Which B&W speaker for NAD amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I can get a pair of B&W 685 or ex-demo CM1 at a similar price. I wonder which will be a better match for NAD C326BEE. They will be placed in my smallish bedroom (10ft X 15ft) and placed half a foot away from the rear wall. In demo I liked 685 over MA silver RX1 but not sure if its going to be a tad boomy in my room; on the other hand I am not sure if the amp is powerful enough for CM1.

Thanks

..............................................................................................................

Stereo: PC(Foobar)> CA Dacmagic> NAD C326BEE >QA(?Upgrade)
AV: Dali Lektor 2+LCR +1, Linksys DMA2200> Onkyo SR607>Pana TH42PZ80< Pana BD35, Tacima MC, QED and Fisual cables

A

Anonymous

cant answer your question , but i think the c326bee will have enough power for any of them speakers , its quite a powerpacked amp ..

A

Anonymous

i'm running a C326 with 685s in a small ish room and there's no boom from the speakers; its a good match!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd say the B&W 685's as well but the M/A BX2's and M/A RX2's should be considered IMO

Not sure what your budget is and what type of music you listen to

A

Anonymous

I listen to variety of music ranging from Jazz to rock, but not a big fan of hip-hop type or heavy metal. Budget is between £300 and £400.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
YUou'll not go far wrong with the B&W 685's then
emotion-1.gif

Get a decent pait of stands (i.e Partington Super Dreadnoughts or the Atacama HMS1's) and you're laughing
emotion-1.gif

The Dreadnought stands have made a superb upgrade to my 685's but I already knew they would seeing as I had that combo about 18months ago!

A

Anonymous

The CM1 is the better speaker, so if you can get it for a good price, go for it.

SteveR750

Depends on whether you want to stick with the amp for a while yet, or upgrade within the nxt couple of years. If former, 685s and spend the difference on CDs and beer/wine etc; if the latter then the CM1s would be worth considering. Does it have to be B&W?

A

Anonymous

Does not have to be B&W, but when I auditioned BW 685 against MA RX1 and wharfdale 10.1, I preferred the former. I heard MS Mezzo couple years ago and did not like it.

..............................................................................................................

Stereo: PC(Foobar)> CA Dacmagic> NAD C326BEE >QA(?Upgrade)
AV: Dali Lektor 2+LCR +1, Linksys DMA2200> Onkyo SR607>Pana TH42PZ80< Pana BD35, Tacima MC, QED and Fisual cables

A

Anonymous

agree jsl - 685's and 326 in smallish room - really taught bass, really clear, b&w suggest a listening triangle of 1.5 - 3m so we must be optimised !

Must sound really great in a bigger space though - love to turn that amp up

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:The CM1 is the better speaker, so if you can get it for a good price, go for it.

Totally agree.

No doubt the 685 is quite nice, but to my ears, the CM1 is in an entirely different league. The CM1 is much more accurate with voices and has a higher degree of transparency over all. The CM series in general is under rated. They are very good speakers.

A

Anonymous

At the end bought used CM1 . Quite impressed so far. Bass extension with "love lockdown" surprised me! I am using the supplied bungs as speakers are placed less than a foot away from the rear wall.

One final question, which type of speaker cable I shall use: copper or silver? Someone told me at the Bristol show that copper cable is better suited for the speakers with metal dome tweeter and silver for the silk domed ones. Is it true?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i think its because most would say that silver plated brightens the treble up a little whilst the copper wont. i also think that metal dome tweaters sound brighter/shriller at high frequencies than the silk dome ones. its all about what sound you like at the end of the day tho

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts