Question AV-Receiver Upgrade

Dworan

Sep 1, 2021
Visit site
I currently have an Onkyo Tx-Nr646 which I've never really been quite happy with. Considering finally upgrading to something that better fits the rest of my system:

Turntable - Rega Planar 3 (2016)
Riaa - Nad PP 2e
Receiver - Onkyo Tx-Nr646
Front - Klipsch RF-82
Surround - Klipsch RP-240S
Center - Klipsch RP-440C
Sub - Klipsch R-112SW

I've always felt that the onkyo doesn't deliver enough power, so I have to turn the volume up quite a bit for the sound to really "open up". The active sub really helped free up the low end, but it's still an issue.
Was thinking of getting something like a Denon AVC-X4700H(?)

I'm also thinking the front speakers might be the next thing holding me back. Really like the sound of the Klipsch speakers, but does anyone have any experience with how mine holds up against more expensive or newer versions?

gasolin

I found this review (look what speakers they use), the amp should be good enough, next time make shure to have pre out for all the channels

D

Deleted member 108165

I've always felt that the onkyo doesn't deliver enough power, so I have to turn the volume up quite a bit for the sound to really "open up".
Volume dial position is no indication of power as all volume pots are different. What you appear to have at the moment is far better than a volume dial which is too loud at 10 o'clock position and clipping at 12 o'clock.

Dworan

Sep 1, 2021
Visit site
I found this review (look what speakers they use), the amp should be good enough, next time make shure to have pre out for all the channels

Sure it's "good enough", but I'm at a place when I want an upgrade, and this semms like the logical component to change. The review you linked even states that it doesn't perform as well as Onkyo's higher end receivers, presumably with the same speaker setup.

Volume dial position is no indication of power as all volume pots are different. What you appear to have at the moment is far better than a volume dial which is too loud at 10 o'clock position and clipping at 12 o'clock.

Although my knowledge on the subject is limited, I'm aware that volume pots are different. I'm still under the impression that a more powerful receiver will perform better when playing on when not playing as loud, or am I completely wrong here? The way it is now, I seem to get a lot more clarity and definition when I hit the completely arbitrary number of about 43, sometimes as high as 50, but at that point it gets too loud and tiresome for longer sessions... Is this completely down to the speakers?

Dworan

Sep 1, 2021
Visit site
If you are considering a new amplifier, also consider a 2 channel amp instead of another av amp.

That was my first thought, but the receiver I have now doesn't have pre-outs...

I have several (mostly not that serious, but still annoying) gripes with the Onkyo so I'm getting something new either way. I'm just looking for some feedback on what people who know way more about this than I would recommend.

The Denon you're considering is an excellent AVR. Certainly demo to see how it performs with your speakers. Marantz SR7015 is worth considering too, with a musical incline.

However, if you're only looking for a 5-channel AVR, check out Anthem MRX540 which will be a proper upgrade for your system.

Tinman1952

The way it is now, I seem to get a lot more clarity and definition when I hit the completely arbitrary number of about 43, sometimes as high as 50, but at that point it gets too loud and tiresome for longer sessions... Is this completely down to the speakers?
This is a great point. It is not just the speakers but the room response also. For a given recording level I think there is a ‘sweet spot‘ for volume in any room which gives the best listening experience.

D

Deleted member 108165

This is a great point. It is not just the speakers but the room response also. For a given recording level I think there is a ‘sweet spot‘ for volume in any room which gives the best listening experience.
Couldn't agree more, Tinman. I use the DR Meter rating from Foobar to pre-set volume levels, there is definitely a volume "sweet-spot" across my recordings. It can vary quite significantly depending on the DR score, but it does exist.

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts