Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
In a pure Oscar Wilde moment of ''I can resist everything except temptation'', I finally took the plunge. Spending £5,000 on an amp I've never even heard may seem like madness, but I guess I can always sell it on if I don't like it. I traded in my old Naim to lower the blow. In fact, I could sell it on brand new and make a nice profit. But that would upset Oscar Wilde. It doesn't arrive until Tuesday, so we'll see. Decisions, decisions???
5k?? And I thought I was bad! 😅
I'm really curious what did you get?

jjbomber

5k?? And I thought I was bad! 😅
I'm really curious what did you get?
McIntosh MA275. Valves glowing a lovely shade of green against the blue screen. Just added a HiFi Rose RS520 to act as the streamer, so that's another £3,000. Had that screen on the VU meters in luminous yellow. Between them both, there's no need to switch on the heating and lighting.

I am head over heels in love with music again.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
McIntosh MA275. Valves glowing a lovely shade of green against the blue screen. Just added a HiFi Rose RS520 to act as the streamer, so that's another £3,000. Had that screen on the VU meters in luminous yellow. Between them both, there's no need to switch on the heating and lighting.

I am head over heels in love with music again.
Wow awesome, good for you! Your setup will be a hard act to follow. 😉👍

FrostMan

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Wharfedale Evo 4.4 floorstanders or the 4.2 and stands still can't quite decide. I need bi wired speakers now I've added another Cambridge Poweramp to my system to properly biamp it

MerseyMal

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
Probably a phono stage.

Unless I decide to replace my Technics SU-A900MK2 amplifier with something that has a better one built-in.

Upgrade my Ortofon 2M Red to Blue as well.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Purchased a Pro-ject isolation platform. Mainly for the turntable, but I want to test it on my cd player - been using it a lot more recently & struggles to read some discs. It's probably the discs themselves, but it's sat on the floor right now so really can't be a bad idea to try and give it a better surface to run on.

Ground-it-E_05-1.jpg

Dom

My monitor arrived today and since talking to eBay, said it should be opened now before the eBay money back guarantee ends.

First impressions are good, very bright and buttery smooth and crystal clear.
My music sounds better through the Hi fi.
So i'm chuffed.

I might go for a walk in a bit and enjoy the cool air.
The Samsung G7 monitor can be used as a USB hub once you have connected the PC to the USB 3 type B port.

Now, I can have the Creative G6 USB DAC plugged into the monitor's USB 3 port for vastly improved sonic performance.

What a monitor. 😮

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The Samsung G7 monitor can be used as a USB hub once you have connected the PC to the USB 3 type B port.

Now, I can have the Creative G6 USB DAC plugged into the monitor's USB 3 port for vastly improved sonic performance.

What a monitor. 😮
I haven't done that, I was wondering what the USB B port is for, thanks Dom, I got another expansion hub option 😊👍

Reactions: Dom

yanbergstrom

Aug 28, 2023
Visit site
My next purchase will be in 3-5 years time, when I will have saved enough for a Linn Majik 109 system. Until I'm in that position I'm staying put and squeezing as much value as possible from my current system.
Exactly. Linn's products are great, especially the Majik 109 and 360. I'm a huge fan too.

Unfortunately, I just can't swing dropping thousands on audio gear right now :expressionless:

Reactions: matthewpianist

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Bought a used Cambridge Audio CXC V2.

My entry level NAD cd player was good but a little bright. This was a risky experiment, but it’s paid off nicely. Fuller sound all round from the cd transport with no extra harshness. Happy camper 😊

Gray

Bought a used Cambridge Audio CXC V2.

My entry level NAD cd player was good but a little bright. This was a risky experiment, but it’s paid off nicely. Fuller sound all round from the cd transport with no extra harshness. Happy camper 😊
But isn't that more about whatever DAC is following your CXC Revo?
Don't you think it's predominantly that that you're comparing with your Nad player?

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
But isn't that more about whatever DAC is following your CXC Revo?
Don't you think it's predominantly that that you're comparing with your Nad player?
Ah yes, didn't think about that - both connected to my amp via coax, so in theory there shouldn't be any difference.

Quelle surprise that a newer, more expensive purchase sounds improved to me :nomouth:

Reactions: Gray

AJM1981

I came across a collector sorting out his collection and offering a Pioneer SA5500 II in great condition for reasonable price . Which, yes.. is an attractive amp that could replace my current lighter Pioneer SA5300 for a second setup in the main bedroom. But I seriously wonder if it makes any sense as the 5300 is a lighter amp, but totally has no trouble pulling my setup to reasonable (non ear-drum destructive) loud volumes without any distortion. Also I don't expect a sound signature difference by any means.

So a bigger piece of silverware, which has probably a bit of a higher market value..maybe / maybe not. What would another hifi geek do? ;D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I came across a collector sorting out his collection and offering a Pioneer SA5500 II in great condition for reasonable price . Which, yes.. is an attractive amp that could replace my current lighter Pioneer SA5300 for a second setup in the main bedroom. But I seriously wonder if it makes any sense as the 5300 is a lighter amp, but totally has no trouble pulling my setup to reasonable (non ear-drum destructive) loud volumes without any distortion. Also I don't expect a sound signature difference by any means.

So a bigger piece of silverware, which has probably a bit of a higher market value..maybe / maybe not. What would another hifi geek do? ;D
Good thing about having a second or third or even a fourth set up (in my case). You get to keep the old gear! 🤣

Reactions: AJM1981

Oxfordian

My next purchase will be in 3-5 years time, when I will have saved enough for a Linn Majik 109 system. Until I'm in that position I'm staying put and squeezing as much value as possible from my current system.
I'm a bit late picking up on your post, if you don't mind what's your thinking behind the Majik system, as it interest me as well as a central base unit for my HiFi set-up.

At the end of the week i'm meeting up with my local HiFi store for an introductory chat and a listen of some Linn/Naim and ATC gear, Majik is one of the items I want to discuss, as will be the Naim equivalents.

matthewpianist

I'm a bit late picking up on your post, if you don't mind what's your thinking behind the Majik system, as it interest me as well as a central base unit for my HiFi set-up.

At the end of the week i'm meeting up with my local HiFi store for an introductory chat and a listen of some Linn/Naim and ATC gear, Majik is one of the items I want to discuss, as will be the Naim equivalents.
Every time I've heard Linn kit, it has impressed me with its natural, musical sound, and the Magik 109 system offers that in a relatively affordable and compact package. I'm done with big, complex set-ups now and I can see my current set-up keeping me happy for several years. When I am in a position to do anything else, I want it to be an even longer term solution that offers top quality sound, convenience and value for money. The Linn kit isn't cheap, but it is well designed and well engineered, and ticks the boxes nicely.

The one alternative I would consider is the NAD M10 v2 with GoldenEar BRXs, but I suspect reliability would be better with Linn.

At present, I am very happy with what I have, so we're talking a long way into the future.

Oxfordian

Every time I've heard Linn kit, it has impressed me with its natural, musical sound, and the Magik 109 system offers that in a relatively affordable and compact package. I'm done with big, complex set-ups now and I can see my current set-up keeping me happy for several years. When I am in a position to do anything else, I want it to be an even longer term solution that offers top quality sound, convenience and value for money. The Linn kit isn't cheap, but it is well designed and well engineered, and ticks the boxes nicely.

The one alternative I would consider is the NAD M10 v2 with GoldenEar BRXs, but I suspect reliability would be better with Linn.

At present, I am very happy with what I have, so we're talking a long way into the future.
Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I have mentioned on a few threads I am looking at changing my system this year, a new TT quite possibly a LP12 is on the cards. If I did go this route that got me thinking on whether the next step would be to go the whole hog and get the Majik 109, I will still have a stack of CD's to play so have to factor that in, I guess I can look at ripping them to a hard drive in some way shape or form at some point.

I just like the idea of getting rid of a few boxes, vinyl has to stay as I enjoy it so much but Linn advertise the LP12 as very much part of the Majik system it is just working out my CD collection but maybe I can use my CDT until it packs up and work on a long term solution in the meantime.

There is the new Naim Uniti Nova PE to consider although this is considerably more expensive and comes without speakers.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Revolutions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts