WHF equipment rack reviews

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Then I got a small rubber mallet and gave it a few firm bumps with that but still nothing. Then I picked it up and shuck it quite vicously and even that didn't have an effect on the sound.
Congratulations, Sir. You are a true Audiophile. *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Was no problem for most of us we would all buy snake oil anyway whether we believe or not. I know i would. But when money is tight we have to be selective on our real upgrades

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
Then I got a small rubber mallet and gave it a few firm bumps with that but still nothing. Then I picked it up and shuck it quite vicously and even that didn't have an effect on the sound.
Congratulations, Sir. You are a true Audiophile. *biggrin*

Me? An audiophile? How rude. :(

I prefer the term 'slightly obsessive high fidelity music lover' to describe what I am. ;)

As you know from my early days on this forum when I first became interested in hifi I tested out all of the crazy hairbrained audiophile theories for myself (doing blind A/B and occasionally even proper ABX where possible). Most of the theories are rubbish when properly tested.

Now with all that bonkers behaviour out of the way I can sit back and enjoy the music without worrying about the silly things that most audiophiles become obsessed about.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Me? An audiophile? How rude. :(

I prefer the term 'slightly obsessive high fidelity music lover'  to describe what I am. ;)
Pure Semantics!

Of course you're an Audiophile....no other group of people on this planet would attack their Amp with a rubber mallet and then shake it. Embrace the madness. Accept your nuttier side.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
856837daa5d9bdfafc6ab56ed680128fcde52d8320a50982a56faf0b7e222ac6.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Taking solace in evidence based system of knowledge vs bronze age superstition and anecdotes... hmmm... Tough choice.

You may have missed my point. I just keep an open mind.

Unfortunately a completely open mind is an easily inflected one. :)

...and a completely closed mind will not experience anything new. ;-)

Opening your mind to the possibility that solid state hifi equipment might sound different on different racks is akin to opening your mind to the possibility there might be fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Apart from the fact that solid state capacitors are microphonic and that external vibration can therefore introduce noise back in to an amplifier's electrical signal you are completely right. Which means you are completely wrong BTW.

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/TechnicalArticles/Attachments/62/2007%20CARTS%20-%20Reduced%20Microphonics%20and%20Sound%20Emissions.pdf

And less or more noise somehow translates as "...music tends to knit better rhythmically and in terms of organisation".

Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
TrevC said:
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Taking solace in evidence based system of knowledge vs bronze age superstition and anecdotes... hmmm... Tough choice.

You may have missed my point. I just keep an open mind.

Unfortunately a completely open mind is an easily inflected one. :)

...and a completely closed mind will not experience anything new. ;-)

Opening your mind to the possibility that solid state hifi equipment might sound different on different racks is akin to opening your mind to the possibility there might be fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Apart from the fact that solid state capacitors are microphonic and that external vibration can therefore introduce noise back in to an amplifier's electrical signal you are completely right. Which means you are completely wrong BTW.

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/TechnicalArticles/Attachments/62/2007%20CARTS%20-%20Reduced%20Microphonics%20and%20Sound%20Emissions.pdf

And less or more noise somehow translates as "...music tends to knit better rhythmically and in terms of organisation".

True. I'm out.... cos it's all gone to ratshit again.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have posted this on here before numerous time I was very skeptical of platforms isolation etc

Took part in a blind test of 3 systems. Heard differences in each system for 3 tracks that were played. Sometimes difficult to distinguish sometimes more obvious.

They were randomised each time as a b c. There was 3 of us doing it and all heard differences.

Turned out all that was being changed was the hifi rack the cd player was being rested on. I had a preference each time for the same platform even though it was randomised. Proved to me there and then

TrevC

ellisdj said:
I have posted this on here before numerous time I was very skeptical of platforms isolation etc

Took part in a blind test of 3 systems. Heard differences in each system for 3 tracks that were played. Sometimes difficult to distinguish sometimes more obvious.

They were randomised each time as a b c. There was 3 of us doing it and all heard differences.

Turned out all that was being changed was the hifi rack the cd player was being rested on. I had a preference each time for the same platform even though it was randomised. Proved to me there and then

I am sceptical, because I'm not an American.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:

You blind tested furniture?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont get either of the 2 posts above - I think one might be a dig at my writing which gets edited by my phone a lot of the time without me even noticing. The second comment is not funny - good attempt though

People want everything blind tested. It was not a triple blind abx test, however I didnt know what was being changed and I didnt know the system the room or the music being played.

I did hear a clear differences to very small differences and it was at times hard to distinguish and categorise into words between them. However I selected as my preference the same "system" 3 times and my least favourite the same "system" the same 3 times as well. So I could hear a difference. The least favourite was very easy to distinguish each time - that actually was the best platform I now know - the Atacama bamboo based solution as it added the least to the sound.

I was at the time a very inexperienced listener even though I had been into the hobby for many years. Thats not the case anymore.

So being American makes no difference even though I am as British as they come - as I say this might not convince anyone else but it convinced me that day.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
it was the same system the tester was just moving the cd player cyrus CD6S(E might been this model) from a atacama glass rack to the atacama bamboo rack to the floor in a random order catergorised as a b and c

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts