What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
CJSF said:
Her is a blast from the past, digging through the old LP's again this afternoon, always been a fan of Sandy Nelson, but only ever had this one LP . . . This has not seen the light of day since the early eighties, I put it on out of nostalgia . . . wow!!! drive, dynamics, attack, 'sharp as' !!!! . . . Its typically an early 60's recording left, right and middle, but the cleanliness and leading edges are outstanding. Its a 'best of' record . . . so the sources could be dubious, however with such a clean transcription I suspect its in the main from original master tapes, almost certainly valve equipment, no digital messing about, simply, Sandy giving a personal performance in your music room. Fall over it in a boot sale, worth a £1, it will blow the cobwebs off your system, trust me.

I've heard most of these tracks on CD and downloads, they simply dont compare!!!

'Best of Sandy Nelson', put this link up cos the site wont let me put a picture in:

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt254/CliffStone/SandyNelsonLPIMG_4705.jpg

CJSF

Allow me..

613TLEGR6EL._SL500_.jpg

Thanks 'DIB', you are Gent . . . :) CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
Funny you should mention early 60's "Best of" LP's CJSF and their quality. I bought this LP at a carboot earlier in the summer for next to nothing, dates from the early 60's on the Columbia label, and is a quite outstanding recording. Don't laugh...

512GT5lv3pL._SS500_.jpg

Hi DIB, thats my kind'a music, I would buy that . . . roll on next year, extension of the hobby; boot sales for old vinyl and old camera kit. I had a chat with a friend a few months back, he knows his stuff, reckoned the late 50's, 60's recordings were potentially the mutts nuts, quality mics and recording equipment, little or no interference from multi tracking. It was the reply technology that was behind. ;)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Here you go CJSF.

Did you click on the tree icon and paste the link at the URL box?

700GerryRafIMG_4706.jpg

Thanks El Hefe, that is exactly what I did, but it wont let me past it in . . . strange cos I have done it previously, (a few weeks ago).

CJSF

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I am signing off for the night with another 80s classic....She is one rocker...her rendition of Have You ever Seen The Rain is definitely one of the best cover version I have heard...

51RHC5ZQ7CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Full of cold but still luxuriating in the many wonders of The Beach Boys' Smile Sessions.
The sound lovely on vinyl. Three sides of mono, which makes up the current approximation of the 60's Smile album, then a fourth side of mostly stereo extras.
It all sounds very impressive. I keep trying to listen to it with contemporaneous ears. As in, I've been playing Revolver and Sgt. Pepper, to grasp a scintilla of what it may have been like to actually hear this back in 1966/67. Had it been issued then.

Other listens:

Under A Red Sky & Empire Burlesque - Bob Dylan

I seem to becoming an apologist for his little loved 80s/early 90's albums, but I have to say how marvellous they are. Great songs on both, and despite Arthur Baker's best attempts to sabotage the former, both sound good.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Continuing the Dylan weekend, it's New Morning and Good As I Been To You. Only had time for one more today, and that's Requia by John Fahey. This latter album keeps dragging me back to it's sweet chiming charms, it's ancient longing and chilling ache. It's all in the way he plays those steel strings.

Edit: one last album has been played before the inevitable clang of Monday morning crashes through the blind,and it's got to be the perfect Sunday night entertainment, Dylan's sublime Time Out Of Mind. From start to finish its a journey in the ancient and modern traditions in American popular music forms. Particularly drawn to Cold Irons Bound, Not Dark Yet and the closing epic, Highlands. So good, I may have to instantly revisit all of its 16 minutes right now.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My wife has dug out an old box of vinyl from her student days, and what's more has the audacity to suggest my Dylan & The Beach Boys LPs take a rest tonight!!
So in their esteemed place we have, Everything But The Girl (various tracks from their early albums which I really like), a sickly smooth Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album (the green cover one, not too keen on the post-Rumours stuff) and now the smoothest of the lot, Sade's Diamond Life. Very slick, yet I love her voice. I just can't dissociate this album from the "Thatcherite nineteen haties". Plus, she married/is married to still (?) Robert Elms. Who I simply can't abide. Irrational and non-musical criteria for struggling to give an album a chance I know, but there you go.

Still to come: The B52's, Chris Isaak, The Carpenters, Style Council and The Small Faces.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
My wife has dug out an old box of vinyl from her student days, and what's more has the audacity to suggest my Dylan & The Beach Boys LPs take a rest tonight!! So in their esteemed place we have, Everything But The Girl (various tracks from their early albums which I really like), a sickly smooth Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album (the green cover one, not too keen on the post-Rumours stuff) and now the smoothest of the lot, Sade's Diamond Life. Very slick, yet I love her voice. I just can't dissociate this album from the "Thatcherite nineteen haties". Plus, she married/is married to still (?) Robert Elms. Who I simply can't abide. Irrational and non-musical criteria for struggling to give an album a chance I know, but there you go. Still to come: The B52's, Chris Isaak, The Carpenters, Style Council and The Small Faces.

Sounds like it is going to be a long evening . Good Luck .

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Simon Lucas said:
My pleasure. I got my copy of Spirit of Eden in a Charity shop, too - it's thin and bendy but it sounds OK (once I'd paid to put it through the local secondhand vinyl emporium's Monks, anyway). I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the relative quality.

My copy of Laughing Stock arrived around a week ago, so being aware that there has been an issue with the inner sleeve possibly marking the vinyl, I removed it very carefully, only to find some light scratches all over track one, side one.

It's gone back, with a new copy on the way, and hopefully without any marks this time.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now listening to Buttshakers Soul Party Vol 1 and Vol 2.

I hope this picture of Vol 2 is ok, Vol 1 is a definite no I think.

Corking albums of soul, boogaloo and raw funk, guaranteed to make you wanna dance. I especially recommend vol 2.

R-2208767-1269933460_m.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Normal service resumed: my wife is studying tonight, so I'm I'm charge of what's on.

1) Desolation Row - Bob Dylan
2) Under A Red Sky - Bob Dylan

I love this album. Unfairly maligned because it followed on from the universally acclaimed and admittedly stunning Oh, Mercy.

3) Katy Lied - Steely Dan
4) Fundamental - Pet Shop Boys
5) Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

51PM5WXH1HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41ViujXJljL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51FkqXbz5yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started mellow, which then got me in the mood for some classic jazz, which then led me to something far more groovy.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Normal service resumed: my wife is studying tonight, so I'm I'm charge of what's on. 1) Desolation Row - Bob Dylan 2) Under A Red Sky - Bob Dylan I love this album. Unfairly maligned because it followed on from the universally acclaimed and admittedly stunning Oh, Mercy. 3) Katy Lied - Steely Dan 4) Fundamental - Pet Shop Boys 5) Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Isn't "Desolation Row" on "Highway 61 Revisited"? Picked as the Observer's best track of all time some years ago - stunning, but too long for modern ears!

Listening to "Woodface" myself at the mo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts