Speakers companion for Marants amp and/or compatible mini hifi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, after my NAD amp packed up, I have bought a Marants PM 6002. The main speakers, some very old wall mounted Pioneer speakers (8ohms) 40x23x25, are wall mounted and have to be quite close to the wall. The lounge it's in is 17 feet by 10. I connected the Marants to a Sony mini hifi system with 6 ohms speakers. It used to be fine with my ancient NAD, but with this the result is quite bad, even if I keep the bass to the lowest lever it's still too strong and over shadows the other instruments and voice in most tracks.

Can you suggest a solution? Different speakers? I was thinking of the Wharfdale Diamond 9.1, the Tannoy Mercury F1 custom or the Monitor Audipo Bronze BR2. Would they help, conidering that the speakers will have to be wall mounted close to the wall. Or is it the mini hifi giving the problem? Is there a compatible one with the Maranz or I have to get separate components?

Thank you very much for any advice.

T

the record spot

Hi Lol, welcome to the boards here, Marantz gear works pretty well with Mission speakers, although I think you might find the current batch from Mission have had some mixed reviews. B&W, KEF, Epos are the usual suspects at this price usually. I think the Mrantz could cope with a speaker at a higher level than the Mercury's and the Tannoys well enough, good though those speakers are.

A

Anonymous

Mission E30 - you can get them from ebay for £90 brand new now...best mini-monitors I've heard for under £380.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your advice. . I have since read all the review of the speakers you suggested within the £150 - £450 price range.I have excluded the Tannoy and the Wharfdale Diamond as suggested...

The Mission m32i at £180 are not bad at all but need to be placed 50cm from the wall (as the m31i), which is a problem.

Epos M12.2 at £450 have a great review, but they are better placed on stands placed further in the room, so they might be wasted close to the wall on the wall mount.

Of the B&Ws the 685 (£380) have better review then the little brothers 686 (£280), that are said to lack a bit of excitement.

The KEF iQ1 (£200) are good at 4 stars, but they are said to have a bit of a cluttered sound. Anyhow, they are best placed close to the wall.

Any suggestion? In addition, do you reckon that the sony mini hifi is still ok, or must be changed? Thanbks ever so much!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts