WHF equipment rack reviews

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So... Er... WHF's new review of the Hi-Fi Racks Grand Stand equipment rack eh?

When they compared it to an Atacama rack they found that the "soundscape is clearly more open and, as we listen on, the music tends to knit better rhythmically and in terms of organisation."

Riiiight.
rolleyes.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I want a Hifi rack myself but not sure which one to go for as i only have 2 separates but can not believe the prices of this racks I mean £500 for a Hifi rack is it worth it ?

Get on Gumtree, hundreds on there going for a song.

Although I bought a atacama eris in the summer and lovely in dark bamboo as it is...I still couldn't say that there is any improvement in music playback over my old £90 argos special.lol.but it is solid and better for my turntable than the cheaper unit,also there is a certain feeling of pride of ownership.But I definitely think it's another case of snake oil when reviews start to tell us how different they sound.Although I'm certain over on the naim forum I'd be told different and that fraim is needed for higher end kit..OK if you like to spend the price of a good amp on equipment support i suppose.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I want a Hifi rack myself but not sure which one to go for as i only have 2 separates but can not believe the prices of this racks I mean £500 for a Hifi rack is it worth it ?

Dunno and personally I have not tried to compare any hifi racks but my Cyrus Hark Mk1 rack is (to me) a work of art and looks gorgeous with the little boxes. It did I think cost around 500 quid new but as anything, you can pick up second hand racks much cheaper.

Bearing in mind you probably have to look at the thing every time you listen to music (and even when you're not) I think its a good idea to go for something aesthetically pleasing whatever the claims are.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Just bear in mind you can only use the Hark rack with the Cyrus gear (or mini form factor separates)....i think?

Personally i think wood is the best material for racks as it damps a lot of the vibrations. Ive heard that metal and glass racks "can" negatviely affect the sound quality, which makes sense as it will pass the vibrations through it efficiently. FWIW i dont have a dedicated rack, ive got mine on a the rack bit of meaty wooden TV unit and im happy with it (hides the cables well too). "IF" i do ever get a rack it will probably be a "HiFiRacks.co.uk" jobber.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
Just bear in mind you can only use the Hark rack with the Cyrus gear (or mini form factor separates)....i think?

Personally i think wood is the best material for racks as it damps a lot of the vibrations. Ive heard that metal and glass racks "can" negatviely affect the sound quality, which makes sense as it will pass the vibrations through it efficiently. FWIW i dont have a dedicated rack, ive got mine on a the rack bit of meaty wooden TV unit and im happy with it (hides the cables well too). "IF" i do ever get a rack it will probably be a "HiFiRacks.co.uk" jobber.

Correct.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
They used a SS integrated amp and CDP. At least if it was valves and TT we could ascribe some of the review findings to microphonics.

Hmmm.... Haymarket. What sort of 'hay' are they smoking?

i-want-to-go-to-there.gif

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
What you don't do is waste time listening to it!

Or if you do, first listen to both the wooden rack and the one to which you're comparing it without any equipment on it, just to get a baseline for your auditioning.

Set them up one by one in the listening room (don't have both in the room together, as they can affect each other), leave them for a day or two to let the spikes run in on your floor or through your carpet, and then after this period re-check the tightness of the spikes and any fittings holding the stands together. Then just listen to them, as they are, with no equipment on them.

That's the only way to know the effect of the racks alone, without the confusion created by the characteristics of specific items of equipment on them. ;-)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
What you don't do is waste time listening to it!

Or if you do, first listen to both the wooden rack and the one to which you're comparing it without any equipment on it, just to get a baseline for your auditioning.

Set them up one by one in the listening room (don't have both in the room together, as they can affect each other), leave them for a day or two to let the spikes run in on your floor or through your carpet, and then after this period re-check the tightness of the spikes and any fittings holding the stands together. Then just listen to them, as they are, with no equipment on them.

That's the only way to know the effect of the racks alone, without the confusion created by the characteristics of specific items of equipment on them. ;-)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The magazine really is a waste of paper, haven't bought it since the 90's. The reviews I've read here on the website are nothing more than made up noncence. It's been highlighted before that the exact same reviews word for word have been published for different products.

How about checking the reviews when we next need a new HDMI cable, some of these cables produce much blacker blacks and more vivid colours apparently! *scratch_one-s_head*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
They used a SS integrated amp and CDP. At least if it was valves and TT we could ascribe some of the review findings to microphonics.

My thoughts exactly. If they tested racks with record players that would make sense.

As far as CD players and solid state amps (and probably even tube amps too in real world listening tests) all that matters is the price, asthetics and build quality because the rack is obviously going to make no difference to the sound.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
How does a rack score only 3 stars?

If its badly built and woobles or over priced but please d9nt describe how it sounds or makes the equipment sound as a new thread will start about a possible upgrade and it will get bit chy and end in seahorses

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It lost out on 2 stars because the rack doesnt "knit better rhythmically in terms of organisation."

Whatever that means in some bizzare alternative WHF universe.

Ah, so it's a knit-rack, not a kit-rack. ;-) Does Amnesty International know the language is being tortured so cruelly?

spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:
It lost out on 2 stars because the rack doesnt "knit better rhythmically in terms of organisation."

Whatever that means in some bizzare alternative WHF universe.

Ah, so it's a knit-rack, not a kit-rack. ;-) Does Amnesty International know the language is being tortured so cruelly?

I think they should be told. :)

I have a HiFi Racks rack but this one is considerably more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts