WHF obsessed with EBs?

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I was reading November issue and was surprised in the Ultimate System Builder section WHF recommended EB1 to partner with Roksan Caspian M2 and Naim Nait5i, IMO either EB1 are that good or Roksan which cost 3 times the speakers doesn't deserve speakers better then EB1. I think it is a real embarrassment for Roksan and Naim.

On a similar sort of query Clare recommended to use a 2K budget speakers with Cyrus and stated you will be doing real injustice with Cyrus if you are using a 1K budget speakers. here is the link http://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/271937/ShowThread.aspx

So why there is mismatch in opinion, either you are biased towards Cryus or so obsessed with EBs that forgot to see the price tag of Roksan and Naim ;), by the way I don't have any association with either Roksan or Naim.

A

Anonymous

Zubkabera:

I was reading November issue and was surprised in the Ultimate System Builder section WHF recommended EB1 to partner with Roksan Caspian M2 and Naim Nait5i, IMO either EB1 are that good or Roksan which cost 3 times the speakers doesn't deserve speakers better then EB1. I think it is a real embarrassment for Roksan and Naim.

On a similar sort of query Clare recommended to use a 2K budget speakers with Cyrus and stated you will be doing real injustice with Cyrus if you are using a 1K budget speakers. here is the link http://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/271937/ShowThread.aspx

So why there is mismatch in opinion, either you are biased towards Cryus or so obsessed with EBs that forgot to see the price tag of Roksan and Naim ;), by the way I don't have any association with either Roksan or Naim.

What a silly thing to say. Remember 1 thing. If EB1 or EB2 where available in the shops, They would be £950.00 and £1300.00 respectively. Trust me when I tell you there is no bias towards mine or anyone else's product at WHF. If I even suspected "the old pals act" was in play, I'd pull my product like a shot!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Zubkabera:I was reading November issue and was surprised in the Ultimate System Builder section WHF recommended EB1 to partner with Roksan Caspian M2 and Naim Nait5i, IMO either EB1 are that good or Roksan which cost 3 times the speakers doesn't deserve speakers better then EB1. I think it is a real embarrassment for Roksan and Naim.

The designer (Rick) actually developed the EB1 (and EB2) with the use of a Roksan Caspian

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Zubkabera:I was reading November issue and was surprised in the Ultimate System Builder section WHF recommended EB1 to partner with Roksan Caspian M2 and Naim Nait5i, IMO either EB1 are that good or Roksan which cost 3 times the speakers doesn't deserve speakers better then EB1. I think it is a real embarrassment for Roksan and Naim.

The designer (Rick) actually developed the EB1 (and EB2) with the use of a Roksan Caspian

And a Nait 5 and CD5i Chebby. Tried them with Cyrus as well. Left me cold I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

EB Ricky:And a Nait 5 and CD5i Chebby. Tried them with Cyrus as well. Left me cold I'm afraid.

Which left you cold? Cyrus or Naim?

Cyrus, I'm sorry to say. I know they do work on Cyrus. Probably me.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Zubkabera:

The former, judging from the rest of this thread.

Yet another EB thread to add to the WHFI S&V archive...
emotion-7.gif

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The OP needs to realise higher prices doesn't always mean higher performance. The EB's obviously punch well above their price tag compared to other speakers. Well done to EB I'd say. I used to believe higher price meant better but learnt it doesn't with my current setup which blows me away!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Yet another EB thread to add to the WHFI S&V archive...
emotion-7.gif

So?

Should there be a quota imposed on EB related threads maybe?

Marantz, Cyrus, NAD, Naim, Rega, Roksan, B&W, KEF, Sony and many others all get very frequent mentions* so why not EB Acoustics?

*Let's take Arcam to demonstrate this. 500 pages of posts that mention 'Arcam' in the archive...

http://whathifi.com/Search/Forums/arcam/Date_Desc/

(And that is probably limited by the software because it only goes back to Dec 2008)

chebby:

emotion-7.gif

So?

Marantz, Cyrus, NAD, Naim, Rega, Roksan, B&W, KEF, Sony and many others all get very frequent mentions* so why not EB Acoustics?

Let's take Arcam to demonstrate this. 500 pages of posts that mention 'Arcam' in the archive...

http://whathifi.com/Search/Forums/arcam/Date_Desc/

(And that is probably limited by the software because it only goes back to Dec 2008)

Don't take it too literally, chebby. It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, and not a knock at the OP, Rick, WHFI...

How long has Arcam been in existence? Marantz? etc etc etc...

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi EB,

No offense but from customer point of view we don't care if you make your speakers on your home kitchen table or some factory in china or Bristol. My question is when WHF provides a guideline on budget breakup of speakers/amp/cd etc and on one hand they say don't do injustice to product by buying low cost speakers against one product and on other hand they recommend to use speakers with amp 3 times the price then these quesitons will be raised.

matthewpiano

Actually, and I'm sure Andrew or Clare will correct me if I am wrong, but the system builder article was focused on the EB1s. The whole point was to show the different combinations that would work well with them, with the Naim based set-up providing a suggestion for really getting the best out of the speakers. The article wasn't necessarily about getting the absolute best out of the Naim electronics.

Also bear in mind Ricky's post. If the EB1s were distributed in the usual way they would be comfortably equivalent in price to the Naim Nait 5i.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:then these quesitons will be raised.

As indeed you have, even though I have to say I fail to see the point you are making, or the justification for the sensationalist headline.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed.

We are not obsessed with any brand. And there is a HUGE difference between general advice (as a rough rule, try and balance the cost of your components) and specific features (how a product that punches above it weight - due to no dealer margin in the case of the EBs - could possibly be paired).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Indeed.

(how a product that punches above it weight - due to no dealer margin in the case of the EBs - could possibly be paired).

Yes, indeed. The rrp price does not always reflex (right word??) how much it cost to make. Dealer's % margin can range from 20% all the way to 70%, I have seen 100% on some products but mainly cables). The end of the day, if the system sound great together, who care how much (or in this case how cheap!) the rrp is.

Thaiman:Clare Newsome:

Indeed.

(how a product that punches above it weight - due to no dealer margin in the case of the EBs - could possibly be paired).

Yes, indeed. The rrp price does not always reflex (right word??) how much it cost to make. Dealer's % margin can range from 20% all the way to 70%, I have seen 100% on some products but mainly cables). The end of the day, if the system sound great together, who care how much (or in this case how cheap!) the rrp is.

Agreed to a point - one has to be sensible and not have a 2 grand amp and CDP and use £300 speakers. Clearly you won't hear the benefits of a hi-end electronics and source (sorry, I know that's taking it to the extreme). But you can obtain good results from a £1,000 amps and £400 speakers - or vice vera. This is why EBs are on my short-list for next year.

A

Anonymous

emotion-7.gif

Don't worry Pingu. This'll probably be the last EB thread for quite a while
emotion-5.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I think the fundamental problem here is the fact it is very difficult to hear before you buy, therefore you are relying on the magazine for info.

If the speakers do punch above their wieght / pricetag, (as I suspect), it still goes against the ethos of many on here buy buying blind.

I would love to hear a pair and form my own opinions and post on these but unfortunately I cannot.

Certainly the split between speaker amp and source is only ageneral rule of thumb, as my speakers in my system Rega R3's were "only" £600 with my CDP costing twice that and my Pre/Power costing four times that. Could I buy better speakers? Of course I could. Are the Rega's holding their own with much more expensive componants, you bet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Worth noting that we only recommend (or indeed review) direct-sell products if they're sold with a money-back guarantee - ie you can try before you finally commit to buying.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
EB Ricky:Zubkabera:

What a silly thing to say. Remember 1 thing. If EB1 or EB2 where available in the shops, They would be £950.00 and £1300.00 respectively. Trust me when I tell you there is no bias towards mine or anyone else's product at WHF. If I even suspected "the old pals act" was in play, I'd pull my product like a shot!!

Well only thing i would say about the above EB Ricky is that you must have either vastly under estimated the value of your product at £470 to buy direct or over estimated the £950 retail price if you were to sell in shops - either that or the mark up on products if far bigger than i ever thought!

How are there any poor hi fi retailers!
emotion-3.gif

SteveR750

matengawhat:EB Ricky:Zubkabera:

Well only thing i would say about the above EB Ricky is that you must have either vastly under estimated the value of your product at £470 to buy direct or over estimated the £950 retail price if you were to sell in shops - either that or the mark up on products if far bigger than i ever thought!

How are there any poor hi fi retailers!
emotion-3.gif

In their defence there is a fixed cost to carry regardless of how many items are sold. I doubt a £5k+ system is sold every day after all, so the gross margin is not just profit in their pockets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts