When speaker stands aren’t an option

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
What do you do? I’d ideally like some PMC Prodigy 5s but my living room just won’t accommodate them, even though it’s pretty big at 14 x 14 feet. If bookshelves are the only realistic option, what’s the best way to optimise sound quality? Would PMC Prodigy 1s be totally wasted?

Messiah

To clarify, you are saying you cannot accommodate floor standers and therefore could not accommodate stands for bookshelf speakers either (as per the title)?

What would they be put on?

Bookshelves! Can’t do floorstanders or speaker stands.
As you’ve doubtless gathered, ‘bookshelf’ speakers usually sound pretty naff on bookshelves! But the possibility of success depends on quite a lot of factors, including:

What the shelves are made of.
What is nearby, such as a corner, actual books, rattling ornaments etc.
Whether the shelves are at the optimum height.
If you can run the cables there.
Can you wall mount instead?
Can you choose isolators or platforms to keep the speaker off the shelf.

Maybe a picture of your proposed siting might help. Have you heard the Prodigy models?

Reactions: DougK1

Lubosh

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
And what if you lowered the speakers from the ceiling to the desired height? I know. Cable problem. But maybe it could be solved somehow. For example - recording studios. They usually have speakers attached to the ceiling on special brackets.

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
The Prodigy 1's are front ported, so it shouldn't be a problem putting them on a shelf. I'd use isolation pads (inexpensive), and try to have the front edge of the speaker out past the bookshelf edge by an inch or two.

Reactions: DougK1 and nopiano
And what if you lowered the speakers from the ceiling to the desired height? I know. Cable problem. But maybe it could be solved somehow. For example - recording studios. They usually have speakers attached to the ceiling on special brackets.
All true, but recording studios are designed for the purpose, and the original post is about bookshelf mounting not ceiling suspension!

Fandango Andy

What do you do? I’d ideally like some PMC Prodigy 5s but my living room just won’t accommodate them, even though it’s pretty big at 14 x 14 feet. If bookshelves are the only realistic option, what’s the best way to optimise sound quality? Would PMC Prodigy 1s be totally wasted?

I have no experience of these speakers, but by reputation they are quite forgiving in their placement unlike something like KEF LS50 that are notoriously unforgiving. The front port and internal dampening probably helps.

If you are going to put speakers on a shelf or a desktop, make sure its a sturdy one and if you have space invest in some isolation stands.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Would PMC Prodigy 1s be totally wasted?
These are small bookshelf drivers that offer little compared to their high price - they are 5" speakers. This is not enough for full-range sound. You will have to buy an additional subwoofer.
Polk Audio ES15 + HTS 10 Subwoofer is a good choice, a set for 30% of the cost of your option.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
As you’ve doubtless gathered, ‘bookshelf’ speakers usually sound pretty naff on bookshelves! But the possibility of success depends on quite a lot of factors, including:

What the shelves are made of.
What is nearby, such as a corner, actual books, rattling ornaments etc.
Whether the shelves are at the optimum height.
If you can run the cables there.
Can you wall mount instead?
Can you choose isolators or platforms to keep the speaker off the shelf.

Maybe a picture of your proposed siting might help. Have you heard the Prodigy models?
To be honest, this is all hypothetical. I’m moving soon, and probably to a Victorian property, which can be spacious but awkward when it comes to hifi (why didn’t the Victorians factor that in?!) Who knows, floorstanders might be possible! The PMCs look good, as they’re front ported. My current AE 301s are great for this reason, but I’d like something with greater scale etc. If floorstanders aren’t possible, fitting specially designed bookshelves is a good shout. Or even wall brackets? It always surprises me how many people find space for speaker stands!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
These are small bookshelf drivers that offer little compared to their high price - they are 5" speakers. This is not enough for full-range sound. You will have to buy an additional subwoofer.
Polk Audio ES15 + HTS 10 Subwoofer is a good choice, a set for 30% of the cost of your option.
50hz at -3 down seem pretty good to me! you're probably looking at 40z in room response.

However if the OP is look to place these on a shelf I think id be looking at a less excitable sealed designs like that of ATC for instance to help with bloom and bloat.

its a hard one, when you are forced to a use a shelf there will be alot of compromises

Reactions: DougK1

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
However if the OP is look to place these on a shelf I think id be looking at a less excitable sealed designs like that of ATC for instance to help with bloom and bloat.
These Polk Audio bookshelf speakers have a special bass reflex design, which allows them to be placed close to the wall. In addition, for a good result, in any case, you need to use a parametric equalizer to correct the shortcomings of the room, and it perfectly corrects the shortcoming of the “close wall”

The "sealed box" type of acoustic design does not work well for small acoustics, so I am skeptical about such models. Therefore, proposals on the audio equipment market in 99% of cases offer solutions with a bass reflex.

Last edited:

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
a shot of my set up for context. not ideal in terms of speaker placement. the shelves are wooden and pretty solid, but hollow. ideally i'd have a speaker either side of the fireplace, but cabling is an issue.

Attachments

• hifi.jpg
    hifi.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: nopiano
To be honest, this is all hypothetical. I’m moving soon, and probably to a Victorian property, which can be spacious but awkward when it comes to hifi (why didn’t the Victorians factor that in?!) Who knows, floorstanders might be possible! The PMCs look good, as they’re front ported. My current AE 301s are great for this reason, but I’d like something with greater scale etc. If floorstanders aren’t possible, fitting specially designed bookshelves is a good shout. Or even wall brackets? It always surprises me how many people find space for speaker stands!
The great thing is you may have reasonably high ceilings. The snag if floorstanders do fit, is you’ll doubtless have a sprung floor which can cause their own issues. All perfectly solvable though!

Good luck with your house hunting.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
No ability to "get creative" with some conduit in order to put floorstanders either side of the fireplace? i.e. through the cupboard below the equipment? But I feel your pain - I hate the sight of cables.
if i was staying here, i think the only option would be cables under the floorboards and installing some solid shelves either side of the fireplace. i reckon my next place will have a similar layout, but at least i can start from scratch!

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
The great thing is you may have reasonably high ceilings. The snag if floorstanders do fit, is you’ll doubtless have a sprung floor which can cause their own issues. All perfectly solvable though!

Good luck with your house hunting.
thank you! with the next house, at least i can reconfigure the whole set up from scratch. i'll just have to wait and see if that involves floortsanders or not!

Reactions: nopiano

Fandango Andy

The Victoria's have a lot to answer for. The rooms are far too square for ideal positioning. And they gave no thought for parking cars! 🤣

Have you ever watched any A British Audiophile videos?

He seems to make a victorian room work with a speaker either side of the chimney. He has said it isn't ideal but it works.

Reactions: bartlett23

TRENDING THREADS