What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Ruts - The Crack

The Stranglers - No More Heroes

Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The Fall - Hit The North 12in single

The Fall - 15 Ways 10in clear vinyl single

Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do (2013 reissue)

Django Django - Remix LP Record Store Day release from 2013

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Can Cladders - The High Llamas

Just how studied and knowing can a pastiche be before it collapses into pointlessness?

Well, I can enjoy about two tracks before I defer to Smile, Smiley Smile and Friends. It's more tolerable than Oasis (LP no.3 onwards)/The Beatles, at least. Like Stereolab, Broadcast, I find the Llamas very seductive in small doses.

Whereas, MMJ I can luxuriate in for many slumbering afternoons and crepuscular evenings despite or maybe because of their obvious debt to Neil Young, The Band, The Allman Brothers, John Prine et al. Perhaps they manage that trick of being greater than the sum of their influences.

Circuitlal - MMJ

It Still Moves - MMJ

Regions Of Light & Sounds Of God - Jim James

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

Just how studied and knowing can a pastiche be before it collapses into pointlessness?

Well, I can enjoy about two tracks before I defer to Smile, Smiley Smile and Friends. It's more tolerable than Oasis (LP no.3 onwards)/The Beatles, at least. Like Stereolab, Broadcast, I find the Llamas very seductive in small doses.

Whereas, MMJ I can luxuriate in for many slumbering afternoons and crepuscular evenings despite or maybe because of their obvious debt to Neil Young, The Band, The Allman Brothers, John Prine et al. Perhaps they manage that trick of being greater than the sum of their influences.

Circuitlal - MMJ

It Still Moves - MMJ

Go on then, as you keep going on about them ( :) ) tomorrow I'm going to find time to investigate My Morning Jacket on Spotify, assuming there's some of their stuff on there.

Meanwhile, a bit of Santana before the match..

51gCbC0kJ%2BL._SX450_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Circuitlal - MMJ

It Still Moves - MMJ

Go on then, as you keep going on about them ( :) ) tomorrow I'm going to find time to investigate My Morning Jacket on Spotify, assuming there's some of their stuff on there.

Meanwhile, a bit of Santana before the match..

51gCbC0kJ%2BL._SX450_.jpg

Hi Dib,

Yes, sorry for bleating on about them, but I'll be interested to read your thoughts if you listen on Spotify. Their stuff is on there.

Not a endless back cat but there's a real sense of development between albums. The first (The Tenessee Fire) and most recent (Circuital) studio albums are very, very different but just about recogniseable as the work of the same band. There's not an album of theirs I don't enjoy but, fwiw, my current favourites are Z and Evil Urges.

Currently playing my absolute, all-things-considered blah blah blah favourite of all-time, almost, perhaps, sometimes:

At Dawn - MMJ, of course.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Time to post my MMJ thoughts as we're on the subject. I was directed to them by Charlie and BBB and I've youtubed and spotified. I think that they do transcend their influences even though you can hear them and it's impossible not to notice them; having said that, they're influenced by top-notch stuff so who care? 'Z' is my favourite so far, although I'm a fan of 'Evil Urges' and some stray songs, the names of which I forget. On 'Z' I really hear Fleet Foxes in the quieter songs, especially in the voices. No bad thing.

I'm making it a priority to track their records down and I'm grateful for the recommendations.

So far today:

The Allman Brothers-Dreams 6lp box

The Allman Brothers-Eat A Peach

Prefab Sprout-Steve McQueen

Country Joe And The Fish-Electric Music For The Mind And Body

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Time to post my MMJ thoughts as we're on the subject. I was directed to them by Charlie and BBB and I've youtubed and spotified. I think that they do transcend their influences even though you can hear them and it's impossible not to notice them; having said that, they're influenced by top-notch stuff so who care? 'Z' is my favourite so far, although I'm a fan of 'Evil Urges' and some stray songs, the names of which I forget. On 'Z' I really hear Fleet Foxes in the quieter songs, especially in the voices. No bad thing.

I'm making it a priority to track their records down and I'm grateful for the recommendations.

So far today:

The Allman Brothers-Dreams 6lp box

The Allman Brothers-Eat A Peach

Prefab Sprout-Steve McQueen

Country Joe And The Fish-Electric Music For The Mind And Body

It's my older brother who is The Allman Brothers afficiando but I'm partial too, although I've never come across Dreams. I'm a sucker for a many album vinyl box!!

Jim, yes I can definitely hear Fleet Foxes in MMJ's sound. Both FF and Bamd Of Horses seemed to steal a commerical and critical march on MMJ. I like all of them, and BOH have supported The Jacket (never called them that and never will again, I just didn't want to repeat the usual shorthand).

Playing:

Tunnel Of Love - Bruce Springsteen

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
I was directed to them by Charlie and BBB

I can't take any credit Jim, I've only ever heard one song.

And is ONE enough, BBB? Shirley Shome Mishtake!!!

In your case Charlie, never.

I may have heard a few more, not sure. "Holdin On To Black Metal" is the only track I know I've heard, and I do like it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Lamb - Lamb 180g reissue

Tansfatty Acid - this track takes be back to the chilled evenings at the Cafe Del Mar, Jose Padilla spinning sipping G&Ts arround 1997/8..........

Moral of the story is got chatting to a beautiful brunette and 15 years later she is the mother of my precious children

Yeah Im nearly through a bottle of Rioja

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I started on a few albums today, but couldn't get very far into them before having to take them off.

The guilty are:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Cult - Electric

Kraftwerk - Radio Activity

Then I pulled out an album I hadn't ever played all the way through (double album), and certainly not for quite a while. What a corker, I'd kind of forgotten what an awesome keyboard player Brian Auger was, surely one of the greatest ever.

cover_2913201042012_r.jpg

For those of you who don't know, check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUP527txeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHaMPIa-F4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoeIGt8XHs

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
Lamb - Lamb 180g reissue

I'm now the owner of two of the 1000 limited edition green vinyl issues. :)

My little lambs. :grin:

Well blow me, I have been playing the black vinyl, imagine my surprise when i just took the remix LP out - green vinyl lol and mine is numbered 000152

I thought it was 2 seperate releases!

Anyway quality release from MOV again

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I started on a few albums today, but couldn't get very far into them before having to take them off.

The guilty are:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Cult - Electric

Then I pulled out an album I hadn't ever played all the way through (double album), and certainly not for quite a while. What a corker, I'd kind of forgotten what an awesome keyboard player Brian Auger was, surely one of the greatest ever.

Great videos, BBB. The Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger album, 'Streetnoise' is a great double album although a vinyl copy, I would imagine, would probably cost about £100 these days. 'Open' is a great album too. The epitome of 60's swinging London.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

The guilty are:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper

The Cult - Electric

Great videos, BBB. The Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger album, 'Streetnoise' is a great double album although a vinyl copy, I would imagine, would probably cost about £100 these days. 'Open' is a great album too. The epitome of 60's swinging London.

I do keep an eye out for those two Jim, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near £100 for a copy, so my search will probably end fruitless.

Do you agree about his keyboard prowess?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
Lamb - Lamb 180g reissue

Well blow me, I have been playing the black vinyl, imagine my surprise when i just took the remix LP out - green vinyl lol and mine is numbered 000152

It's a deep green marble effect isn't it, in bad light you can hardly see the green.

Do you live in a dungeon by any chance? ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Sparks - Kimono My House (Side one only, but what a side)

Rossini: Overtures - Berlin Philharmonic/Herbert Von Karajan - Deutsche Grammophon 1971

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
Lamb - Lamb 180g reissue

It's a deep green marble effect isn't it, in bad light you can hardly see the green.

Do you live in a dungeon by any chance? ;)

My man cave is dimly lit

Disc 1 - black vinyl

Disc 2 - green marble effect vinyl

TRENDING THREADS