why I have been a big fan of OLED, but I am finding it hard to get used to 4K and HDR, it looks great on USB stick but then on blu Ray I am not getting the same picture so far.

I am hoping the LG 65E6v will be the right choice because apparently they have fixed all the issues that went before with the LG Oleds.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:

ah, the old tale of a straight laced young lad hanging out with a bad crowd? Always say no to cigarettes...
I did actually try a cigarette the other day, my first one in about 15 years and hated it! Still got the other 19.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Look at how many tv's you have had in the last 5 years - its insane and your still not settled.

There is no way your settling on anything you will keep changing them over and over as new ones come out - watch this space.

Paul.

gel said:
I got the money and not much in my life changes from year to year and I can't see that changing either.

What would you like to change? £4K could buy you in to pretty much any hobby you like, it's in the right ballpark for a second hand speed boat or jet ski. You could try horse riding, cycling, hill walking, photography, karting, RC cars, I'm sure we could all think of more if you wanted ideas?

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Look at how many tv's you have had in the last 5 years - its insane and your still not settled.

There is no way your settling on anything you will keep changing them over and over as new ones come out - watch this space.
Most have been faulty though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
gel said:
I got the money and not much in my life changes from year to year and I can't see that changing either.

What would you like to change? £4K could buy you in to pretty much any hobby you like, it's in the right ballpark for a second hand speed boat or jet ski. You could try horse riding, cycling, hill walking, photography, karting, RC cars, I'm sure we could all think of more if you wanted ideas?
If I could change something I think I probably would but I am set in my ways and find it very hard to change due to some problems I have. I am basically a recluse and don't go out much apart from volunteering and job club and trips to John Lewis.
regular_smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

You would think 10 faulty TV's in 5 years would be enough to put someone off buying them constantly.

Come on Gel - thats not the reason you have been changing them dude.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Gel has 2 options. Keep swapping tvs and possibly losing money until he is bankrupt and then wish he didnt and regret what he done all his life or stick with this one tv no matter how hard it is.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
gel said:

You would think 10 faulty TV's in 5 years would be enough to put someone off buying them constantly.

Come on Gel - thats not the reason you have been changing them dude.
Panasonic 50v20 - faulty, Panasonic 42v20 faulty, Panasonic 50vt30 - not good, Panasonic 50gt50 first faulty second faulty third faulty.
regular_smile.gif
Panasonic 50vt65 good but sold pioneer 5090 faulty, lg 55ea980w good but sold, Panasonic OLED good but sold. Yep, it's definitely time to keep one!

TRENDING THREADS