Marantz CD 6002- PM 6002

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,i am looking to build my first hifi system without spending a fortune!! i was looking through the what hifi system guide and quite fancy the marantz 6002 amp and cd player!!i see you can add 2 sets of speakers here!! does that mean i could bi wire it? if so would this make much of a difference??but you reckon this system could drive much better speakers? i was thinking maybe the monitor audio bronze br2s as i you recomended in another issue!!would they suit this system well?? or could you recommend anything better? and could this system be connected to my sky HD,denon 1930 and sony bravia kdl 2000w so i could watch dvds and sky through my speakers? and if so what cables would i need? would be gratefull of any advice you could give!!!

thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, one at a time. The two-speaker spec means the amp can drive a second pair of speakers in another room. Different to biwiring (do a search for biwire or biwiring on this Forum and you'll find plenty on that).

Re speakers - yes, the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s would be OK, though system could sound a little light, and the electronics are capable of driving better-still speakers. B&W's 685 speakers (£380) sound great on the end of the Marantz pairing (as long as you buy decent, heavy stands, too).

And yes, you could hook up your AV kit to the stereo amp, too.

A

Anonymous

Hello
Your choice is spot on for your first system!! If you go for the MA BR2s you can bi-wire them from the PM6002 yes, and personally speaking I find a better separation of sounds when bi-wired - though others on here disagree... Use your own ears and you will see, metaphorically speaking that is...
You may also want to check out some of Cambridge Audio's stuff, it always gets good reviews and I had some old CA gear that served me very well as an intro to hifi, Richer Sounds have a deal on CA cd+amp and Mordaunt Short 902i (i think?) speakers, for around the same money as the Marantz, though IMO the MS speakers don't match the MA BR2s...

Neil.

P.S. I don't do home cinema so can't comment on your A/V conundrum....

A

Anonymous

D'oh!!
Over-ruled by Ms Newsome...
Ignore anything I may have said about bi-wiring.
I'll be going now... quietly...

A

Anonymous

Ok cool, thank you Clare!!! so what stands would you reccomend for the B&W's then?

A

Anonymous

Partington Super Dreadnoughts. Or if you can't stretch to that, you'd get away with Soundstyle Z2s. Filling the latter should help them cope with the fairly meaty B & Ws.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I mentioned the Soundstyles to someone the other day thinking of the B&Ws and Clare reckoned they were too lightweight. I'm not sure if you can mass load them either - if you can, you definitely should. Otherwise, her main recommendation was the Super Dreadnoughts mentioned above, but if they're too expensive, look at the Atacama Nexus 5s or 6s which can be massloaded with sand or Atacama's Atabites (which are much less messy!).

A

Anonymous

Super Dreadnoughts but dont forget to positon them correctly. It took me about 10 differents positions to get them right, now they sound great.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]I mentioned the Soundstyles to someone the other day thinking of the B&Ws and Clare reckoned they were too lightweight. I'm not sure if you can mass load them either - if you can, you definitely should. Otherwise, her main recommendation was the Super Dreadnoughts mentioned above, but if they're too expensive, look at the Atacama Nexus 5s or 6s which can be massloaded with sand or Atacama's Atabites (which are much less messy!).[/quote]

Yes, the central pillar has a whole in the top (in addition to the screw hole) to allow mass loading. You could also fill the small two pillars via the screw holes, although this would be fiddly and most likely a bit on the messy side.

letsavit

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Re speakers - yes, the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s would be OK, though system could sound a little light, and the electronics are capable of driving better-still speakers. B&W's 685 speakers (£380) sound great on the end of the Marantz pairing (as long as you buy decent, heavy stands, too).

[/quote]

I'm looking at this system, what about the speakers on good solid shelves,would i still get good results?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts