Which AV reciever.. Yamaha or Pioneer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently building a home cinema system which i need some help with.

Currently have Panasonic 37" LZD70 1080p TV and a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu Ray player.

Decided on the Kef KHT2005.3 speaker package, just need to decide on an amp. Ideally i would like the Yamaha 863 but the Yamaha 763 is more in my price range. That or i like the look of the Pioneer 1018. I will be using the amp for mainly movies but wouldnt mind connecting my Ipod for music and the Xbox.. Is this possible with these amps? Ive read the reviews for each amp but would like to know what features i would be missing out on that would benefit my system if i went with the 763?

I wont be upgrading for a while so would like something with latest technology.

Any advice muchly appreciated.

Hi Bowser

I would personally consider the Yamaha's (imo amongst other aspects they are a better tonal match for the speakers) and if your budget allows the 863SE.

Both the Yamaha's can be used with ipod (they have the optional YDS-11 available) and they should be fine with an xbox (although i have not tried them with one).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Bowser i have these KEFs with the 763 and am very happy with the setup. Use for both music and movies, great in both applications!

I demoed the Yamaha RX-V1900 and compared it with the Pioneer SC-LX81 (the dealer did not have the LX71 available for demo). Pioneer was very bright sounding and was tiring after a few minutes. In contrast, the Yamaha was amazing. Very clear, detailed and 'wholesome'.

I demoed the equipments with the Monitor Audio R270HD fronts, R250HD centre and R90HD surrounds with RSW12 subwoofer and played the Wall-E scene in which Eva lands on Earth. Im sure the pioneer receiver will sound better with bigger speakers, but with these speakers, the sound was almost 'screechy'.

The dealer told me that some people prefer bright sounding units, so it's best to listen to the receivers before making a purchase.

Yamaha is certainly better than Pioneer for music. Yamaha also manufactures musical instruments, and so it knows the requirements for music well, as evidenced by their superb receivers.

A

Anonymous

I traded in a Pioneer VSX 1014 bought late 2004 @ £800 for a Yamaha AX763 a few months ago, and have to say that the Yamaha EASILY outpoints the Pioneer on musicality. Although not the Pioneer amp you're considering, mine was good and powerful with movies, but just plain tiring for listening to music any longer than half an hour or so - and it's ability to handle surround-sound SACD's was simply dreadful - indeed, that's why I opted for a new amp fromit in the first place. The Yamaha by contrast is a very nimble and confident amp, and it's a genuine treat to listen to my music (Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Muse etc) through it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyones comments.. So would i gain a noticeable difference upgrading to the Yamaha 863?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts