Question What's your dream system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I’m a bit limited with width in the present room, but it think I could squeeze this in:-

dCS Vivaldi stack - transport, DAC, clock and preamp.
Dan d’Agostino power amp - the Progression S350 should be plenty
Wilson Audio Sabrina X - unless the Sasha V will fit
Technics SL-1000R turntable system
Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck
Magnum Dynalab tuner

Should be some change from £300k.

Or a British system:-
Linn Klimax DSM 3 - streamer/preamp
ATC SCM50ASLT in oak
SME Synergy turntable system

at about 1/3rd of the price, and more than enough!
Your first system is pretty much what I would have said apart from maybe the Wilson Audio Sasha DAW , or perhaps Magico M6, and an Tech DAS Air Force 1 deck

Reactions: nopiano

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Do you know why the M66 is so expensive, because I’d thought it was the M33 without the power amp? I realise it’s not out yet, as I had to look it up!
I was wondering that myself, it does have new DIRAC room correction for up to four sub woofers along with the full version of DIRAC live , I think the DIRAC license fee is £300 lets say the DIRAC Bass is £600 while they recover development costs but still.

I don’t really have a dream system. I just hope that when I do upgrade that I hear improvements.
There’s so much great stuff out there that I’d like to try/have. I’d like to get an Avid turntable in here to see if they are worth the money. Same with some Sonus Faber floorstanders (lots to chose from) and Focal sopra 3. As good as my Luxman cd player is, I’d like to hear the d-10x too.

Your first system is pretty much what I would have said apart from maybe the Wilson Audio Sasha DAW , or perhaps Magico M6, and an Tech DAS Air Force 1 deck
I wondered if we’d be fairly close in our ideas. The Tech DAS is so HUGE and I’d have no idea how to set it up, whereas the Technics would be a cinch!

If the Wilsons were bit bright then some Franco Serblin Accordo Essence, or some Sonus fabers might be better.

Reactions: Al ears

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’d start with a quality USB cable from the pc & then build up components from the ground using a floating floor.

I think when it comes to amp & speakers, I’m not too bothered. As long as I’ve got the best interconnects and speaker cable I could afford, I’ll be confident of it sounding magnificent. Cutting corners with the budget on cables is a sure fire way to lose quality on my lossless files. I can’t bear listening to anything less than 10,000 kbps. Awful, sounds so compressed and dead.

podknocker

I’d start with a quality USB cable from the pc & then build up components from the ground using a floating floor.

I think when it comes to amp & speakers, I’m not too bothered. As long as I’ve got the best interconnects and speaker cable I could afford, I’ll be confident of it sounding magnificent. Cutting corners with the budget on cables is a sure fire way to lose quality on my lossless files. I can’t bear listening to anything less than 10,000 kbps. Awful, sounds so compressed and dead.
Off to the naughty step! ;)

Friesiansam

Don't forget good quality mains cables, with solid gold pins in the plugs. You don't want those electrons, that have travelled many miles around the National Grid, to get tripped-up in the last few feet...

Gray

No neighbours!

My dream every day.
By coincidence, the dream came true today!
...was playing music with my usual due consideration for the neighbours when for the first time in years, I saw both the man and wife clearing off from the house attached to mine.

Time for a test.
I listened more than 20dB above 'more than loud enough'.....at the loudest I've played any hi-fi I've ever owned - just for one track.

I normally sit less than 2 metres from my speakers, but had to stand up and walk around to avoid the direct blast.
Track had plenty of bass and synthesizer energy and I was a bit concerned about the amp and speakers, but I suffered more, with severe sweating and some tinnitus when the music stopped 🤪

Although nobody could listen at such levels for long, I've always said that there isn't a decent system that doesn't sound better when louder.

Mine became a better system today, not least as this was the track I used....the great bass start, double symbol hit and I was off......
Give it a try, especially if you're in a detached house.
'Do What You Wanna Do' indeed I did:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlve5vtGKEA

WayneKerr

By coincidence, the dream came true today!
...was playing music with my usual due consideration for the neighbours when for the first time in years, I saw both the man and wife clearing off from the house attached to mine.

Time for a test.
I listened more than 20dB above 'more than loud enough'.....at the loudest I've played any hi-fi I've ever owned - just for one track.

I normally sit less than 2 metres from my speakers, but had to stand up and walk around to avoid the direct blast.
Track had plenty of bass and synthesizer energy and I was a bit concerned about the amp and speakers, but I suffered more, with severe sweating and some tinnitus when the music stopped 🤪

Although nobody could listen at such levels for long, I've always said that there isn't a decent system that doesn't sound better when louder.

Mine became a better system today, not least as this was the track I used....the great bass start, double symbol hit and I was off......
Give it a try, especially if you're in a detached house.
'Do What You Wanna Do' indeed I did:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlve5vtGKEA
Absolutely brilliant :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gray

Witterings

I've had time to really think about this, most agree speaker placement and room correction / bass traps will likely play a bigger part in improving sound than any system will so for me the biggest upgrade could be a new wife that wouldn't object.

Problem is it'd cost me a **** load more :ROFLMAO: .

Last edited:

jjbomber

It’s equivalent to 40% off, but buying at 2.5 times the original price is a big ask. If I px my ATCs, which are six years old, I still need to contribute five grand. I decided to pass.
My KEF Reference speakers are 30 years old. Would be £2,700 credit against £7650, so £5k for me as well to upgrade. That's around 35% off. The 40% is the maximum if the new speakers are exactly 2.5 times the original trade in speakers, which is unrealistic. Add in the 2nd hand value of the speakers traded in, and it's even less.

However, still tempting.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I raised a similar question on another thread and I thought it was fun! Thank you for starting this up!

I think to entertain such idea requires one vital component to be in place, no not cables :)
THE WIFE. Without a sympathetic wife (or generous loan) this project isn't going to be launched!

I love those type of questions because I keep changing my mind on this, almost by the hour.

podknocker

I've changed my mind about my dream speakers.

I forgot all about the Focal Sopra 2 in orange!

These cost about £13k at the moment.

They'd cope with a pair of NAD M23 amps.

Last edited:

Witterings

I've changed my mind about my dream speakers.

I forgot all about the Focal Sopra 2 in orange!

These cost about £13k at the moment.

They'd cope with a pair of NAD M23 amps.

Used pair on e-bay for £7999

Go on .... you know you want to :giggle:

podknocker

Used pair on e-bay for £7999

Go on .... you know you want to :giggle:
OMG torture. IF my numbers came up. I'd probably just stare at them, even with no tunes playing. Beautiful.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I don't know. The system I've got sounds like my dream system. I couldn't imagine an audio system sounding any better than what I'm using now. I don't know enough about such things. Moreover, I bet everyone here has systems that sound as good or better than mine.

Friesiansam

I don't know. The system I've got sounds like my dream system. I couldn't imagine an audio system sounding any better than what I'm using now. I don't know enough about such things. Moreover, I bet everyone here has systems that sound as good or better than mine.
I'm happy with what I have too, doesn't mean you can't dream about what you might like, if you suddenly had far more money to spare...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts