Experience with the Nubert nuPro line or other active speakers

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello WHF :wave:

I am looking to spend roughly £600 on a new system. It will be playing in a small room around 15m2. I am looking for a complete system for this money which isn't much, I know, but I don't mind second hand either though I live in Denmark which makes the market more limited.

It is important for me to have a nice sound stage and an airy high sound where you get "pulled" into the music where instruments are separated and the voice is airy, detailed and semi in front of you. I am aware of my limited budget but has earlier been impressed by the monitor audio silver rx1 connected to a Yamaha a-s700.

I have earlier been recommended to look at the Nubert nuPro serie and the A-200 would fall within my budget and size wise fit in a small room like mine. All I have been able to find though is a lot of German reviews and one translated into English. It is difficult to ask a review questions so if anyone have some knowledge about the nuPro line to share I would be thrilled. So, do they live up to the reviews? My main question is if they do have the nice an airy lifted top which I am looking for.

Secondly I have found a set of used ADM AVI 9.1T speakers for £550 in good condition. It seems in general that people are really happy with ADM's products but my concern is about the bottom end since they only go down to 55 Hz. I am trying to find the best complete solution where I get the best sound when looking on both the bottom, mind and top. I know I would be able to add a subwoofer later on but that isn't an option for me since there is also other things I would like to have so £600 is around my max in total.

A passive system is also a possibility but I like the simplicity where it takes up lesser space though I would much rather prefer a better sound if that is achievable in a different way.

Please add any suggestion you may have that can help me in my search :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Nubert, like the ADM9s are virtually complete systems, in addition to the amplifiers they have dacs and pre-amp functions onboard and as such offer alot for the money. Speaker 'systems' of this type are relatively rare, I'm struggling to think of other examples.

Active speakers though are not. I like the Presonus Eris 8, a fairly big, powerful speaker with really good bass., they can be shipped out of Germany for about £375. Complete the system with a dac/pre-amp, or just get a dac and use the volume on your source device.

pre_eris8n_side.JPG

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I previously had Dynaudio BM5A monitors and they were excellent, my new speakers are better.

The advice of davedotco is sound, but then you would need a preamp and DAC.

If it were my money, I'd go for the ADM9s, you are buying used, so will not lose as much if anything when/if you move on. Their size as a complete package also makes them handy for a second system if you do decide to change in the future.

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion. I want to point out though that bass isn't the number 1 prio for me. I find the openess/airy high most important. Have you heard the Nuberts? Or how would you compare your suggested speakers with the Monitor Audios? Once again. Active isn't a must for me. The best sound for the money is. :)

Stephan A

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello Overdose. Thank you for the answer. It isn't the ADM9s but the ADM 9.1T - Would you still go for it? As earlier mentioned my concern is the bottom/bass is too weak in the ADM 9.1T. I feel it is as important to throw a good punch as to make the hairs on your am raise when the vocal does its magic.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you hear the ADMs?

I have not heard that version but I would have thought the bass will be OK, yes some speakers may give you more bass but bass is not everything, in fact too much bass is one of the main problems with speakers. At £550 I think u will be hard pressed to find anything better, maybe you can get them for even less? The thing with the ADMs is they are a matched system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you hear the ADMs?

I have not heard that version but I would have thought the bass will be OK, yes some speakers may give you more bass but bass is not everything, in fact too much bass is one of the main problems with speakers. At £550 I think u will be hard pressed to find anything better, maybe you can get them for even less? The thing with the ADMs is they are a matched system.

TRENDING THREADS