Which Marantz PM 6002 companions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a Maranz PM6002 amp, which clashes completely with my old speakers and mini hifi. Thanks to you all I have clearer idea on the speakers and I have done some research on the other separates. Considering that my lounge is only 17x10 feet and the speakers need to be wall mounted at the corners of the room, can you please let me know your opinion on these companions?

Speakers: B&W 685, Monitor Audio Bronze BR2, Mission E30, KEF iQ1? Would the ones on the cheaper end still do a good job?

Turners: Denon TU-1800DAB, Cambridge Audio DAB500? are they compatible?

CD Players: Maranz CD6002 or 5003?

Is that a good combination? Thanks a lot.

A

Anonymous

If was me I would be heading towards the B&W 685s...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice! Have you got an idea on which turner and CD player would be best?

A

Anonymous

No idea on tuner but I use the Freeview for mine! CDP? Um, I really don't know but I would probably go for the best you can afford.

A

Anonymous

Thanks
emotion-1.gif
The Denon TU-1800DAB has a better review than the CambridgeAudio DAB500. Thing is that I don't know which is the most compatible with the Maranz PM6002... Anyone else has a clue?

A

Anonymous

The tuners you have will work perfectly - both of them - however the Denon is a better tuner so I would go with that and flog the other.

Speaker wise, the B&W 685s are the best speakers for under £500 I have heard to this date. As for the Missions I recommended earlier, they lack the bass depth of the B&Ws and the outright punch, but they are sooooo quick that they transform your music collection - very forward and yet not too bright they are absolute gems for the price and they can really pump the volume even with their low sensitivity and sealed cabinet - for day to day speakers look no futher than the B&Ws, but the Missions are great for a second system!

A

Anonymous

That's really helpful! Highly appreciated! I'll buy the Marants 6002 CD player, the Denon tuner and the B&W 685s, connect it all up and I'll let you all know the result.
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Alternatively, you could book a demo and check them out beforehand....? At around the £700 you'll be handing over, wouldn't it be worth a chat with a dealer who might give you some other options that might suit your tastes?

A

Anonymous

yeah, that's always a good option, but the time in my hands is not much and to be honest I wouldn't know to which dealer in London to go to, who has such a vast stock of different brands. I have been in a few places last week end and found the staff not very helpful, not descriptive or knowlegeable about the products and just pointed at amps with a few added words. For such reason I joined the forum. You've been exceptional and What Hi-Fi reviews helped me to really get an insight. I'm impressed by all of you. i might wait a little more to see if anyone else has tried the combination in a similar environment, then, I'll get down to the shops..or net...

T

the record spot

Good points; you could try calling up Billy Vee in Lewisham (I think it is) who I've found helpful, Walrus Audio in New Quebec Street (but they might only do higher end equipment), but are very helpful and friendly - I spent £2 on a spacer to lift my Rega's tonearm and the guy was excellent.

Also, Harrow Audio in North London too.

The equipment's good, but how it'll sound together, I have no idea. Marantz generally enjoy a forward and lively presentation, but bags of detail. I've had a few Marantz items over the years and like what I hear from them. Not so sure about the Mission M33i's - I might be more inclined to the KEF or B&Ws, but that's only on the basis of the Mission ranges of late seem to have dipped from their mid-late '90s heyday.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Good points; you could try calling up Billy Vee in Lewisham (I think it is) who I've found helpful, Walrus Audio in New Quebec Street (but they might only do higher end equipment), but are very helpful and friendly - I spent £2 on a spacer to lift my Rega's tonearm and the guy was excellent. Also, Harrow Audio in North London too. The equipment's good, but how it'll sound together, I have no idea. Marantz generally enjoy a forward and lively presentation, but bags of detail. I've had a few Marantz items over the years and like what I hear from them. Not so sure about the Mission M33i's - I might be more inclined to the KEF or B&Ws, but that's only on the basis of the Mission ranges of late seem to have dipped from their mid-late '90s heyday.

Thanks for the additional advice. I'm verging more and more towards the B&Ws 685. From the reviews and all of your opinions they seem to be by far the best, within the price range. I have seriously considered the KEV iQ1 due to the Uni-Q design and the fact that they are said to work better up by the wall. I might well try to call Billy Vee in Lewisham...

A

Anonymous

Dear all, as promised, I'm back to let you know my final set up and how it works:

Marants PM6002: great amp although, with 45w.. it's not loud at all, but what a great sound. It suits my smallish lounge, 17 feet by 10.

Speakers: B&W 685 (found a great deal, £300, Tottenham Court Road, London). I love every bit of them, thay sound great with the Marantz. I am thinking of pairing my 685s with a set of smaller speakers and was thinking of the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1... or the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom, which have great review as Marants companions. Any opinions?

Tuner: Denon TU - 1800DAB. I have mounted the internal antenna provided and I get all channels instantly and very clear. Great sound. But,,the FM is problematic and takes ages to tune. I don't really use it, but still..

CD:....well, here's where I failed..or maybe not... I bought the tuner and CD...well, DVD at Richer Sounds. I had infact reserved the Marants PM6002, but as I was also interested in a DVD, when I asked their view, I let myself be convinced in buying a DVD, the Cambridge Audio DV99 AND a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. I was told that that combination would have out performed the Marants CD6002 by itself. As I didn't plan to buy the DVD at the same time, not the DacMagic, I had to save somewhere... The annoying thing on the DVD99 is that you must use the remote control as there's no RW and FFW buttons on the front panel. it plays CDs very well to my hear, but the real incomparable difference it's made when it is pugged through the CA DacMagic. Read below

Cambridge Audio DacMagic: What a piece of machine!!!!! I have plugged both the Denon tuner and the CA DV99 into it. When both separates are not connected, they sound good...but once plugged in it's day and night!! The sound really comes alive, it's much clearer, vibrant. Suddently it's like having live music in my lounge. So, don't know if the Marants CD6002 would have been better, but what I can hear makes me smile and my Denon is also smiling! Tiny downside is that having my tuner and DVD/CD plugged through the DacMagic, means that I cannot use the amplifier remote control to operated them. Too many remote controls, but my lounge is small, 17 feet by 10, so I don't really mind. At the moment I have my PC connected to the CD input of my amp as i haven't found a 1.5m USB cable yet. I can't wait to be able to hear the difference of my PC digital music!

Cables: Cambridge Audio optical cables £20 each to connect the tuner and DVD/DC to the DacMagic and Cambridge Azur 0.75 silver cable £50 to connect the DabMagic to the Amp (all provided and suggested by Richer Sounds staff..I haven't done my homework on that, so I still don't know if that was a good advice..)

I have shopped around to get a good deal, which saved me over £200. With just over £1100, including the amp, I have a brand new system that makes me, my partner and friends VERY happy.

So, thanks for all of your past inputs. I love you!! Please feel free to discuss and leave comments on the above, it would be interesting. Lxx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts