What would you do with this gear...Linn Isobarik Sara

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A friend has taken note of my new found obsession with all that is hifi and given me her Dad's old set up that was destined for the scrap heap. It's a Rotel set up with a Dual 604TT. Now I'm definitly taking the TT to add to my set up but the quandry is with the speakers. A pair of Linn Isobarik Saras. I've done a google and they're appear to be a popular speaker and something people strive to hold onto. But they're pretty beaten up and not sounding too great. So is it:

a) the bin

b)sell to the 2nd hand shop (although I don't know if they'll even take them)

c) another option

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would ensure they are watertight then float them out to sea (or a nearby river/lake/reservoir) after setting them on fire
emotion-14.gif

I always hated the sound from the Saras. (V bad memories of their overbearing and - literally - monotonous sound.)

Or sell 'em on ebay for whatever you can get from some middle-aged Linn and Dire Straits/Phil Collins fanatic.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andypalf:But they're pretty beaten up and not sounding too great.

The "not sounding too great" is fine. That is how they would have sounded when new. Put on "Face Value" by Phil Collins and turn them right up.

If you have a crashing headache within 5 minutes and cannot bear the experience any longer (and the bass sounds like someone is smacking you on both ears simultaneously with cricket bats ) then they are performing exactly as designed.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
See if you can tidy up the cabinets a bit (wax polish etc) then eBay all the way. You are probably looking at £100 plus even if they are really tatty.

The thing is that the Saras need really good amplification to give their best (hence why most people ran them from Naim 180s and 250s) - integrated amps just won't cut it, so you are better off selling them to (as Chebby said) a Linn/Naim fan who will pay a good price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts