Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mrG

Jun 4, 2023
Visit site
Having had my vinyl collection stolen 18 months ago, I'm thinking of going all digital with a streamer. I could build a cheap streaming and storage device from a Raspberry Pi, CD drive and 2TB hard drive, but was hoping I could purchase a neater audiophile solution.
Looked at Brennan and Bluesound Vault, but in WhatHi-Fi's recent review of strea.ers, neither was mentioned.
I was hoping you could soon do a review of a devices that rip store and steam music.

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
I was hoping you could soon do a review of a devices that rip store and steam music.
Other magazines have been known to cover those type of devices.
But most of us here have ripped CDs to HDD using PCs and the likes of EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

I use a Raspberry Pi, but if I was starting out now I'd be looking at a Wiim Mini with an S.M.S.L. SU1 DAC, total price £156 - which will be at least as good as many (much) higher priced alternatives.
If you've already got a DAC (or you just use the one in the Mini) then your streamer cost is down to £76.
(The SU1 requires a 5v USBC PSU when it's not being powered by a USB source).

...sorry about the theft of your vinyl collection.
I would say how I'd punish those responsible....but it would only attract a complaint from one of those do-gooder, human rights types.

Last edited:

Santa 🧑🎄

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Just records for me.

I've got my bundle of kit that I'm very happy with and that performs brilliantly in my room. I'd have to spend large to significantly better what I already have and am very content with it all. It sounds great and when you listen to music, you forget about the kit and just smile.

Nearly home from hols, then going to recline and put on a record, or few, and relax.

doifeellucky

Other magazines have been known to cover those type of devices.
But most of us here have ripped CDs to HDD using PCs and the likes of EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

I use a Raspberry Pi, but if I was starting out now I'd be looking at a Wiim Mini with an S.M.S.L. SU1 DAC, total price £156 - which will be at least as good as many (much) higher priced alternatives.
If you've already got a DAC (or you just use the one in the Mini) then your streamer cost is down to £76.
(The SU1 requires a 5v USBC PSU when it's not being powered by a USB source).

...sorry about the theft of your vinyl collection.
I would say how I'd punish those responsible....but it would only attract a complaint from one of those do-gooder, human rights types.
In my WFM setup I have the Mini and SU-1 connected to a Sabaj A10a (previous version) amp and some PSB Alpha P5 speakers (£250 from Sevenoaks). Total cost just over £500. I’ve compared against my old Audiolab 8000a and Mojo 2 and in my room there is no difference. Better speakers might tell another story. But as a second system I can’t fault it.

At some point I’d like to try the Neat Petite Classics and Dali Menuet SE amongst others, with something like the Rega Elex Mk 4 and Exposure 3510. Hopefully something like that would see me into retirement and beyond.

Reactions: Hugh Jarse

Gray

At some point I’d like to try the Neat Petite Classics.....
A couple of us here had a good listen to those last week out of a Cyrus XR-i7 amp (I'd first heard them from a Naim all-in-one at a dealer's listening room).

A home loan is absolutely essential for you to judge their performance.
Also, contrary to the usual advice, just try listening with your ears at the level of the mid / bass driver as opposed to tweeter level.
You may well notice a fairly significant change to the tonal balance - in which case optimum stand (or seating) height will depend on your preference.

Last edited:
A couple of us here had a good listen to those last week out of a Cyrus XR-i7 amp (I'd first heard them from a Naim all-in-one at a dealer's listening room).

Also, contrary to the usual advice, just try listening with your ears at the level of the mid / bass driver as opposed to tweeter level.
You may well notice a fairly significant change to the tonal balance - in which case optimum stand (or seating) height will depend on your preference.
Having demoed Neat Iota Alpha and SX2 last year, they were fun and very engaging - a price hike last year, however, takes them beyond most pockets.

As a big Dali fan, the Menuets are worth a demo

Reactions: Gray
In my WFM setup I have the Mini and SU-1 connected to a Sabaj A10a (previous version) amp and some PSB Alpha P5 speakers (£250 from Sevenoaks). Total cost just over £500. I’ve compared against my old Audiolab 8000a and Mojo 2 and in my room there is no difference. Better speakers might tell another story. But as a second system I can’t fault it.

At some point I’d like to try the Neat Petite Classics and Dali Menuet SE amongst others, with something like the Rega Elex Mk 4 and Exposure 3510. Hopefully something like that would see me into retirement and beyond.
If you are marking down the Exposure 3510, try and demo Yamaha AS 1200. Apparently, unlike older midrange Yams these have a more open soundstage.

Reactions: doifeellucky

doifeellucky

Thanks for the feedback. A review I saw specifically mentioned increasing the height of the speaker stand to 70cm to get the tweeter at ear level.

They’ve had very positive reviews. What did you think?

WayneKerr

Thanks for the feedback. A review I saw specifically mentioned increasing the height of the speaker stand to 70cm to get the tweeter at ear level.

I was the other party involved in the listening session so I'll chip-in too. Tweeter needs to be above ear level and a home demo is essential. In Gray's room his current PMC's beat the Neat's in almost every department. I'm sure Gray will be back to with more info as I only heard them for a few hours, he had them for three days.

doifeellucky

I was the other party involved in the listening session so I'll chip-in too. Tweeter needs to be above ear level and a home demo is essential. In Gray's room his current PMC's beat the Neat's in almost every department. I'm sure Gray will be back to with more info as I only heard them for a few hours, he had them for three days.
Thanks for the feedback.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Until very recently. My next purchase was to be another streamer. Specifically the Cambridge Audio CXN.

I then purchased a Technics SA-C600 for the bedroom (nice little system)
Connecting my PC to the unit via USB (The C600 does not have Qobuz).
It suddenly dawned on me that thought my streamer (Pioneer N50A) only has Spotify. I didn't need another streamer. The DAC in my CD player (Yamaha S2100) is very good and it has a PC USB input
Therefore I can access any online service and send it straight to my CD player.
Problem solved at the cost of a 5M USB lead. (No.... I didn't purchase one them there audiophile USB lead) :)

Gray

You're right, they've had the best possible reviews.
You must've seen the one where he stooped to retrieve something from the floor and, by accident, discovered an improvement - hence that recommendation for tall stands.

Like us, you're probably keen to hear what earned them a 10/10 review.
With both small and large ports unbunged, the bass was very prominent - and is what makes home trial essential.

Far enough away from a front wall and corners and with mid / bass at ear height, I can see how they could be the perfect speakers for some.

That AMT tweeter is detailed without excess brightness.
But I did miss the midrange openness that I get from my little PMCs .
However, @skinnypuppy71 owned the same PMC twenty.21 as me....he bought and prefers the Neats. As we always say, more than anything else, speakers are all about personal taste 👍

At £2,000 in only black or white without grilles, they needed to sound very special.
We've learned to take reviews with a pinch of salt, but I must admit they'd led me to expect better than I heard.

Unbelievably, as a stupid kid, I actually bought more than one pair of speakers without any prior listening 😱.....but that's unthinkable now (even though I'm still stupid).

doifeellucky

You must've seen the one where he stooped to retrieve something from the floor and, by accident, discovered an improvement - hence that recommendation for tall stands.

With both small and large ports unbunged, the bass was very prominent - and is what makes home trial essential.

Far enough away from a front wall and corners and with mid / bass at ear height, I can see how they could be the perfect speakers for some.

However, @skinnypuppy71 owned the same PMC twenty.21 as me....he bought and prefers the Neats. As we always say, more than anything else, speakers are all about personal taste 👍

At £2,000 in only black or white without grilles, they needed to sound very special.
We've learned to take reviews with a pinch of salt, but I must admit they'd led me to expect better than I heard.

Unbelievably, as a stupid kid, I actually bought more than one pair of speakers without any prior listening 😱.....but that's unthinkable now (even though I'm still stupid).
Great insight, much appreciated. Thanks Gray.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site

I still miss the openness of my 21's, without a doubt and I'm very fond of that transmission line bass( the pmc's just didn't quite have enough) , I'd have another set in a heart beat if they were a stupidly low price.lol. The neats do dig deeper and now I've put a good amount of running in time, they have opened up, They do sound very nice atm on the end of the primula. However if I wash looking to save some cash, The pmc twenty 21's would be up there or maybe the twenty 22's would be a good shout..I'm sure these must be at a decent used price these days.

doifeellucky

I still miss the openness of my 21's, without a doubt and I'm very fond of that transmission line bass( the pmc's just didn't quite have enough) , I'd have another set in a heart beat if they were a stupidly low price.lol. The neats do dig deeper and now I've put a good amount of running in time, they have opened up, They do sound very nice atm on the end of the primula. However if I wash looking to save some cash, The pmc twenty 21's would be up there or maybe the twenty 22's would be a good shout..I'm sure these must be at a decent used price these days.
Thanks for the feedback. My room is less than ideal, a 45 degree chimney breast just to the left of the left speaker, and the right is tight to the wall on the right, which opens into a box window. As mentioned a home audition would definitely be required.

Having had my vinyl collection stolen 18 months ago, I'm thinking of going all digital with a streamer. I could build a cheap streaming and storage device from a Raspberry Pi, CD drive and 2TB hard drive, but was hoping I could purchase a neater audiophile solution.
Looked at Brennan and Bluesound Vault, but in WhatHi-Fi's recent review of strea.ers, neither was mentioned.
Have you got a lot of CDs to rip? You could simply play them on a CD player, especially as you might like something physical having been deprived of your LPs. Commiserations on the theft.

Early Brennans compressed CD to something like mp3 standard, so be sure what processing it applies now. To me, they are like music centres or mid systems - not really Hi-Fi standards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts