Which Surround Amp?

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi all - I'm new to this great Forum, but I've been lurking for some time!

As much of my listening is music, I try and keep the two-channel stereo set-up as unaffected by the surround stuff as possible. The front channels are supplied by a Naim Supernait running my trusty bi-wired Linn Keilidh speakers, while the Kef surrounds, Linn centre and Velodyne sub are handled by a Yamaha DSP-AX640 receiver.

To enable me to upgrade to Blu ray, I'd like to switch the surround amp to one having HDMI inputs. I guess on paper the system doesn't look well-integrated and hopelessly unbalanced, but it sounds great, so I was wondering if you'd feel I'd be fine just going with the new Yamaha 763 or 863 amps, as it's only being used for surrounds, centre and sub?

Be grateful for any comments you may have!

A

Anonymous

Naxos:

I guess on paper the system doesn't look well-integrated and hopelessly unbalanced, but it sounds great

Be grateful for any comments you may have!

Not sure what you mean by the above part of what you said. Are you talking about your current system?

Both the yamaha amps you mention seem to be good choices. The former has 2 HDM inputs and no upscaling. The latter has 3 hdmi inputs and full upscaling.

There is also the Sony DG820 and Sony DA2400es plus the Onkyo 606 and 875 you may consider.

Boo

daveh75

neither the sony dg820 or onkyo 606 have pre-outs so are no good. but agree that both yammys would be a good choice

you could also consider getting a blu-ray player that can decode the hd audio on board and output by multi-channel outs then you could keep your current set up

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys -

Thanks for getting back! Sorry for the confusion - I was indeed talking about my current system, into which I now want to add Blu ray and, subsequently, Freesat for HD (I don't have Sky).

I don't need the video upscaling, just the ability to steer the HD audio. I'm thinking of getting either the Panasonic 35 or 55 BD players. Are you saying then, daveh75, that I could still enjoy (nearly) the same sound quality using my existing Yamaha with the Supernait, even though it only decodes DD and DTS onboard? By multi-channel out, I assume you mean 6-way phono connectors? I think I still have a set from a previous set-up, and it would be great not to have to shell out for another surround amp just to get a couple of HD inputs!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts