Denon AH-D600 review

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Been making some review videos on youtube so thought i'd post some written ones on here for you.

Now I don't consider myself an audiophile(I hate that word) I consider myself a headphone and music lover. I appreciate good sound and I know and understand good sound aswell as any "Audiophile" but I never speak in audiophile terms! I try to review things in a way that anyone can understand...I try to explain exactly how it sounds and feels.

Please note I have probably made some spelling and grammer mistakes as I have not really been criticle writing so I am sorry in advanced! I'm lazy so rarely check my writing unless i'm being graded ;)

DENON AH-D600

I have owned and heard the previous Denons before they broke partnership with Fostex. I loved the Smooth, clean and energetic bassy sound they produced. I'm also a soundstage nut! meaning I like the sense of space in my headphones.

After reading tons of reviews before deciding on the new line I purchased the D400 at first..review to come! then decided to give the D600 a go.

Now a lot of people bashed the new line with things like "ugly" "grainy" "terrible" you name it they said it!!

Now one thing you learn is trust you own ears but, take all reviews into account and from people that own them or have done extensive listening to them.

Now moving on!

This is purely a headphone review with the cables no box discussion!

Well it's big and nice! there you go :p

Build

These are large, flexable and quite solid. They can be a bit creaky and the sliders can be a bit loose but this isn't a big deal.

I have giing these a stress test and these passed with flying colurs!

1234015_10203107116016044_252779843_n.jpg

I bent these from all kinds of crazy angles! I'm obsessed with durability and I won't accept anything less!

These stood up to some real abuse and after taking these phones apart completly I can see what makes these so durable!

everything is solid pastic and the way they are put together makes it impossible for these to snap at the arms.

The weakest part of these phones is the sliders that come loose.

Cables

The cables are excellent, you get a standard Ipod/phone cable which works well and is portable. It's a bit thin up top but it is fairly decent and should last a while if you look after it. The 2nd cable is similar to the D5000/D7000 cable but detachable! it's the best cable i've seen come with a £200 phone. It is large, rugged and will last a lifetime along with the tanks themselves.

Sound

Here's the important part the sound! These are a bass heavy explosive set of headphones that feel very powerful. The Lows at first are quite boomy and loose which means you will notice the bass become more prominant then the rest of the sound. After some use the bass becomes tight and controlled although can still be a tiny bit loose which isn't so bad. It's a very heavy large bass very similar to the D2000 type of Bass but a bit better controlled. The Mid range is quite a bit behind, they are not recessed, I think too many people throw the words recessed mids around to much! Recessed is like the XB500 which makes headphones sound bad! These have good quality mids, detailed but a tiny bit dry sometimes although sometimes you don't even notice it.

They have a nice engaging type of tone that makes vocals sound beautiful. At first there was was a lot of sharpness all through that made them quite hard listen to but this smooths out just like the bass after about an hour or so. overall nice mids I just wished they could of been a bit more forward but when you have this kind of bass something has to be a bit left out.

Moving on to the Treble, it extends far and has a lot of sparkle and energy. It's very lively and gives these headphones personality! they are a bit bright sounding even after letting them run and smooth out a bit. I would say they are a bit brighter than the DT770 but they are more detailed in this area. They seem to be a bit brighter then the D2000 to my ears but not by much. The headphone is definetly has a bit of a U shaped response meaning the Bass and Highs are extended while the mid range is not, but with these the mids are just a bit behind.

Moving on to the soundstage and imaging, they are both pretty good, they sound quite open with decent imaging. The problem is the Bass can get in the way of some real good imaging and audiophiles will note this very quickly. This makes them a bit of a hit and miss for gaming! the bass and soundstage is there but for positional accuracy the bass is just too powerful and it really gets in the way. Overall i'd say they are ok for this purpose but if you are a serious gamer looking for accuracy and smooth all throughout look at the MA900 by Sony!

Another thing is this speaker driver design..I have found it creates a boxy type of feel. What I mean is it's like having a set of speakers in a room and they don't seem to extend beyond this. they still have a good wide stage but It is restricted in a way.

Now overall this is what to expect when you listen. You will hear a smooth sound after about an hour or so. You will notice the bass is powerful and solid. It will make you tap your feet quite a lot as these are a fun listen! Vocals will sound clear and a bit sharp sometimes with some tracks but the musicality just overides these issues. These are one of those phones that are just made for rocking out and not for pin pointing every detail..atlhough, they are quite detailed and I think if you are an audiphile but want something a little fun but still having detail then these work well. I prefer these over the Sennheiser Momentum, I think the Momentum is too congested sounding and sounds a little boring.

Compared to the V Moda M100, another Bass monster. It's hard to pick, I prefer the M100's more forward Mids and warmer smooth tone but the D600 has a bigger soundstage and is more comfortable. It's a close call they both have good Bass but I find the M100 has a bit tigter bass and the M100 has a more friendly treble but the D600 has a more detailed treble. I picked the Denons overall in my video review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSftouQD8o&list=UUgHe4Awa91B3ZvifJ3_CxSQ

But to be honest I'm just glad I have both because they are the same but with differences!

Anyway hope thus was ok, I'm new to this whole video review and written review stuff so be nice ;)

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
No worries :) I just want to add I didn't pick these up for a while due to being busy with work etc. I hooked them up to my iPod classic earlier on today and noticed the sound has changed more. I've never been a believer in burn in but with these headphones I have noticed them change. I mostly put it down to the ear pads getting use more then anything and maybe the drivers having more use.

The sound is as described but I've noticed the details have Iimproved and the Bass seems closer to neutral but still has power. These sound a lot more balanced since my last listening session.

They have similar detail retrieval to the AKG K550 but with a bit more of a FULL sound. They are still heading on the bright side though.

Igor87

May 1, 2014
Visit site
How do they perform when watching action movies and playing FPS games on PC?
I am strongly considering them, but I would also like to be able to use them for those activities.
Tnx

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
They are exciting especially for explosions. I find them Pretty good.

When it comes to gaming I use my Q701 with my mixamp and at night my Shure SRH1540 which are excellent. The D600 in comparison doesn't sound as open sounds typically closed but with a decent soundstage. I find them average for positional accuracy but pretty good with bass reduction.

They double up fine but I wouldn't buy them just for that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts