Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nads

Carpet for a reverberant room.....massive difference that anyone could hear.
New cables.....good luck with that Nads.
Been there done that and there are differences, but in this case we will see. Looking to replace a 14year old supplied turntable to phono amp cable with a new one to match the phono to amp cable.

already noted a difference with a new phono amp……

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Been there done that and there are differences, but in this case we will see. Looking to replace a 14year old supplied turntable to phono amp cable with a new one to match the phono to amp cable.

already noted a difference with a new phono amp……
There are certainly important differences between cables.
You may have seen the poster complaining of hum from his turntable. Swapped an expensive twin RCA between TT and amp......for the freebie type, bootlaced-sized interconnects (the type that people are ashamed of).....hum completely cured.
Those freebies only ever have lapped screen, whereas expensive cables never do.
No way a cheap cable could be better at its job than a really expensive one.....people would (naturally) think.

nads

There are certainly important differences between cables.
You may have seen the poster complaining of hum from his turntable. Swapped an expensive twin RCA between TT and amp......for the freebie type, bootlaced-sized interconnects (the type that people are ashamed of).....hum completely cured.
Those freebies only ever have lapped screen, whereas expensive cables never do.
No way a cheap cable could be better at its job than a really expensive one.....people would (naturally) think.
Having run two identical CDs two two almost identical CDPs I could easily tell which cable was attached to which player. Having had a hum on the turntable and having cured that by just swapping out the 15 year old support rubber band fixed that. And having swapped out the phono stage it is the last part to change in that section. Not including the cartridge.

Having run two identical CDs two two almost identical CDPs I could easily tell which cable was attached to which player. Having had a hum on the turntable and having cured that by just swapping out the 15 year old support rubber band fixed that. And having swapped out the phono stage it is the last part to change in that section. Not including the cartridge.
The cables from a cartridge are probably the most sensitive anywhere that we can influence, given the very low voltage carried, and the massive equalisation the signal gets in the phono stage. Do check the total capacitance that will result because some cartridges can be a bit sensitive to their loading, and that’ll affect the top end frequency response.

Let us know how you get on.

nads

The cables from a cartridge are probably the most sensitive anywhere that we can influence, given the very low voltage carried, and the massive equalisation the signal gets in the phono stage. Do check the total capacitance that will result because some cartridges can be a bit sensitive to their loading, and that’ll affect the top end frequency response.

Let us know how you get on.
Exactly my thoughts. Back when I bought the Turntable Project did not do any upgrade cables. Just the one supplied. They now do 3 i total. An£ I would say that that cable is the weakest link. i will see.

nads

In that instance it was blindingly different.

That's impressive.
Seems like you'd be confidently up for the blind test challenge.
(You could make a lot of money betting against a crowd of non-believers (y)).
But it was a very cheap cable verses One that was 500 times the cost. Anyone could have, I believe, heard the difference.

gasolin

It's not the most expensive amp but has the power i wanted, it actually sounds relly good, although it's a cheap amp

Now im 100% shure i have enough power for any of my passive speakers, when i want to use them, the amp has a built in fan and of course it's noisy, it's a cheap amp but disable it doesn't do any harm, the amp has a big heatsink and the fan is only for use in the summer when it's hot, in a hot room,club playing loud.

Reactions: Dom

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think next year I’m going to sell my current set up
Which is fairly low end I’d say
Yamaha AS201 amp and yammy CD player yammy wxad-10 and monitor audio bronze 2 standmounters.
It’s good enough I suppose but I think I’m gonna go kef lsx. I hardly listen to cds just deezer and the sound is right up my street. Father in law has them and they are lovely. The detail and soundstage is totally mind blowing I feel.
I sometimes think about ls50s on my amp instead but worry I’d then want a better amp.

Reactions: Dom

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I think next year I’m going to sell my current set up
Which is fairly low end I’d say
Yamaha AS201 amp and yammy CD player yammy wxad-10 and monitor audio bronze 2 standmounters.
It’s good enough I suppose but I think I’m gonna go kef lsx. I hardly listen to cds just deezer and the sound is right up my street. Father in law has them and they are lovely. The detail and soundstage is totally mind blowing I feel.
I sometimes think about ls50s on my amp instead but worry I’d then want a better amp.

LSX certainly need a sub. Factor in the cost of that.

Reactions: Shildondurham

gasolin

The cheapst 9 band equalizer from behringer,FBQ800 and 0.5 and 1.0 meter cordial em trs cable

I want something to fine tune the sound like when i use studio monitors, the next step up
Behringer FBQ1502HD Ultragraph Pro takes up much more space although it's a much better looking eq i and don't cost twice as much as the behringer FBQ800 it's 2x15 nband instead of 1x9 band.

Personally i wanted lower frequerncy like 31.5hz to have more fine tuning of the deepest bass and a low cut fileter at 50hz (which the bigger behringer eq has) instead of 75hz, which i think is perfect for my 55hz-3db rated speakers , to have a low cut of 50 hz instead of 75hz. the bigger brother is just a little to big.

Different mixer would be to high for me to use since my turntable is above the top of my rack, hifi furniture, my pro cable (trs,jack) is almost touching my tt shelf

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

I have a B&W sub for my main setup that goes down to 23hz, has a crossover and delivers in an average living. Perfect sub for both music and film.

Sold my old late 90s era sub that I used less and less for my second setup which didn't go as low and didnt have a crossover knob. Now looking for one that can kind of level with the B&W sub. It doesn't need to go to 23hz but 35 is about the minimum.

Currently I am waiting for an answer from 2 manufacturers in order to definitely cut the rope.

D

Deleted member 160668

Next purchase is new speakers and am currently listening to different options.

So far I've heard ProAc D20R, Harbeth C7ES-3 XD, PMC twenty5i 23 and 24 and Focal Kantra 1 on the end of my Sugden amp.
The clear winner for my ears so far are the Harbeth speakers which were amazing.
Next to to listen to are some more ProAcs and also the Q Acoustic Concept 500 and I've got appointments this weekend and next weekend. I'd also like to hear Audio Note too.

I then intend getting a home demo of at least one pair - this will definitely include the Harbeths, as I am quite smitten with them and I've already been looking at custom stands for them.

The plan is to make an upgrade either just before or after Christmas.

I want it to be a big and end-game (for me) upgrade. I think the Harbeths would tick that box, so just need to see if there's anything better and be perfectly happy before I spend my cash.

I'm pretty happy with my system now and beyond this upgrade, really can't see me changing much at all for many years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts