What's your latest purchase?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
So a couple of weeks ago I popped in to my local second hand record shop and bought the Shine On CD box set from Pink Floyd. My main reason for the purchase is that it had The Wall in the set. There is unfortunately one album missing, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The box set contains, A Saurcerfull of Secrets, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and of course should have A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
I have to admit I'm 53 years old and very late to the Pink Floyd party, up until March 2023 the only album I'd ever heard was The Wall. As it was the 50th anniversary of DSOTM in March, I bought a CD copy from the same second hand record shop and I have been listening to Wish You Were Here on Spotify, now I have it on CD
So I now have two copies of DSOTM but as the record shop owner said you can never have too many copies of that.
What was your latest music purchase?

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_075808935_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230809_075808935_HDR.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Not purchased anything for ages. The nearest record shop is 15 miles away in a large shopping centre. Too much faffing around.
I'm really surprised we have a second hand record shop in my little town. I only discovered it a few months ago when going to the chemist apparently it's been in town for a few years, but we are such a little town, if you need any major shops you have to go out of town so I don't go into the town centre regularly. But then again we are not the typical cloned UK high street it's all independent shops apart from the co-op and Aldi
Greta Van Fleet - Starchaser.
I'll have to check that one out. I am hoping for some inspiration from this thread😊

DCarmi

I picked up Islands by King Crimson on vinyl relatively cheaply, this week. Fills one of the holes in my KC collection, most of which is vinyl. I've listened to it once and need to have another go or two before I pass judgement (for whatever that is worth).

In the Court of the Crimson King and also Red are the two KC albums I'd recommend.

Reactions: Cricketbat70
I'm really surprised we have a second hand record shop in my little town. I only discovered it a few months ago when going to the chemist apparently it's been in town for a few years, but we are such a little town, if you need any major shops you have to go out of town so I don't go into the town centre regularly. But then again we are not the typical cloned UK high street it's all independent shops apart from the co-op and Aldi

I'll have to check that one out. I am hoping for some inspiration from this thread😊
You are very lucky. We have a few large towns and cities but it's only Kingston Upon Thames that has an HMV. It's 15 miles then assuming there is parking spaces you have queue for ages then a 10 minute walk... too much messing around. So I tend to buy most of my stuff from the internet. Hate doing that but it saves but every record shop locally has closed.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
You are very lucky. We have a few large towns and cities but it's only Kingston Upon Thames that has an HMV. It's 15 miles then assuming there is parking spaces you have queue for ages then a 10 minute walk... too much messing around. So I tend to buy most of my stuff from the internet. Hate doing that but it saves but every record shop locally has closed.
The little record shop in my hometown. Arkham Records.

Attachments

• arkham.jpg
    arkham.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: plastic penguin

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Two deals I had to jump on (now-rare music purchases for me, at any price, in any format): 2 new CDs for $7.98 each (plus 6% tax), shipping included, from Amazon, last week or so:

Miles Davis, In A Silent Way, and
Thelonious Monk, Monk's Dream

I had FLAC files of all my Miles (n=15) and Monk (n=10) albums (most of which I've borrowed), except for these two -only had as 320kbps downloads of these from a long-ago Microsoft subscription. I also have 2 favorite CDs to play -at a bargain.

Two record shops left in my town. One specializes in new and used LPs, and the other buys and sells all formats and miscellaneous music things/curios.

Last edited:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
the last i bought were two compilations of funk belgium music from the 70´s , a fela kuti 3 sides live Lp with Ginger Baker in 1970 also a doble from Sun Ra and his arkestra, i do like 70´s rythm either rock , afro beat or jazz in it´s diferent forms

Reactions: Al ears

Winter

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
So a couple of weeks ago I popped in to my local second hand record shop and bought the Shine On CD box set from Pink Floyd. My main reason for the purchase is that it had The Wall in the set. There is unfortunately one album missing, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The box set contains, A Saurcerfull of Secrets, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and of course should have A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
I have to admit I'm 53 years old and very late to the Pink Floyd party, up until March 2023 the only album I'd ever heard was The Wall. As it was the 50th anniversary of DSOTM in March, I bought a CD copy from the same second hand record shop and I have been listening to Wish You Were Here on Spotify, now I have it on CD
So I now have two copies of DSOTM but as the record shop owner said you can never have too many copies of that.
What was your latest music purchase?
Jethro tull s broadsword 40th beast cd edition arrives friday !!!

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Just coming here to share my pain that all I seem to be doing is listening to new purchases on rotation. I seem to have bought so many albums recently that that existing catalogue isn’t getting a look-in 😢

Must impulse buy less vinyl.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I just purchased "Alessandro Marcello's Concertos for Oboe and Strings in D Minor".
CD purchased on line I'm afraid. There are no record shops for miles around here.
As well as this I bought Bach Keyboard Concertos played on the Piano.
The musicologists of today have decided that where Bach's concerned the Piano is out, and the Harpsichord is in. I'm sure you can all guess why.
The thing is, even if the Piano is an anachronism when playing Bach, I really couldn't give a hoot. I prefer the sound of a Piano, than the sound of a Harpsichord.
When I Googled Bach played on Piano, it came at me with .... But.....this that and the other.
I thought; "I didn't ask the question so I could be bloody lectured by Google about the crime of playing Bach on Piano instead of a Harpsichord."

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The lumineers all albums, the four seasons, best of Mozart, pachelbel canon, and a mystery box of vinyl all classical apparently (it's off ebay so it's an unknown)
I agree with the moderator, "keep record shops going" but it's not possible offline now where I live, being 40 I used to love going to concepts in Durham town center and hmv for DJ records etc, if they didn't have it in they'd order it, it's how I got my first clash cd London's calling.
I fall for the trap most do and that's finding it much cheaper online from the comfort of the sofa and having it hand delivered, i would prefer the tactile experience of browsing through piles of unknown records in a favourite genre like I did hmv but like everything high street it's a shadow of its former self

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts