Hi everyone, I have a new idea for my stereo setup but I'm not sure if it is worth it. The following is the setup I have now,

Laptop (s/pdif) -> Schiit Bifrost DAC -> Schiit Asgard2 Headphone Amp (pre-amp) -> NAD C315BEE Amp-> B&W 685 S1

Since the NAD amp is an integrated amp and I already have a pre-amp to feed it, I want to sell my NAD and upgrade it with a Power Amp. I did some research and found out B&W speakers are best matched with Rotel Amplifier, so the one I have in mind is the Rotel Rb-1552 Mk II Power Amp ($1,099).

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy such an expensive amp to feed my speakers, since I heard that the budget of speakers:amp ratio is 2:1 , which is the amp should worth half as much as the speaker.

So...do any of you fellows have some advice ? I really appreciate it !!!! :D

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Rotel 1552 Mk11 feeding a pair of 685s and using a Audiolab Mdac as the pre - amp. I listened to a few options before I bought it and yes it is a little on the expensive side for the speakers, but once I heard it I did not care about slightly higher price tag. Go and have a listen for yourself and I pretty sure you will think it is worth the couple of $ extra.

Good Luck.

Hi Okazaki Fragments

Or if you don't mind considering used/discontinued amplification then look out for the excellent RB-991, RB-1070 or a RB-1080
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I am using this setup in my bedroom, it's not really a big room, so the power doesn't have to be too high. And the B&W 685 can only handle 120W per channle max., the perfect match should be the rb-1552.

The most concerned question I have is just the budget problem, do I really need such an expensive amp to drive these speakers?

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
hybridauth_google_113637329147901703889 said:
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I am using this setup in my bedroom, it's not really a big room, so the power doesn't have to be too high. And the B&W 685 can only handle 120W per channle max., the perfect match should be the rb-1552.

The most concerned question I have is just the budget problem, do I really need such an expensive amp to drive these speakers?

My speakers only handle 150 watts max but it does not stop me using a 300watt amplifier.

This gives tremendous control over the speakers.

If you use a pro amp like me there is no budget problem or any other problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts