NAD C320BEE + B&W 685s = WOW factor...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just put this little system together as I wanted to bring my main system to our spare room as that's where it'll get used the most with me working from home and so I've replaced it with a NAD C320BEE I've had for years and some ex-demo B&W 685's I've just picked up from Audio T for silly money...

WOW...
smiley-surprised.gif

Completely forgot how good the NAD amp is; bags of power and effortless sound. The 685's are still superb speakers (should know this is my 3rd set haha) and for me better than the MA RX1's which I listened too as well (but the RX2's will always be my fave standmounts but too big for this need)!

Cureently got the Commitments soundtrack playing through them and I'm singing my heart out whilst tidying up (wifes 30th this weekend so mugs here is doing the chores like a good little house bi**h I am) ;) :D :p

The NAD works so well with the 685's; sounds fantastic with vocals. Already had my test tunes from Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Linzi Zaorski & Caro Emerald on as well as tracks with very deep, solid bass like Trentmoller, Mount Kimbie & Boys Noize...

Got it all hooked up to my Apple TV2 via a FiiOn D3 DAC (if you havent experienced one of these yet you MUST buy one; they're only £30 and sound fantastic) and streaming from my MacBook Pro & iTunes upstairs via AirPlay...

Effortless system :D

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
d_a_n1979 said:
A good 12-14inches with ease :)

No boom; no dull thumping; just taut, deep bass and a really good open soundstage :D

Cheers 79, do you reckon they would give the same results at about 8''.

Id say so; they're forward firing so easier to place really.

Need good, solid and mass loaded stands under them though to get the best out of them IMO

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Nice one. TBH I was surprised when you sold the 355 and RX6s.

I assume you you no longer have the A5s.

TBH squire the RX6s were amazing; more so with the NAD C355BEE but overall too big for the room.

Gone through all different floorstanders since; Neat Motive 2s, Rega RS5s, QUAD 22L2s, PMC GB1is etc... All brilliant but the Motive 2s were my fave; seriously regret selling those! Gone through a load of amps too but still not found many that can better the Arcam Alpha 10!!!

Aktimate Maxis (not Audioengine A5s) were great but limited tbh but a great solution if you don't want a separates system and still sounded very good. If I were to go active again I'd go for the Swans M200s or Yamaha HMS80s or Dynaudio BM5a MkIIs etc with a good DAC (Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
Aktimate Maxis (not Audioengine A5s) were great but limited tbh but a great solution if you don't want a separates system and still sounded very good. If I were to go active again I'd go for the Swans M200s or Yamaha HMS80s or Dynaudio BM5a MkIIs etc with a good DAC (Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

Just for information, the Maxis and Swans are not actives (despite the manufacturers describing them as such), they are powered passives. The Yammies and Dyns are actives (active crossover and seperate power amp for each drive unit).

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
Just put this little system together as I wanted to bring my main system to our spare room as that's where it'll get used the most with me working from home and so I've replaced it with a NAD C320BEE I've had for years and some ex-demo B&W 685's I've just picked up from Audio T for silly money...

WOW...
smiley-surprised.gif

Completely forgot how good the NAD amp is; bags of power and effortless sound. The 685's are still superb speakers (should know this is my 3rd set haha) and for me better than the MA RX1's which I listened too as well (but the RX2's will always be my fave standmounts but too big for this need)!

Cureently got the Commitments soundtrack playing through them and I'm singing my heart out whilst tidying up (wifes 30th this weekend so mugs here is doing the chores like a good little house bi**h I am) ;) :D :p

The NAD works so well with the 685's; sounds fantastic with vocals. Already had my test tunes from Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Linzi Zaorski & Caro Emerald on as well as tracks with very deep, solid bass like Trentmoller, Mount Kimbie & Boys Noize...

Got it all hooked up to my Apple TV2 via a FiiOn D3 DAC (if you havent experienced one of these yet you MUST buy one; they're only £30 and sound fantastic) and streaming from my MacBook Pro & iTunes upstairs via AirPlay...

Effortless system :D

Good stuff! :)

I'm a bit of a sucker for NAD amps & B&W speaker combos myself, owning a C350 & C326BEE paired with B&W DM 601 S3 speakers. Very satisfying in power, punch, clarity, depth, finesse, sound staging and refinement IMO.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M. said:
d_a_n1979 said:

Just for information, the Maxis and Swans are not actives (despite the manufacturers describing them as such), they are powered passives. The Yammies and Dyns are actives (active crossover and seperate power amp for each drive unit).

yes I know; just wanted to call them how they're generally known as and not getting into too much of a finer point about it :)

matthewpiano

I still own a NAD C326BEE and, although I'm currently powering my 685s with the Denon, I do also love the NAD/B&W combination so I can completely understand where you are coming from Dan. It is such a flexible combination with real depth and atmosphere across a wide range of music. Hard to beat at reasonable money IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts