Complete system set up advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm getting back into the hi-fi game after a few years out. I have a budget of £2000 and was thinking of the following:

Amplifier: Cyrus 6A or Roksan Kandy K2 AMP

CD Player: CyrusCD6 or Roksan Kany K2CD

The problem is the speakers. I can only really have a pair of bookshelfs as I'll need to wall mount these. My room is approx; length 5.5m including bay window, width 3.5m including two alcoves either side of a fireplace and height 3m. I was thinking of mounting the speakers either side of the bay windows about 3m apart. My normal listening position is on the opposite 3.5m wall looking out the window. Questions:

1) Is it worth spending so much on a system if I can only wall mount smallish speakers?

2) What speakers would people recommend with these systems? (I mainly listen to rock)

3) Any recommendations on speaker wall mounts?

4) Any recommended method to firmly attach mounts to lath and plaster walls? (house built c.1900)

Many thanks,

Allan

SteveR750

I had a 6SE + K2 and it worked very well indeed. For your type of music B&W 684 would go well - I auditioned these at the time with the K2 and compared very well to the more expensive Spendor A5.

I never auditioned the K2 CDP so cannot comment.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Maybe look at the Rega RS1 speakers, Rega also supply specific wall mounting brackets for these, they are also tuned for wall mounting but still sound good on stands!

consequently have you considered a Rega Brio R & Apollo R? It would come under £1500 and allow for cables, brackets and maybe a hifi rack.

depends how you want the presentation of your music, but personally would urge you to try the Rega, Roksan & Cyrus systems to see which you prefer.

dont dismiss the look of the Rega gear though like I did, i always dismissed it but after I heard it the looks didn't matter and personally I like the look....quirky I would say!

matthewpiano

My suggestion would be Rega Apollo R or Roksan K2 CDS, Naim Nait 5i, and Neat Iotas. The Neats sound wonderful on the end of the Nait and, for me, although the Brio-R is a very good amp, the Nait is well worth the extra.

Whatever you do, be sure to have a listen to a few different combinations first.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Allan273 said:
Hi All,

I'm getting back into the hi-fi game after a few years out. I have a budget of £2000 and was thinking of the following:

Amplifier: Cyrus 6A or Roksan Kandy K2 AMP

CD Player: CyrusCD6 or Roksan Kany K2CD

The problem is the speakers. I can only really have a pair of bookshelfs as I'll need to wall mount these. My room is approx; length 5.5m including bay window, width 3.5m including two alcoves either side of a fireplace and height 3m. I was thinking of mounting the speakers either side of the bay windows about 3m apart. My normal listening position is on the opposite 3.5m wall looking out the window. Questions:

1) Is it worth spending so much on a system if I can only wall mount smallish speakers?

2) What speakers would people recommend with these systems? (I mainly listen to rock)

3) Any recommendations on speaker wall mounts?

4) Any recommended method to firmly attach mounts to lath and plaster walls? (house built c.1900)

Many thanks,

Allan

Firstly, I would second the ADMs for your budget.

Secondly, I would be loathe to mount any speakers on anything like plaster and lath. Are the external walls really plaster and lath, or is it the internal walls that will be used?

If you really must fix through a hollow wall, then probably the most secure fixings are hollow wall anchors or butterfly fixings, if you are lucky, you might find a stud to fix to where you want your speakers mounted.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Thanks for the info - definitely some food for thought.

I'm still undecided about spending so much on a system that will be limited by speakers/ mounts. Maybe I should just go for the Marantz PM6004 and CD. I'll probably audition both so I can make my choice.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wall speaker mounts? The only ones I can find that look half decent are B-TECH Ultragrip - Pro BT77.

For info, my exterior walls are granite but I'll be attaching the mounts to the interior wall which is lath and plaster (about 50mm thick) with cavity before granite. Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a wooden stud near the mounting position I can screw into.

Cheers,

Allan

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Just an idea, but have you considered 'in wall' speakers? I don't know much about their use, but if you have cavities behind the internal walls, then installation might be straightforward. Richer sounds seem to have a selection right now.

matthewpiano

Allan273 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for the info - definitely some food for thought.

I'm still undecided about spending so much on a system that will be limited by speakers/ mounts. Maybe I should just go for the Marantz PM6004 and CD. I'll probably audition both so I can make my choice.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wall speaker mounts? The only ones I can find that look half decent are B-TECH Ultragrip - Pro BT77.

For info, my exterior walls are granite but I'll be attaching the mounts to the interior wall which is lath and plaster (about 50mm thick) with cavity before granite. Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a wooden stud near the mounting position I can screw into.

Cheers,

Allan

I think you should probably try the cheaper system as well as the expensive one anyway. Otherwise you won't know whether the extra spend is worthwhile for you.

If you go down the cheaper route a perfect match for the Marantz duo would be a pair of Dali Lektor 2s. Front ported, ideal for wall mounting and they sound wonderful with Marantz amplification at all levels. Not the easiest speakers to track down at present but well worth the effort.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts