What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
The Sutherland Brothers And Quiver-Dream Kid.

If-If.

Joe Cocker-Joe Cocker!

The Gary Burton Quartet with Eberhard Weber-Passengers.

Sly And The Family Stone-Fresh.

Hiya Jim.

How is that album? I've heard very little by them, but was impressed by their performance at Woodstock.

Start with the greatest hits, then buy them all. Amazing band, and you're right, the Woodstock appearance was mind blowing.

What I liked, apart from the rest of the sound, was the brass. Is that typical?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

They're so hard to define, across genres, but when they're good, they are f*****g good.

I think you must have heard "I want to take you higher", and as that's almost the greatest funk tune of all time, you'll struggle to find anything you like more, but do try the greatest hits, they'll be loads that you know, that you didn't know you knew.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

They're so hard to define, across genres, but when they're good, they are f*****g good.

I think you must have heard "I want to take you higher", and as that's almost the greatest funk tune of all time, you'll struggle to find anything you like more, but do try the greatest hits, they'll be loads that you know, that you didn't know you knew.

Righto ;) Whilst on the subject of brass, have you tried Chicago-Chicago Transit Authority ? Amazing brass on that, and some really awesome tunes. Good SQ too :) BTW, you tried that Roy Harper tune yet?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Righto ;) Whilst on the subject of brass, have you tried Chicago-Chicago Transit Authority ? Amazing brass on that, and some really awesome tunes. Good SQ too :) BTW, you tried that Roy Harper tune yet?

I really like Chicago- 25 or 6 to 4, that is a great track, but with them being Chicago, I've not bothered checking anything else out from that period.

I'll try the Roy Harper track now, but I warn you, I've just been jumping around like an idiot to "I want to take you higher", so it might not compare well.

What's the name of the RH track?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I really like Chicago- 25 or 6 to 4, that is a great track, but with them being Chicago, I've not bothered checking anything else out from that period.

I'll try the Roy Harper track now, but I warn you, I've just been jumping around like an idiot to "I want to take you higher", so it might not compare well.

What's the name of the RH track?

'Another Day'. It's only a short tune, but should give you a flavour..

Regarding Chicago, don't be fooled by the stuff they made later. IMO, 'Transit Authority' is a classic, I play it all the time :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

I didn't dislike it, but it didn't wow me either. Reminded me of Donovan actually.

I'm clocking off now, I've a lot of movies to watch, a lot of movies.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I didn't dislike it, but it didn't wow me either. Reminded me of Donovan actually.

I'm clocking off now, I've a lot of movies to watch, a lot of movies.

I think to pick a tune in isolation is always tricky, in the overall scheme of things. If you have the time/can be bothered, check out 'Flat Baroque And Berserk' (album). Btw, he ain't nothin' like that pretentious git Donovan :) Later...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I think to pick a tune in isolation is always tricky, in the overall scheme of things. If you have the time/can be bothered, check out 'Flat Baroque And Berserk' (album). Btw, he ain't nothin' like that pretentious git Donovan :) Later...

Vocally he reminded me of him, but I agree, Donovan is a pretentious t**t. I have a short, and not very interesting story about Donovan, but it's the reason I now think of him as a t**t, not twit.

I've paused the film, so.......................... :wave:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Vocally he reminded me of him, but I agree, Donovan is a pretentious t**t. I have a short, and not very interesting story about Donovan, but it's the reason I now think of him as a t**t, not twit.

I've paused the film, so.......................... :wave:

Please, try to check out some of Roy Harpers stuff. Who knows, you may hate it, but on the other hand, you might have discovered a gem? I really rate him. Those lush guitar sounds, chord sequences...quite refreshing songs. It's unlikely you'll have heard the like.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A classic..

61ogvwjnM-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
81JYHypvFRL._SL1228_.jpg

Must be about 40 years since I saw these at Birmingham Odeon and they played 2 shows the same day if my memories is correct. Anyone remember Brum Odeon?

Don't know Brum Odeon, what with being a pidgeon fancying Northerner, but I too saw Santana about 40 years ago at the Hard Rock in Stretford (backs onto Old Trafford cricket ground). It's a B&Q store these days.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
Freddy58 said:
ifor said:
This thread is not what it was. Chit chat was minimal and contributors were many, but now it's just a bit of a love in between a few. Shame!

Did I do something wrong?

Not at all. Just an observation that it's changed a bit. I preferred it as it was, but that's just me.

I know what you're saying. However, I've always seen this thread as a source of ideas for things to listen to. While the chatty entries are not as succinct as a brief listing of current albums etc being listened to, there are a still a lot of ideas for musical jumping off points.

I'd like to think there's room for both the brief and the chatty entires?

TRENDING THREADS