Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

Very tempted to go for a McIntosh MA252. Their generous trade in programme finishes at the end of the month. I have no real need for it, but it's an itch that I just have to scratch. Got three more weeks to decide.
In a pure Oscar Wilde moment of ''I can resist everything except temptation'', I finally took the plunge. Spending £5,000 on an amp I've never even heard may seem like madness, but I guess I can always sell it on if I don't like it. I traded in my old Naim to lower the blow. In fact, I could sell it on brand new and make a nice profit. But that would upset Oscar Wilde. It doesn't arrive until Tuesday, so we'll see. Decisions, decisions???

WayneKerr

In a pure Oscar Wilde moment of ''I can resist everything except temptation'', I finally took the plunge. Spending £5,000 on an amp I've never even heard may seem like madness, but I guess I can always sell it on if I don't like it. I traded in my old Naim to lower the blow. In fact, I could sell it on brand new and make a nice profit. But that would upset Oscar Wilde. It doesn't arrive until Tuesday, so we'll see. Decisions, decisions???
Nice one (y) But you have failed to tell us what amp, or is it a secret? :)

I'm certainly partial to madness, I do it all the time.

matthewpianist

I've become interested in conducting an experiment, replicating one of the systems I had years and years ago, buying secondhand and seeing how it compares with my current set-up. I haven't decided which system yet because it will depend on availability, but it will be one of the budget combinations I've had and enjoyed. Should be a fairly cheap play...

Gray

I've become interested in conducting an experiment, replicating one of the systems I had years and years ago, buying secondhand and seeing how it compares with my current set-up. I haven't decided which system yet because it will depend on availability, but it will be one of the budget combinations I've had and enjoyed. Should be a fairly cheap play...
There must be a helpline number for you.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
A goldring e2 cartridge after finding a really good deal for my system deck iix.
Decided to get something more reasonable as it's only for occasional use with classical records.
The e3 is 42 £ more but after reading the reviews there's little difference and only on the shape of the needle itself.
I'm also getting a new belt and digital scales to weight it properly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202-112745.png
    Screenshot_20231202-112745.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20231202-112538.png
    Screenshot_20231202-112538.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 3

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Hana ML cartridge in new year. Currently I have a Hana SL and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have heavily upgraded my TT front end this year - Technics 1210GR TT, pimped Jolida JD9 phono stage running Raytheon 5755 valves, Hana SL cart, and Funk Achromat. I've realised I actually now spin records as much as I stream. So thinking I might treat myself to the Hana top of the line cart soon.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
stylus upgrade
Not an upgrade as such there's a decent one on I was going to replace but after finding the goldring e2 for 30 £ couldn't turn it away.
I've supposedly upgraded the amp to an acram sa30 lately after having two faulty roskan k3s but I lie to myself its better than the pioneer a400 it replaced (which I still use) with mission mx3s.

The exhaustive connectivity of the acram is a plus and power is far beyond most amps, the roskan at a rated 140w is no where near the output of the acram which matches my listening habits.
I still use a separate streamer though as I've always liked the ifizen blue air for Bluetooth

Also I upgraded the speakers from mission 763i to q acoustics 3050i which are as reviewed and very capable speakers.

I've also got myself a Yamaha rs202d for my second set after being surprised at the quality at the price which I got for 229 £ in a sale although the inbuilt Bluetooth receiver needs sidestepping and it's 100w claim massively bolstered it's a happy amp and dab, very colourful sound even when pushed.
It proves that budget hifi is obtainable and usually a cheaper option than those all in one things from Currys and Argos etc.
I'm still building my new hifi after getting the acram and speakers I've repaired my old favourite cdp being a Marantz cd 52 mk2 I haven't heard better in its original price range.
I recently auditioned the Marantz pm 6007 and it's not a better sound infact I still prefer the cd 52 so replaced the ejection wheel a common inherint fault with those players.
I decided to get a wharfdale SW 150 subwoofer but it remains switched off as although it being good at what it does the hifi sounds better with the 2 main speakers alone.
I might use it for the occasional movie.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I've supposedly upgraded the amp to an acram sa30

Unless cheap the Arcan 15 or 25 would be better
I'm not a fan of the arcam radia series, there's no direc but the main concern was I auditioned the radia and found nothing better infact I prefer the sa30.
That said the main thing is I found out how good the pioneer a400 of yesteryear really is.
I always liked it but upgraded for the connectivity my reason for looking through various amps like the sa30 that being the best sounding one in the price bracket.
The eisa amp of the yr award pointed me in its direction but the sound sold it to me.
I liked the roskan k3 with classical but two faulty units (new ver without Bluetooth or standby) put me off replacing it with a third.
I must admit I'm not one for gimmicks and prefer a straight from source sounding amp with tone, bass and balance but thought the inclusion of a sub woofer would be to my liking and am not a fan of line level Inputs so the sa30 was the obvious choice.

Last edited:

record_spot

Quite possibly a subwoofer. Tricky bit is I don't want a downward firing one, but one with a side facing driver. I saw the Cambridge Minx 201 today, but it looks too small and maybe not quite up for my needs. The Richer Sounds guy didn't seem to recommend it too hastily.

The AVI sub still turns up occasionally, but it's really too big - I live in an apartment with a neighbour downstairs (who has a rather loud sounbar and the bass from that bleeds up to my flat) so need to bear him in mind.

So a subwoofer might be on the cards, but that Shanling ET3 looks like a winner too.

Dom

My next purchase is the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 43" 4K 144Hz Mini LED, Smart Gaming Monitor.
Sam monitor.jpg
Specs:
0.02-nit black level Mini LED HDR600 panel
AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
144Hz refresh rate & 1ms response time with 3.9ms input lag

To be opened in Feb 🎂❤️

Reactions: Jasonovich

Dom

My monitor arrived today and since talking to eBay, said it should be opened now before the eBay money back guarantee ends.

First impressions are good, very bright and buttery smooth and crystal clear.
My music sounds better through the Hi fi.
So i'm chuffed.

I might go for a walk in a bit and enjoy the cool air.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts