What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 197 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
As you can see tonight I grabbed a small seection of LPs at random from the "M" section..

images

Ooh... love that :) Pretty sure I have that....somewhere

Indeed, so I've put this Moody's on..

67e779edd7a0ba1192ca6110.L.jpg

.. a bit harder going this one. Not my favourite.

I'm not too keen either, but still some nice tunes. I suppose my favourite would be 'To Our Childrens Childrens Children' closely followed by 'Days Of Future Passed'.

Long Distance Voyager sounds bloody fantastic on my rig

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward

How good is this - this is timeless, then Mr Burton cuts in - Fooking genius

sorry guys, a bottle of Rioja, had the house to ma self tomight and I'm putting some gas through the KT88s - love it

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Jim-W said:
Very interesting, Charlie. I'm glad you know of John Clare; I guess I was thinking, 'Don't type that:nobody will know who you're on about.' His nature poetry is just beautiful and naturally expressive. I saw his notebooks and manuscripts which have absolutely no punctuation whatsoever. Unrequited love and the Enclosure Acts did for him but the poetry from his stay at the mental hospital in Northampton is strikingly beautiful. 'I Am' is probably the most famous example.

A play about the miner's strike would be interesting. The school I worked at and that I've gone back to is in a pit village, Gedlng in Nottinghamshire. It used to be known as the pit school. The slag heap, now a wooded area and conservation park, well that's the plan, dominates the horizon. Poetic, I guess. I think many of the old mining families have moved away from the area now as, of course, the pit closed when Thatcher decided that she'd had enough crap from the lower orders. Children used to tell me about the divisions within families; I've heard these stories loads of times, especially the ones that end with, '...and they still don't speak to each other today.' Nottinghamshire gave birth to the UDM in 1984, as you know, so it became an area in which the rift between strikers and strike-breakers was intensified. The strike as a microcosm of class struggle is replete with possibilities for powerful drama along with the tragic human cost. I think it's a great idea. Keep at it, Charlie!

sweet holy jesus - am I on the wrong thread :)

Laughs! No, Steve. Sorry for rambling on. Sometimes I get a bit carried away. Aplologies.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm co-culpable too, I'll share the blame. Okay, with the apology out of the way, here's a bit more politcs and poetry shtick.

Jim, your place of work sounds like a deep well of stories relevant to my project. You've sparked off a few other ideas and painted some striking images, so thanks. (UDM, the new view of what was the slag heap and bizarrely John Clare's poetics. Not bizarre really. Everything is linked).

Here in Castleford we've got a huge indoor ski-slope and an open to the elements shopping centre called Freeport. The play and it's possibilities need no exaggerations to convey the ironies of all that remains.

I'm fortunate to have the Headteacher's support with what is intended to be a piece of community theatre. A few current staff have strong ties to both the mining industry and the police force. We will tread cautiously but honestly, I hope.

I'm just going to brush up on The Enclosure Acts now. Everything's eventual,everything's political.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I'm co-culpable too, I'll share the blame. Okay, with the apology out of the way, here's a bit more politcs and poetry shtick.

Jim, your place of work sounds like a deep well of stories relevant to my project. You've sparked off a few other ideas and painted some striking images, so thanks. (UDM, the new view of what was the slag heap and bizarrely John Clare's poetics. Not bizarre really. Everything is linked).

Here in Castleford we've got a huge indoor ski-slope and an open to the elements shopping centre called Freeport. The play and it's possibilities need no exaggerations to convey the ironies of all that remains.

I'm fortunate to have the Headteacher's support with what is intended to be a piece of community theatre. A few current staff have strong ties to both the mining industry and the police force. We will tread cautiously but honestly, I hope.

I'm just going to brush up on The Enclosure Acts now. Everything's eventual,everything's political.

Indeed, Charlie. This has to be quick, not much time. How it may link in is traditional rights and values being eroded by governments. Clare was very sensitive to this and he was deeply troubled by the changes re the countryside. In other words, an expected way of life was threatened. I think you can find links with a myriad of issues that have affected people thoughout the years, including the teaching profession ie pensions, conditions of work etc. Here's an interesting article re Clare and Enclosures:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/09/john-clare-poetry

All the best.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya Steve

stevebrock said:
Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward

How good is this - this is timeless, then Mr Burton cuts in - Fooking genius

sorry guys, a bottle of Rioja, had the house to ma self tomight and I'm putting some gas through the KT88s - love it

WOTW, it is rather good :)

Don't forget to get hold of a a copy of 'Crime Of The Century' by Supertramp. I think you'll like that ;) 'Crisis? What Crisis?' is pretty good too. Funnily enough, probably their most popular 'Breakfast In America', doesn't do it for me....

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Fleetwood Mac-Then Play On.

The Allman Brothers Band-Idlewild South

The Allman Brothers Band-Eat A Peach.

The United States Of America-The United States Of America.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I know its Duran Duran but.........

Playing Rio for the first time through my new amp........

Save a Prayer - WTF sounds amazing, the imaging, space aroud the instruments is phenomanal

I know its a naff 80s album - but I grew up on this stuff and its timeless and takes me back 30 years like most of my vinyl

Absolutely no need to apologise, I too have a collection of what you describe as naff 80s album. I call it fantastic pop music, that is the soundtrack of my life.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Fleetwood Mac-Then Play On.

Blimey! First time I've come across someone else that knows that album :) 'Without You' is awesome, imo.

This is the one for me..

51MprRJWRGL._SY450_.jpg

I don't know that one... I'll have to look it up

It's a great recording, but 25 mins of "Rattlesnake Shake" is pushing it a bit
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Red Snapper - Prince Blimey

Ruby - Salt Peter

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth (album)

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Barbed Wire Kisses

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It would have been Viv Stanshall's brthday today so I've played:

The Bonzo Dog Band-The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse in glorious mono.

The Bonzo Dog Band-Keynsham.

Vivian Stanshall-Sir Henry At Rawlinson End. Some of the greatest poetry of the twentieth century. Bloody funny too.

I might play the rather dark 'Sir Henry at N'didi's Kraal.' if I feel brave enough later.

Hope the ginger geezer is chortling away with his chums over a bottle of 'Entre Deux Legs' or chilled paraffino. Such a rare talent.

TRENDING THREADS