Which CD player to replace original Arcam Alpha

hifi_fan1

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

Currently have an Arcam Alpha CD player, Cambs Audio 640A Azur and Grado 325 headphones

Been meaning to replace this for a while. The resale value is actually pretty decent, and would like to replace before it eventually stops working, and hopefully to get more sound detail.

I am a headphone listener and in two minds so need advice.

Do I go for a new Marantz 6006 (yes I am only basing this choice on the reviews, is it that good?) and use the direct headphone out, or spend the same kind of money on a used player and keep going through my amp? I have so far seen Arcam CD82s and Roksan Kandys in my price range.

What I suppose I am really asking is

1) Are £600 players of 10-15 years ago better than £300 players from today

2) Should I use a player with direct headphone out? or go the traditional way via my fairly basic amp?

Thanks

The arcam cd82 is a fantastic cd player and can hold it's own against my current arcam ir dac,My naim cd5i italic isn't that far in front either .Although dac technology has moved on,other factors come into play with cd players...psu,transport system etc . second hand is your best bang for buck without a doubt.Also if your current player works fine and has a digital output then you might want to consider something like chords mojo.I believe it can also be used as a headphone amp as well as a superb dac.

Ps I have owned both a arcam cd 72t and then cd82 and the improvement was quite clear to me anyway.so I'm pretty sure the move from the older alpha would be a good one.

@Mark

The DIVA range is/was very good, however...

Given they were released at the beginning of the naughties and was replaced by the FMJ range around 2008. Therefore the chances of getting one that'll last is a gamble.

I have the CD73 but it's used sparingly, as my main source is either vinyl or radio.

hifi_fan1 said:
Hi all

Currently have an Arcam Alpha CD player, Cambs Audio 640A Azur and Grado 325 headphones

Been meaning to replace this for a while. The resale value is actually pretty decent, and would like to replace before it eventually stops working, and hopefully to get more sound detail.

Do I go for a new Marantz 6006 (yes I am only basing this choice on the reviews, is it that good?) and use the direct headphone out, or spend the same kind of money on a used player and keep going through my amp? I have so far seen Arcam CD82s and Roksan Kandys in my price range.

2) Should I use a player with direct headphone out? or go the traditional way via my fairly basic amp?

Thanks

If you're looking for just a very good CDP then Arcam FMJ CD17 could be worth a punt, as will a new Marantz. You need a source that'll balance out the Cambridge presentation:

Arcam; Nad; Roksan; Marantz; or even Cambridge CDP. They should work a treat together.

Can't advise on a CDP with a headphone socket. I haven't come across one in years.

plastic penguin said:
hifi_fan1 said:
Hi all

Thanks

If you're looking for just a very good CDP then Arcam FMJ CD17 could be worth a punt, as will a new Marantz. You need a source that'll balance out the Cambridge presentation:

Arcam; Nad; Roksan; Marantz; or even Cambridge CDP. They should work a treat together.

Can't advise on a CDP with a headphone socket. I haven't come across one in years.

Headphone sockets can be found on universal disc players such as the Oppo. Not that the OP may want to spend so much.

hifi_fan1

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comments so far. I am not looking to go the headphone amp route as I would eventually like to replace my speakers, though might not be until I move into a bigger house.

In terms of a used CD player. At what point would my limiting factor become my amplifier (or even headphones)? I see arcam CD72s and 82s appear on the auction site fairly often. But based on the completed listings the odd CD192 appears (generally around £250). which I would be happy to pay, but would that be worthwhile?

The CD192 is excellent, but because production was ceased in about 2008 reliability could be an issue. CD players, more than other components, can suffer from transport and/or laser issues.

That said, if you can source a s/hand CDP (regardless of make) from dealer that'll give a safety net.

I sold my arcam cd82 to a friend a couple of years ago now.....it's still going strong...I'd have no worries about buying a used arcam cd player even if you get a couple of years out of it...you got your money's worth.nothing lasts forever and if your going to buy used gear you've got to take your chances.But I still would go down the dac route as it opens the door to other options....cd transport,playing music from your mobile devices,that digi/sky,virgin tv and games console can all go through a decent dac playing through your stereo system...your only governed by how many inputs it has ...my wee ir dac has five or six.....when my naim cd5i mk2 gives up .I'll not be replacing it.I'll upgrade the dac (naim dac 'chord Hugo)and get a cheapish transport . that's how I'll deal with cd replay.....UNLESS really good ones get really cheap.lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts