Which speakers? Please help.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey!

I am really hoping that someone can advise me as to the best speakers for the kind of music I listen to along with a compatible system.

I live in a basement flat and my lounge/diner is 13ft x 16ft, with
the main living space divided by an L shaped wall about 13ft x 10ft.
All the available wall space is taken up by bookshelves, a small
upright piano and lounge furniture. I listen to mainly goth,
industrial, electronica and a bit of jazz and blues. I like my music
pretty loud with a good clear sound.

I may well buy a Denon DM37DAB as they seem to have great reviews or if I can stretch to it (and this is a really big if) I would love separates so that I can build it up a bit later with a turntable and ipod dock. I am not bothered about having a radio.

I was just wondering if it's worth buying separates for such a small space or would the Denon DM37DAB be adequate? My choice for separates are most likely Marantz PM6002 with either Marantz CD5001 or CD6002 with Dali Lektor 1 or Monitor Audio BR2 speakers.

Would there be a great difference in sound quality if I buy these budget separates as opposed to the Denon all-in one?

I was thinking of the Denon DM37DAB with either Tannoy Mercury F1 @£90, Monitor Audio BR2 @ £196 or Dali Lektor1 speakers @£230. Is it worth spending the extra on either MA BR2 or Dali Lektor1 with this compact all-in-one unit?

Unfortunately, due to illness I cannot get out to actually listen to these options before buying. What with my budget and lack of shelf space the very compact Denon DM37DAB is looking more and more likely as I am also having problems finding an online retailer that can mail out the Marantz separates to me.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved as I am very confused and anxious to make the right decision.

matthewpiano

Denon and MA make a great combination.

Have you approached your local hi-fi dealer? I wonder whether they would be enlightened enough to offer you a demonstration of the Denon Vs Marantz in your home, seeing as you can't get to them. I'm sure some dealers will balk at the idea but I'd like to think there would be one near to you that would go that extra mile and, in the process, possibly gain a loyal customer. Worth asking anyway. They can only say no. If I was a hi-fi dealer I'd do it (I have been involved in doing something similar with a TV set for a customer).

A

Anonymous

We purchased the Denon last week from Empire Direct for £149 but they have gone back up a little now. We purchased a pair of Mordunt Short Avant 902i from Richer Sound( Price match Vickers Hifi for £99} We think they are brilliant with the Denon DAB37 and if you like clear clean sound you certainly get it with this combination.

Plenty of volume at well below half throttle!

We are not Hi Fi experts but can say that this combination works well for us for the type of music you say you like.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Matthewpiano and Greenfrog93.

The MS 902i's are definitely a good price Greenfrog93.

Are both the MA BR2's and MS 902i's OK placed near a wall on a couple of 4ft wooden cd towers? Or do I need metal speaker stands? If I can get away with using the cd towers I would prefer to as space is limited. Also, what kind of cable would be best suited? Is there anything else I need to attach the speakers to the main unit?

Thanks again.
Rachel

A

Anonymous

Hi Rachel the BR2's sound great even when placed near a wall but that's due to the fact that the bass is front ported, I think you would notice quite a difference between those and 902I's especially in terms of placement near walls.

Oh and don't forget the blutack
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS