When are the AVI ADM40s coming and how much will they be ?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
J

jcbrum

If it's any help, I seem to remember that AVI used Wolfson DACs a while ago. Wolfson brought out a revised version which could use a 3 volt supply rather than 5 volt supply to reduce power consumption in mobile uses. Whilst they maintained that the new chip would accept 5 volt power, it ran a bit hot at 5v on 24/192.

I think AVI revised their DAC to take account of the changes in power supply voltage requirement.

It was all quite a while ago though, and didn't seem to affect the sound quality (iirc).

JC

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Do any of the ADM40 owners have more pictures they can post???? Or have further comments about the sound???

It would be really nice to get this thread back on topic.

Also, how do you all find the remote for the 40s? Is it responsive??? In the WHF review of the 9.1s they thought the remote was cheap and nasty (or something like that). So I'm hoping the 40 remote is a lot better.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Feel free to suggest some neutral ground.
Lol, no, please carry on without me, I know these AVI threads are so very important to you, you're needed to make them friendlier, right :)

T

the record spot

Back on topic? When there's the usual slew of comments about how properly designed and implemented DACs are the be all and end all? Or that thread that got locked about "are Naim worth it" or somesuch claptrap.

You might as well start up a sticky around other such "pointless" purchases: Breitling watches, top of the range Jaguar cars, Maseratis, expensive clothes. Don't forget Waitrose too. There's always Aldii...

J

jcbrum

I didn't like the 'One for All' design of remote control, which AVI used some time ago, but it was low cost and readily replaceable.

The revised, specially designed and manufactured, unit that was introduced with the Neutron five system, is very good and is now supplied as standard with all AVI equipment.

It costs about £40, and is available as a spare part, so it doesn't hurt to buy two to start with, in case one gets lost, or chewed by the dog.

It uses standard codes, so actually, you can use a third party remote if you wish.

JC

Remote_Control.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
Also, how do you all find the remote for the 40s? Is it responsive??? In the WHF review of the 9.1s they thought the remote was cheap and nasty (or something like that). So I'm hoping the 40 remote is a lot better.

[Jeremy Clarkson's voice] "...it'll be the best remote in the world".

I liked my old Naim remote. It had dampened buttons and a wobbly battery holder to ensure that no airborne vibration got to the PCB.

There were also the optional Hi-BAT and SuperBAT external battery pack upgrade paths (and TeddyBAT of course).

It hummed a bit, but the dealer said that was normal. It also got all the instructions mixed up for a few weeks but the dealer re-assured me this was normal too. After a few weeks it was getting all of the commands correct. It was amazing.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
steve_1979 said:
However, all well designed, properly implimented DAC's and pre-amps (such as the ones used in the ADM's) have such low levels of distortion and colouration which makes them so similar that as far as anyone can hear, they do sound identical. A good example of this is the cheap Logitech SB Touch which sounds identical to the very expensive Benchmark DAC1 even when compared using £10,000 worth of ATC speakers.

See posts 12 and 13 here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-dream-system-oh-maybe-one-day?page=14

And of course, the new DAC that went into the ADM9.1T which superseded the ADM9.1 turned out to have an audible difference too Steve. One of the things Ash quoted a year or two back. Slight, but noticeable. And am improvement if memory serves.

Actually, what is a well designed and properly implemented DAC anyway? Well designed from scratch and apropos of nothing, or well designed and implemented for the application they end up going into? I understood that a good DAC chip is under £1 and a class leading one a little more.

Exactly my point record spot.. It' getting right on my nerves that phrase"properly designed and implemented..." Show me modern badly implemented equipment and show me why. Please.

chebby said:
Ajani said:

[Jeremy Clarkson's voice] "...it'll be the best remote in the world".

I liked my old Naim remote. It had dampened buttons and a wobbly battery holder to ensure that no airborne vibration got to the PCB.

There were also the optional Hi-BAT and SuperBAT external battery pack upgrade paths (and TeddyBAT of course).

It hummed a bit, but the dealer said that was normal. It also got all the instructions mixed up for a few weeks but the dealer re-assured me this was normal too. After a few weeks it was getting all of the commands correct. It was amazing.

That's not correct. It should be: "... it'll be the best remote... (5 second pause)... in the world." ;)

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Back on topic? When there's the usual slew of comments about how properly designed and implemented DACs are the be all and end all? Or that thread that got locked about "are Naim worth it" or somesuch claptrap.

You might as well start up a sticky around other such "pointless" purchases: Breitling watches, top of the range Jaguar cars, Maseratis, expensive clothes. Don't forget Waitrose too. There's always Aldii...
Who said that? And is it not Obvious that David's comments re AVI owners took the thread off topic? Why haven't you pulled him up over that? If it so bothers you.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
ooh.. said:
the record spot said:

Who said that? And is it not Obvious that David's comments re AVI owners took the thread off topic? Why haven't you pulled him up over that? If it so bothers you.

Good grief calm down and stop being so childish.

Im getting right into this forum malarky now. "LETS BE 'AVING YOU....." said in a Delia Smith kind of way.

T

the record spot

ooh.. said:
the record spot said:

Hey Max, how's life. Just checking - was it you that started up a thread about whether Naim products are worth it on here earlier?

Why would you do that? Why pick Naim? Why NAIM specifically? Why not Bryston? Or Pathos, or any number of others? Why Naim? Because it's the brand above all others that gets nailed over in Sunny Haven Farm week in, week out. Your usual approach Max, coupled with your innocent "hey I was just asking" spiel. It's just tiresome. Give it up.

Hey, am I giving out one of my sermons now? Double whammy eh?

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
In fairness, I don't think AVI owners in general, are being referred to in any particular way. It's merely individuals comments that are being jumped on.

You sure?

My point is that some manufacturers, Naim for example, get slagged off on various sections of this forum and AVI's (by AVI advocates) for going to extreme lengths in order to make improvements to their equipment, even if the benefits are minuscule. But AVI do it and it's ok, all for the best, and to be expected. I get that some people will have a dislike for some manufacturers for whatever reason (even if it has been passed onto them by a forum administrator), but to criticise them for things that the criticiser has no experience or understanding of is just wrong and smacks of double standards.

He's slagged of AVI owners and the joint owner of the company, on an AVI thread, again. just so people are clear.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
ooh.. said:
the record spot said:

Hey Max, how's life. Just checking - was it you that started up a thread about whether Naim products are worth it on here earlier?

Why would you do that? Why pick Naim? Why NAIM specifically? Why not Bryston? Or Pathos, or any number of others? Why Naim? Because it's the brand above all others that gets nailed over in Sunny Haven Farm week in, week out. Your usual approach Max, coupled with your innocent "hey I was just asking" spiel. It's just tiresome. Give it up.

Re read the thread, David started accusing AVI owners of slagging off Naim, he was the first person to mention Naim on this thread, along with unfounded accusations, and I started the other thread so we could discuss what he started, there. And now he has done what he set out to do, spoil another AVI thread.

You're not really paying much attention, are you? Wake up and see what's going on here.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
the record spot said:
ooh.. said:
the record spot said:

Re read the thread, David started accusing AVI owners of slagging off Naim, he was the first person to mention Naim on this thread, along with unfounded accusations, and I started the other thread so we could discuss what he started, there. And now he has done what he set out to do, spoil another AVI thread.

You're not really paying much attention, are you? Wake up and see what's going on here.

Since we'd all rather have this thread locked, here goes:

Are David's claims really unfounded? Are the AVI forums not a hostile place for many brands including Naim? Has Ashley James etc not insulted many brands over there and over here as well (before he was banned from these forums)?

AVI threads tend to get attacked because AVI started and maintained a hostile attitude to other brands. So no point complaining that they are now on the receiving end of attacks.

Best bet is just to ignore and move on with an actual discussion of a particular AVI product and leave the feuding for video games.

T

the record spot

Max - it's this simple: I-don't-care.

But, for reference and maybe a little balance, it's neither here nor there if David, me, or anyone else takes a pop because for a rather long time now and certainly some way before you picked up your nice glossy cherry red AVI speakers, it wasn't exactly unheard of for some of those owners to let rip into people who just happened to have separates. In other words, it cuts both ways.

But I think both forums would be the better without it, and you don't do yourself any favours with your many threads on here.

Like I say, in the end, I don't care, but if you think this has just been one way traffic, you probably need to do some reading up.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:

I mentioned Naim because in the "hi-fi hate" thread, you wasted no time in bringing them up (again) earlier in the evening. It's a common theme among some AVI owners, and this stems from 'the top'. It's not even like they're producing active speakers in competition with AVI - they're not. They're doing their own thing. Instead of slagging them off, why doesn't the company, it's owners, and it's followers let things be - if AVI is so much better, and Naim do produce distorted, over priced garbage, thenthey'll put Naim out of business won't they? Just don't join up on a forum, bring some back up, and start slagging off manufacturers that are not in direct competition with what you support.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Max - it's this simple: I-don't-care.

But, for reference and maybe a little balance, it's neither here nor there if David, me, or anyone else takes a pop because for a rather long time now and certainly some way before you picked up your nice glossy cherry red AVI speakers, it wasn't exactly unheard of for some of those owners to let rip into people who just happened to have separates. In other words, it cuts both ways.

But I think both forums would be the better without it, and you don't do yourself any favours with your many threads on here.

Like I say, in the end, I don't care, but if you think this has just been one way traffic, you probably need to do some reading up.
What "many threads"?

T

the record spot

...and with that everyone, it's night-night from me. I think I can go to bed now, safe in the knowledge that we all know how to use search functions...

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ooh.. said:

I mentioned Naim because in the "hi-fi hate" thread, you wasted no time in bringing them up (again) earlier in the evening. It's a common theme among some AVI owners, and this stems from 'the top'. It's not even like they're producing active speakers in competition with AVI - they're not. They're doing their own thing. Instead of slagging them off, why doesn't the company, it's owners, and it's followers let things be - if AVI is so much better, and Naim do produce distorted, over priced garbage, thenthey'll put Naim out of business won't they? Just don't join up on a forum, bring some back up, and start slagging off manufacturers that are not in direct competition with what you support.
I wasn't the only one to mention Naim, was I? I mentioned QED and Chord too, so what? What's it got to do with you? You assume too much. I have battled against ripoff products on here for over three years as you know, many times against you, long before I joined HDD Forum, I don't like people being fooled into wasting their money by so called "helpful people".

Naims products are ridiculously overpriced, IMO, and in the opinion of many people that have never even heard of HDD Forum, why is that? Who brainwashed them? A company that sells very expensive amps, and provides an "upgrade path" for their beloved customers, by way of £2k mains leads, and you don't want anybody slagging them off? You'll be lucky, I'll say that.

The fact is, David, you are constantly spoiling AVI threads, why is that? Do AVI owners deserve that? Yet you get a thread dedicated to your KEFs that comes with a prerequisate not to mention active speakers, does your involvement in all AVI threads seem fair in light of that? What will it take for you to mind your own business?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
I wasn't the only one to mention Naim, was I? I mentioned QED and Chord too, so what? What's it got to do with you? You assume too much. I have battled against ripoff products on here for over three years as you know, many times against you, long before I joined HDD Forum, I don't like people being fooled into wasting their money by so called "helpful people".

People who buy a Naim amplifier or Naim streamer aren't "fooled" into buying anything. They choose to buy them after a demonstration, usually against one or more alternative manufacturers. If some people can't handle Naim being popular because people like it and buy it, That's their problem, but there's no need to slag them off for it.

Naim products are ridiculously overpriced, IMO, and in the opinion of many people that have never even heard of HDD Forum, why is that? Who brainwashed them? A company that sells very expensive amps, and provides an "upgrade path" for their beloved customers, by way of £2k mains leads, and you don't want anybody slagging them off? You'll be lucky, I'll say that.

Exactly. In your opinion. No doubt there's many others out there who don't feel that Naim is good value for money, but they don't go out of their way to hammer their opinion home at every possible opportunity. They live and let live and get on with their lives.

And what £2k mains lead? Maybe I've missed an email (I have been rather busy recently), but there's only the supplied mains leads and the PowerLine at £400.

The fact is, David, you are constantly spoiling AVI threads, why is that? Do AVI owners deserve that? Yet you get a thread dedicated to your KEFs that comes with a prerequisate not to mention active speakers, does your involvement in all AVI threads seem fair in light of that? What will it take for you to mind your own business?

Aah, this is where you turn things around on whoever you're arguing against and act all innocent. JD started the thread because you spoilt the original one with your active campaign. There's been a big thing about accuracy on this forum since you turned up again, and you'd think that a new product designed with that very ideal in mind would be welcomed, but no! It's slagged off because it's not active. It's slagged off because KEF mentioned LS3/5a in the description. Its slagged off because its £200 more than the R100's (showing complete ignorance of the product and it's ideals)! It seems that unless a new product has less than 0.0000001% distortion or isn't active, it's a big pile of poo. I'm getting tired of it.

What will it take for me to mind my own business? Well, when you stop launching OTT campaigns to discredit established companies that offer an upgrade path (that goes for Naim and Cyrus) that can be chosen IF the user wants to (and not forced into) that'll be a start.

A

Anonymous

I never said people were fooled into buying Naim products, and I don't ever recall slagging off Naim on here, not once, show me just one example from any other day bar today (which wasn't even slagging, I aired my views on a thread that asked for them)? You're making things up, David.

And the thread you said I spoilt, that was not your thread, believe it or not it had nothing to do with you whatsoever, I and others recommended active studio monitors to the OP, Clare backed up my suggestion, and he demoed some, and liked them, and bought them, just like your Naim customers do, was that OK with you or were you just annoyed he didn't buy the Kefs that you sell?

You brought up Naim this evening, David, you, not me. And you keep getting involved in AVI threads, to spoil them, and everybody can see that.

But I'll give you your due, you sucked me in big time tonight, you laid the trap and I snared myself, but you haven't managed to hide your motives, David, this argument has nothing to do with anybody's views of Naim, it's all about and has eminated from your dislike of AVI and their owners.

And as for this statement

Well, when you stop launching OTT campaigns to discredit established companies that offer an upgrade path (that goes for Naim and Cyrus) that can be chosen IF the user wants to (and not forced into) that'll be a start.

Absolute nonsense, I have never started such a campaign, show me one of them? . Are you trying to get me banned with your lies? Because it looks that way from where I'm standing. Very classy.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts