Which Mid-Range 7.2 Receiver?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So I didn't get the Marantz 1607 under the tree this morning :-(, but I do get to go to Bestbuy and pick out a 7.2 receiver at Bestbuy when the sale starts tomorrow :) :) :).

The Marantz 1607 retails for US$700 plus tax, so I would be paying quite a hefty premium for a compact case and not much power, so although it would be my first choice, I figure I should look at the other options too, taking $700 as my maximum budget.

Only caveats are that the receiver must be 4K / UHD pass-through or upscaling, HDCP2.2, HDR, etc. compatible, have a wired network socket, have Atmos (just in case) and pre-amp outputs for a second zone (the patio) later.

The main use will be driving up to six channels in all-channel stereo, with eight later by using a modest power amp for the last two. Sound quality needd't be audiophile but just good enough...

Choices are:

Denon - none with all the above features below $700 limit

Marantz NR-1607 - $700

Onkyo TX-NR555 - $450

Onkyo TX-NR646 - $400

Onkyo TX-NR656 - $550

Onkyo TX-NR757 - $600

Pioneer VSLX301 - $700 - wifi but no WIRED networking

Sony STR-DN1070 - $400

Sony STR-DN1060 - $600 (why this is more than the 1070 I don't know)

Yamaha - no models with pre-amp outpputs below the $700 limit.

I'm thinking either the Marantz 1607 as I originally wanted or the Onkyo 757. What says the collective?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Let me start by saying that iam glad to be in a position to suggest something to you Benedict. You've no idea, but I closely follow all your very informative and humourous posts. Quote - "Atmos ceiling speakers are not for lying on the floor and basking in music".
And upon your and big boss's advise have bought a sr6011. It's you , big boss and eliisdj that I most closely follow.

But anyways even of showing my gratitude.:)

Coming to the point. I have a Sony str-dn 850. And it sounds really good in 5.1 mode. I haven't tested it in 7.1 as I dont have the speakers for that. And the best part is, as compared to my bluesound powenode which costed 650 pounds, the str-dn 850 is effortlessly musical. And it has the power to drive my concept 40 speakers better my powernode. Even after my sr6011 arrives, I intend on latching onto my Sony. It's really so good. So I would suggest trying out the str-dn 1070. Which should be much better . Haven't heard any of the denons you've mentioned. So I can't compare. But Sony in stereo in my opinion is still good at whatever they do

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments (I think) and the suggestion. Never had a Sony before. The only drawback, apart from yet another remote to loose, is that the budget Sony's don't appear to have Atmos or DTS:X decoders. You're right about not lying on the floor admiring your Atmos speakers' musicality, aesthetics or brand (aesthetics and brand being my original points) but none the less if the Memsahib decides she wants surround sound, I'd like Atmos, not least because fitting side surrounds or even rears is going to mean speakers on stands (which she won't have no matter what) or one devil of a wiring job. Our side walls are non existent (all glass one side, open plan the other) and I didn't have the builders put in wiring for rears, a serious c#*k-up on my part. Plan B for rears is Bluetooth or other wireless mode speakers on shelves later. Won't really get a chance for proper auditions as Bestbuy is a bit like Currys in the UK - everything from toasters to TVs - and the store is bound to be mobbed.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Narrowed it down to a shortlist of two-and-a-half (? - see below):

Onkyo 656 or 757 - only $50 more for the 757 so guess which one I'd go for;

Marantz 1607 per orginal thoughts.

Anyone got any opinions or is it much of a muchness between the three?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there a 5.? receiver I can add a power amp to in order to get 7.? Surround?

I am contemplating a spare Onkyo 535 I have sitting in the games room not being used much, but open to suggestions. The 535 has zone 2 pre-amp outputs but I don't think those will give me 7.2 surround. If anyone knows better( like using the zone 2 outs to feed a power amp for the fronts, please let me know.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
PS. A kerb jumped out in front of my wife's Mercedes CLK 350. SHE was driving. Honest, your honour, the kerb jumped right out into the middle of the road!

Two front tyres, two McPherson struts, two lower control arms...
There goes the new receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts