up-grading my 9 year old Hi Fi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Need help.

Presently have a NAD C340 amp, Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player with B+W 601 speakers. All bought 9 years ago and were 5 star rated by What Hi-Fi. Recently bought a Denon TU 1800Dab Tuner, but my NAD amp is too old to have Digital connectors and only has analogue connectors.

I am working on the basis that as the amp is the heart of the system it is worth replacing my old Nad 340 to get the best out of the tuner and enhance the rest of the old system.

So what would be the best amp to buy to get the best from my new tuner. I am considering the Marantz PM 6002, the Rotel RA - 04 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A v2. budget of about £200 - 250

Also will the new amp enhance the overall system or is it likely that I will need to start replacing the speakers and CD player as well.

John

A

Anonymous

I dont own a DAB tuner but would it just use standard RCA outs?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Generally, yes. If you can though, try and pick up a sky box and dish off ebay, as sky uses 256kbit rates for all it's radio rather than the 128/192k of DAB - much better sound, and you don't need a viewing card or subscription for the radio channels (to clarify, you don't need these for dab either). Just a compass to align the dish!

A

Anonymous

I'd heard that radio through Sky was better than DAB. Do you know what bit rates freeview radio uses?

tajules.

A

Anonymous

Back to your original post, why aren't you considering a new NAD for your replacement amp? I haven't heard a Cambridge Audio amp that sounds better than a NAD, so I'd eliminate CA from your list, IMO.

Add the new NAD C355bee (or it's older brother - C352) to your audition list...see what you think.

A

Anonymous

Yes the Cambridge Kit won't sound good to you. After nine years of NAD it will sound cold as ice and perhaps a wee shrill.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

and thanks to everyone so far for the help.

I must admit that my original system does still sound good and from what has been said it looks like sticking with NAD is the best option. My main concern is that I have bought a Tuner to listen to DAB radio and as it stands at the moment I can only use it as an FM tuner through my existing NAD C340 as I don't think the NAD C340 has DAC. (You'll have to forgive me as I'm not very up to date on things, but I think that that means Digital Anologue Convertion.) So an expensive way of adding an FM tuner.

John

TRENDING THREADS