admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought a Roksan Kandy Mkiii. To replace a big ugly Yamaha AV receiver.

I used to use optical toslink to the AV receiver, but the Roksan doesn't have digital inputs.

I'm planning to at some point get an Arcam rDAC, but that's out of the question at the minute.

I've found a couple of cheap ones until then. One is £15, and one is £40. I don't mind paying the extra if it's likely to be a decent improvement, but what do you think? The £40 one says it works at 24-bit and upto 192Khz. My computer's high-end sound card supports that and it sounds just sparkley.

Do you think it's worth paying the extra for the £40 one, or will they both be a "much of a muchness" in that price range?

Thanks, Mike.

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just use the sound card until you get something much much better. Incidentally, use should look at the Asus Xonar Essense STX, which is close to the Arcam/ Cambridge. Then when you get the proper DAC, switch to the Coaxial output on the Sound Card.

I used that sound card and just got the audiolab MDAC

A

Anonymous

I'm not using the computer as a source, the reference to the computer was just to mention I like (and want) the 24-bit 192khz specification of the dac, because I have that on the computer and like it.

I've bought the £40 DAC from Richer Sounds. It'll take a toslink from the tv, which takes two HDMI connections from my two sources, a new Apple TV and a SkyHD box.

I'll be a good enough dac until I get the Arcam rDAC I've got my heart set on, and hopefully better than the £15 ebay ones...

:D Can't wait to get home and try it out...

A

Anonymous

Well I hooked up the £40 DAC from Richer Sounds, and I'm more than impressed with it. The detail from it is incredible! I really doubt I'll even bother with the £280 Arcam rDAC. At least not for a while anyway.
grin.gif

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
i-CONICA said:
Well I hooked up the £40 DAC from Richer Sounds, and I'm more than impressed with it. The detail from it is incredible! I really doubt I'll even bother with the £280 Arcam rDAC. At least not for a while anyway.
grin.gif

The Beresford range of DACs are under £250 if you want to upgrade without paying an arm etc. When the owner of a borrowed Beresford DAC wanted it back, I resorted to using the one in my Panasonic TV. The bass wasn't that brilliant but the imaging was. I eventually bought my present audiolab M-DAC which is a absolute bargain for £525. Very cheap DACs & the ones found in TVs, DVD players etc can be surprisingly good as you have discovered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts