What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
My man cave is dimly lit

Disc 1 - black vinyl

Disc 2 - green marble effect vinyl

Look again Steve. Record one is darker, and laid flat, it looks black, but I can assure you that it isn't.

Hold it up to that tiny candle you call a light. :p

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I started on a few albums today, but couldn't get very far into them before having to take them off.

The guilty are:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Cult - Electric

Kraftwerk - Radio Activity

Then I pulled out an album I hadn't ever played all the way through (double album), and certainly not for quite a while. What a corker, I'd kind of forgotten what an awesome keyboard player Brian Auger was, surely one of the greatest ever.

cover_2913201042012_r.jpg

For those of you who don't know, check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUP527txeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHaMPIa-F4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoeIGt8XHs

Great videos, BBB. The Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger album, 'Streetnoise' is a great double album although a vinyl copy, I would imagine, would probably cost about £100 these days. 'Open' is a great album too. The epitome of 60's swinging London.

I do keep an eye out for those two Jim, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near £100 for a copy, so my search will probably end fruitless.

Do you agree about his keyboard prowess?

Oh God, yes. I love his sound and he's clearly got jazz and probably classial chops. He always looked so cool too as did Julie Driscoll.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
This morning some Americana

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow

John Cougar - American Fool

John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

This afternoon, being excited by the announcement

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I started on a few albums today, but couldn't get very far into them before having to take them off.

The guilty are:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Cult - Electric

Kraftwerk - Radio Activity

Then I pulled out an album I hadn't ever played all the way through (double album), and certainly not for quite a while. What a corker, I'd kind of forgotten what an awesome keyboard player Brian Auger was, surely one of the greatest ever.

cover_2913201042012_r.jpg

For those of you who don't know, check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUP527txeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHaMPIa-F4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoeIGt8XHs

Great videos, BBB. The Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger album, 'Streetnoise' is a great double album although a vinyl copy, I would imagine, would probably cost about £100 these days. 'Open' is a great album too. The epitome of 60's swinging London.

I do keep an eye out for those two Jim, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near £100 for a copy, so my search will probably end fruitless.

Do you agree about his keyboard prowess?

Oh God, yes. I love his sound and he's clearly got jazz and probably classial chops. He always looked so cool too as did Julie Driscoll.

I saw him 3 or 4 years ago in an arts centre in Stratford Upon Avon, about 30 people in the audience. He's not a young man, but I was blown away by his playing, but the rest of the band (including his son and daughter) weren't the absolute greatest. I still enjoyed it though.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

ditto - absolutely gutted though as I am working Friday morning so no chance I will get 2 tickets

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

ditto - absolutely gutted though as I am working Friday morning so no chance I will get 2 tickets

feel for you. Was off work Thursday and Friday so first thing I do tomorrow will be blocking out 9am to 10am. My birthday falls within the dates she is doing so my wife agrees getting tickets would be a good present!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
stevebrock said:

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

feel for you. Was off work Thursday and Friday so first thing I do tomorrow will be blocking out 9am to 10am. My birthday falls within the dates she is doing so my wife agrees getting tickets would be a good present!

I would like to go, but I'm not a massive fan, and I do feel I' might be denying a true fan a chance to see her if I buy a ticket, so I'm edging on the side of not trying.

I'm sure it'll be great though.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I would like to go, but I'm not a massive fan, and I do feel I' might be denying a true fan a chance to see her if I buy a ticket, so I'm edging on the side of not trying.

I remember going to see Muse, at Wembley. The guys sat next to us weren't the slightest bit interested, just chatted through the whole gig....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I remember going to see Muse, at Wembley. The guys sat next to us weren't the slightest bit interested, just chatted through the whole gig....

I really don't understand people like that either !

I really want to see her, but I have no chance of a ticket

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Hiya Steve.

Maybe someone could get a ticket for you?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'd never do that. If I go to gigs, and someone feels the need to spend their time talking, I usually let them know my thoughts. I have been known to use the foulest language, even to ladies.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Hiya Steve.

Maybe someone could get a ticket for you?

My dad would normally try but he is out of the country!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'd never do that. If I go to gigs, and someone feels the need to spend their time talking, I usually let them know my thoughts. I have been known to use the foulest language, even to ladies.

I guess that's fair enough. My view is that there's nothing to be gained. Call me a cynic, but folks like that will never change, so what's the point in getting excited about it. That's just me...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I guess that's fair enough. My view is that there's nothing to be gained. Call me a cynic, but folks like that will never change, so what's the point in getting excited about it. That's just me...

I take that attitude when I can move (open air gig/festival), but if I'm in a fixed seat, and someone has no interest in shutting up, I will mention it.

If they want to talk, go to a pub.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I take that attitude when I can move (open air gig/festival), but if I'm in a fixed seat, and someone has no interest in shutting up, I will mention it.

If they want to talk, go to a pub.

Don't get me wrong, I do wonder what they're thinking of, taking a space that could have been occupied by a 'fan'. It's too late once they have a ticket. Mind you, the Muse gig was rubbish!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Short story time. In 1989, I went to see The Cure at Wembley Arena with a mate. I was a massive Cure fan at the time, and couldn't abide any talking during their rather lengthy gigs. Well, I didn't want to miss a second of the gig, and beer had been consumed, and the two guys next to us knew nothing other than the hits, so rather than miss any part of any song, I....(need I go on). >)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
do wonder what they're thinking of, taking a space that could have been occupied by a 'fan'. It's too late once they have a ticket. Mind you, the Muse gig was rubbish!

I've never seen them, and never will, but they are highly rated as a live act, and his technical ability on the guitar is amazing, even if it's not to my taste.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Sutherland Brothers And Quiver-Dream Kid.

If-If.

Joe Cocker-Joe Cocker!

The Gary Burton Quartet with Eberhard Weber-Passengers.

Sly And The Family Stone-Fresh.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
do wonder what they're thinking of, taking a space that could have been occupied by a 'fan'. It's too late once they have a ticket. Mind you, the Muse gig was rubbish!

I've never seen them, and never will, but they are highly rated as a live act, and his technical ability on the guitar is amazing, even if it's not to my taste.

Yes, almost too good to be true?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:

If-If.

Joe Cocker-Joe Cocker!

Hiya Jim.

How is that album? I've heard very little by them, but was impressed by their performance at Woodstock.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

I've got Dance To The Music, There's A Riot Goin On, and Greatest Hits, but I'd really like them all. True genius.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

If-If.

Joe Cocker-Joe Cocker!

Hiya Jim.

How is that album? I've heard very little by them, but was impressed by their performance at Woodstock.

Start with the greatest hits, then buy them all. Amazing band, and you're right, the Woodstock appearance was mind blowing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts