When 3D TVs come around, just how much 3D TV will there be to watch?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I mean, outside of payper view movies and sports channels, the amount of HDTV isn't exactly overwhelming, is it? And that's been around for nearly five years now?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sky EPG currently lists 35 HD channels, plus two PPV offerings. Of course not all those channels are HD all the time, but channels there certainly are...

A

Anonymous

andrew , what material are the team using to test the samsung 3dtv you have there at the moment ??

A

Anonymous

ta , yes i was wondering , as there is nothing 3d you can buy right now afaik , im guessing there will be a range of 3d material available in shops once the 3d tvs start rolling out ...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Sky EPG currently lists 35 HD channels, plus two PPV offerings. Of course not all those channels are HD all the time, but channels there certainly are...

Over 20 of those channels are premium channels you have to pay extra for over and above the basic (ahem) Sky HD package. Just saying.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Darren Heal:Over 20 of those channels are premium channels you have to pay extra for over and above the basic (ahem) Sky HD package. Just saying.

Indeed, but not pay per view channels as mentioned in the original post.

A

Anonymous

whatever about hd , what 3d content are people going to watch on their shiny new 3d tvs in a few weeks ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, Sky's already demonstrated that it can cover live events and transmit them live in 3D, but yes, there's going to be precious little content available from the start...

A

Anonymous

lol , they invest billions on the 3d format , and dont even bother to have sorted a few blu-rays for people to watch on them , cart before the horse ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but then with the exception of Sony, the big consumer electronics companies are in the business of selling hardware, and rely on others to supply the software.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:dont think there will be to many people buy an hd box and have the hd package and not subcribe to most chanels.

Me for starters. I just have the basic HD package, and I frequently wonder I bother even with that.

I, for one will not pay for a pay per view movie or subscribe to an overpriced movie channel to watch the one new movie per month I might actually want to see. Far better IMHO to wait and buy the DVD, then I can watch it over and over again, or even trade it with a friend or whatever.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Well, Sky's already demonstrated that it can cover live events and transmit them live in 3D, but yes, there's going to be precious little content available from the start...

So for now just sports events, payable on premium channels (monthly or PPV it makes little difference), no doubt.

A

Anonymous

But with the 3D TV pricing being almost identical to decent HD TV's if your in the market for a new TV why not get the 3D ready one if the HD performance is just as good?

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Darren Heal:I mean, outside of payper view movies and sports channels, the amount of HDTV isn't exactly overwhelming, is it? And that's been around for nearly five years now?

lol very true, but remember in the dark days of Flatscreen TVs anno 2001, TVs were HD ready but there was No Bluray, HDdvd, Sky HD, so it takes awhile for the content to catch up with the hardware

A

Anonymous

also once 3d starts to become more common would that mean that since im guessing 3d will take up more bandwidth than hd it would mean that the picture quality would have to be reduced just to accommodate the channels? or will it be around about the same size to broadcast

A

Anonymous

Will the new 3D BD's be the same as the current 3D BD's like Coraline and Polar Express?

A

Anonymous

And will I have to wear mutli-coloured specs just to watch TV?

A

Anonymous

Some 3D TVs will have real time 2D to 3D conversion, so you will have the option to watch everything in 3D. How good this 3D conversion is compared to professionally mastered 3D or watching it in 2D, is something I hope future reviews will tackle.
If 3D is very successful studios may also do 2D to 3D remastering so you can buy movies all over again. If this will be successful or flop like colorization of black and white moves remains to be seen. I would expect to see lots of sports events and video games using 3D.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Darren Heal:And will I have to wear mutli-coloured specs just to watch TV?

No: all the 3D-capable sets will also show standard TV perfectly well, and the new glasses for 3D don't use coloured filters, but rather polarising lenses or active shutters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts