Speaker advice

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have q acoustic speakers running on my primary (2020i) and secondary (3020) systems. They both sound fantastic but I have a slight problem with my secondary 3020 setup.

Simply put I have to make sacrifices due it is situated in the living room half of my kitchen, on brackets 6 feet up. Also the room is quite large (7m x 4.5m approx-not huge but I am thinking to large for the 3020,especially when not ideally positioned).The secondary speakers will never sound a s good as my set up on stands on my main system but at the moment the secondary one is the one I use most due family entertainment requirements in the main room.

If I bought a bigger shelf speaker would it give a more room filling sound. My budget is not big (circa 200 pounds). I cannot test beforehand but think I am relatively easy to please and may not appreciate the absolute differences between a very good set up and one that may be a little better (so think any advice on good speakers would likely be sufficient). I am willing to sacrfifice a little of the detail and finesse that the 3020 give (as they sound great but maybe a little overwhelmed) where positioned.

I read a little about the wharfedale diamond 225, they seem large and due the bottom port might be unfussy about placement, a little more than I want to spend, but might be an option.

Has anyone any advice. Thanks

muljao said:
I have q acoustic speakers running on my primary (2020i) and secondary (3020) systems. They both sound fantastic but I have a slight problem with my secondary 3020 setup.

Simply put I have to make sacrifices due it is situated in the living room half of my kitchen, on brackets 6 feet up. Also the room is quite large (7m x 4.5m approx-not huge but I am thinking to large for the 3020,especially when not ideally positioned).The secondary speakers will never sound a s good as my set up on stands on my main system but at the moment the secondary one is the one I use most due family entertainment requirements in the main room.

If I bought a bigger shelf speaker would it give a more room filling sound. My budget is not big (circa 200 pounds). I cannot test beforehand but think I am relatively easy to please and may not appreciate the absolute differences between a very good set up and one that may be a little better (so think any advice on good speakers would likely be sufficient). I am willing to sacrfifice a little of the detail and finesse that the 3020 give (as they sound great but maybe a little overwhelmed) where positioned.

I read a little about the wharfedale diamond 225, they seem large and due the bottom port might be unfussy about placement, a little more than I want to spend, but might be an option.

Ideally speakers, whether on stands or wall brackets, should be situated with your head just above or just in line with the tweeter. I would try standing on a chair and sitting down to see whether you can hear a difference.

Before splashing out on new monitors I would experiment first.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
muljao said:

Ideally speakers, whether on stands or wall brackets, should be situated with your head just above or just in line with the tweeter. I would try standing on a chair and sitting down to see whether you can hear a difference.

Thank you. The thing is I can't reposition them. That is the compromise, I know the speakers themselves are good. I had in fact the 2020i in the same position for a while. When I transferred them onto my main system at listening height on stands it was like getting new speakers, the difference was great. I am looking for something that gives a more full sound within my restrictions and budget. Do you think that is possible

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Your positioning is not good as you know.a larger Speaker will help with your problem but never solve it.i might even say try a new amp as sometimes this can give you bigger sound

muljao said:
plastic penguin said:
muljao said:

Simply put I have to make sacrifices due it is situated in the living room half of my kitchen, on brackets 6 feet up. [/b]Also the room is quite large (7m x 4.5m approx-not huge but I am thinking to large for the 3020,especially when not ideally positioned).The secondary speakers will never sound a s good as my set up on stands on my main system but at the moment the secondary one is the one I use most due family entertainment requirements in the main room.

Thank you. The thing is I can't reposition them. That is the compromise, I know the speakers themselves are good. I had in fact the 2020i in the same position for a while. When I transferred them onto my main system at listening height on stands it was like getting new speakers, the difference was great. I am looking for something that gives a more full sound within my restrictions and budget. Do you think that is possible

Problem is with your positioning limitations I'm not sure that a traditional speaker will give you the required sound quality.

I would guess, given their position, that you are only getting about 75-80% of the full SQ. If you're willing to spend up to 2k on speakers, chances are you will [again] only get around 75-80% SQ of the new speakers. If you can live with that compromise then go with it.

If you like Q Acoustics - I do - I would have a home dem of the Concept 20s. Still small but should give you a more rounded sound.

Might also be worth looking at a Marantz Pearl Lite.

insider9

The above concerns are valid. At the very same time this is how you're able to use them so I'll try and help in my own way.

I'd say that it may just be that the main system is the one you listen to most :) even if you didn't intend it that way. If there are differences in setups it's likely that one will sound better than the other and as long ad you're prepared to live with it that great. I wasn't, so second system made way and I had money reinvested in the main one.

Secondly, when trying to upgrade two systems I'd be looking to buy a superior product to anything else you may have when spending money. Hence if you're to spend money on speakers buy the best speakers you can afford.

Finally, which doesn't go against anything I've said and is more to the point. I'd go with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (any iteration). You will not sacrifice any detail and the overall jump should be significant. They are front ported so should work on brackets. Bronze 2 open box go for circa £220. If you would go second hand for older generation e.g. BX2 (1 generation old) They're between £100-170 even less if you're lucky. The even older B2 would be sub £100 and imho still outperform QAcoustics. I had a pair of B2 a whole back and BX5 and enjoyed them both. Remember the speakers if cared for should last for a long time.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Your positioning is not good as you know.a larger Speaker will help with your problem but never solve it.i might even say try a new amp as sometimes this can give you bigger sound
Thanks, limited options so amp is out of the equation, no doubt good advice though

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
muljao said:
plastic penguin said:
muljao said:

Simply put I have to make sacrifices due it is situated in the living room half of my kitchen, on brackets 6 feet up. [/b]Also the room is quite large (7m x 4.5m approx-not huge but I am thinking to large for the 3020,especially when not ideally positioned).The secondary speakers will never sound a s good as my set up on stands on my main system but at the moment the secondary one is the one I use most due family entertainment requirements in the main room.

Problem is with your positioning limitations I'm not sure that a traditional speaker will give you the required sound quality.

I would guess, given their position, that you are only getting about 75-80% of the full SQ. If you're willing to spend up to 2k on speakers, chances are you will [again] only get around 75-80% SQ of the new speakers. If you can live with that compromise then go with it.

If you like Q Acoustics - I do - I would have a home dem of the Concept 20s. Still small but should give you a more rounded sound.

Might also be worth looking at a Marantz Pearl Lite.

Thanks

I think an extra zero got added on budget somewhere along the line :)

I know my dilemma is not ideal and I am making excuses for not taking the advice I asked for, its basically a corner in a big room with small shelving and small speakers up to high. Sounds nice but bit thin due size of room, but the only thing I could change in the name of domestic bliss is the speakers, but if that is a waste of money I'll refrain

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
The above concerns are valid. At the very same time this is how you're able to use them so I'll try and help in my own way.

I'd say that it may just be that the main system is the one you listen to most :) even if you didn't intend it that way. If there are differences in setups it's likely that one will sound better than the other and as long ad you're prepared to live with it that great. I wasn't, so second system made way and I had money reinvested in the main one.

Secondly, when trying to upgrade two systems I'd be looking to buy a superior product to anything else you may have when spending money. Hence if you're to spend money on speakers buy the best speakers you can afford.

Finally, which doesn't go against anything I've said and is more to the point. I'd go with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (any iteration). You will not sacrifice any detail and the overall jump should be significant. They are front ported so should work on brackets. Bronze 2 open box go for circa £220. If you would go second hand for older generation e.g. BX2 (1 generation old) They're between £100-170 even less if you're lucky. The even older B2 would be sub £100 and imho still outperform QAcoustics. I had a pair of B2 a whole back and BX5 and enjoyed them both. Remember the speakers if cared for should last for a long time.

Thanks insider9. The Bronze were also in mind. I know I won't get the best out of whatever I buy due positioning,but it might just push my kitchen system to the point that I enjoy it as much as the main one. Or I could build a man cave ;)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:

I came across a 3 months old set of bronze 2s today for 200 euro, approx 170 pounds so bought them.

I know throwing money at speakers won't fully solve problems, so I got a much more solid set of speaker brackets, and I'll try and drop them down a foot in height. That's as good as I'll get in my kitchen without a divorce

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Well after a bit of swapping around and a flirtation with actives i finally sold the monitor audio a100 and teamed the marantz with set of monitor audio bronze 2 in my second system.

I also moved the brackets down a foot or so and replaced them with well reviewed solid speaker brackets.

The monitor audio/ marantz setup fills the room exactly as i wanted. I have now bought a second marantz for my primary setup with the Q acoustics 2020i.

From my experience the Q acoustics and monitor audio bronze are lovely speakers, but if your room is a little bigger the MA definitely have the performance advantage

insider9

thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts