Which preamp for Fosi Audio v3 Mono's ?

gasolin

In the A new system for £857 what are you buying ? we started talking about the Fosi audio v3 mono amps for £180 with power supplys, which i think is a great deal compared to audiophonics in france

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifiers/fosi-audio-v3-mono-tpa3255-p-19171.html
(comes with a psu, link is just to show what i would cost)

Do to the super low price, i think you would use a equally low priced preamp, mabye something for £120 so it would cost £300 or no more than £180 if it's a streamer you can connect one or 2 unit + a subwoofer to

But what would you be able to buy ?

This combination for £300-400 would seriously be a more powerful alternative to a wiim amp

im not gonna buy one but am curious if it's even possible to buy something for no more than the price of the 2 amps + psu (£180), with streaming you can connect mabye 2 sources to + a subwoofer, that matches the sound quality of the fosi Audio v3 mono's, which i think wil distroy the wiim amp in turns of sound quality

Last edited:

Gray

There's talk of Fosi bringing out their own preamp soon - and I doubt that will be too expensive.

You could of course just put a streamer or DAC with variable output, preamp function straight into the power amps.
(I'd want a physical volume control on any such device though - no risking full-volume blasts from software-based volume controls).

Reactions: nopiano

gasolin

But is there any with input for 2 sources like a tt with built in phonostage (or an external phonostage) + a cdplayer and streaming,bt

Even if the amps are good enough for £1000 speakers like kef meta ls50 or Monitor audio silver 100 7g or sonus faber lumina II i hardly think you would spend twice as much on the streamer,preamp

I think you would buy reasonable priced speakers like kef Q350, Dynaudio emit 10, Q Acoustics 3030i (you can get a pair for under £250) Dali Oberon 3, B&W 607 S3 or to get more power to you're old floostand speakers

Reactions: Gray
No, you're right.
That's why there will be quite a few potential buyers hoping for a bargain Fosi preamp to come out.
Yes, I’m far from typical using a Linn streamer/DAC/pre into a Fosi amp! Maybe that’s why I got good results?!

I agree with you that these mini DACs are too susceptible to powering on at 100% gain. One advantage of the earlier Fosi v3 stereo amp (the one I’ve hung on to, as it happens) was you use the volume control to turn it on, thereby preventing this type of issue.

Reactions: Gray

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I've already got the V3 monos on order from the kickstarter campaign so will receive mine next month at some point, apparently.

Mine will he hooked up to my Django TVC passive pre-amp, which has a Stevens and Billington transformer, so pretty decent stuff. The Fosi monos will sound great on the end of this - I've already owned the V3 original so know what to expect.

Fosi have already developed a valve pre from memory of the purchase options for additional money and it was very cheap. Less than £100. Whether this will match the quality of the Monos remains to be established. Based upon my experience with the V3 original I expect the monos perform to a very high standard, relative to their cost.

Like Nopiano above, the rest of my kit is also pretty decent which will be going into the Fosi's, so the results will be very pleasing (as was the case on the V3, and the mono's are improved on this, apparently, according to Fosi).

Onto the original question though. If I were doing it on a budget and needed a pre, I'd probably pick up a Schit Saga second hand and run that into the monos.

I intend to write up some thoughts of my experience with the mono's when they arrive.

Reactions: nopiano and Gray

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
As a cautionary note for anyone that may be interested in buying the mono's.

Be aware that the 48V 10A power supply is intended for two amps and run with a splitter. Some reviews I've seen mention distortion which will be corrected before general release. It's also physically large in size.

There is an option to buy two monos and two 48V/10A power supplies. Do not do this - I've checked with Fosi and there is no sonic benefit to doing this. Just more cost (and space taken up).

The option to select if you want individual power supplies to each amp is 48V/5A power supplies, X2. One for each amp, so they are powered individually. Each power supply is intended to run a single amp only.

Reactions: nopiano and Gray

Sound as a Pound

May 8, 2024
Visit site
"Do to the super low price, i think you would use a equally low priced preamp, mabye something for £120"
I'm not sure about that. Even at full price, I suspect the V3 Mono might be good enough to not be embarrassed in more expensive company. I think of them as a good way to save money on amps to divert to better speakers for a given budget.
I can see a lot of systems using them with the WiiM Ultra as early indicators suggest the combo would rival just about anything at twice the price.

At the cheap end, is the Arylic BP50 a better choice than the S50Pro+?
Tonnes of functionality but doesn't sound great apparently.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arylic-BP50-Bluetooth-Receiver-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B0CDX16FWT
Or the WiiM Pro with added remote for £170 or any number of DACPre units at around the same price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts